T Nation

Socialized Healthcare... Yeah

Greek Health System Opts for Amputation as Money-Saver

This Saturday, one of Greece�¢??s most respected newspapers, To Vima, reported that the nation�¢??s largest government health insurance provider would no longer pay for special footwear for diabetes patients. Amputation is cheaper, says the Benefits Division of the state insurance provider.

The new policy was announced in a letter to the Pan-Hellenic Federation of People with Diabetes. The Federation disputes the science behind the decision of the Benefits Division. In a statement, the group argues that the decision is contrary to evidence as presented in the international scientific literature.

Greece�¢??s National Healthcare System was created in the early 1980s, during the tenure of Prime Minister Andreas Papandreou. Papandreou, an academic, won election under the slogan, �??�?�»�?�»�?�±�?�³�?�®, which is the Greek word for Change.

Just wanted to post this, because some people seriously argued that government run healthcare systems are just swell and "death panels" are alarmist nonsense.

So, there already seem to be amputation panels, and I am not even going to go into the UKs NICE programm.

How long before Grandma is told she does not need her expensive meds, unproductive as she is?

You have downs, this shit already occurs in Privatized Healthcare. So you got anything else explains why Governmental Healthcare is shitty?

Did you mean to post this in PWI?

Oh shit guys, PWI is invading.... Soon we'll all be sucked into the bickering abyss that is PWI. RUN THE FUCK AWAY!

you do know greece's economy is severely fucked up right now?

I thought I did!

You do know that most people would still prioritize differently?

I don't find the news that bad. And neither do you, Orion. After all, the reality of socialized medicine in Greece now stands unvarnished.

I'm a fan of socialized medcine - to a degree, however.
Only basic treatment, and that includes amputation in some cases, should be available to all.

(too much) fancy shit means you pay.

Well, clearly this is not real socialized medicine.

(just thought I'd save our resident apologists the trouble)

You pay either way.

Only in this case, it appears it really could cost one an arm and a leg!

One can only shake one's head at such willing ignorance.

Private health insurance cannot do any such thing. There are many levels of appeal if you do not like the treatment they recommend. With government run insurance you appeal to the same people that make the shitty decision in the first place.

But you do not appeal to slimy, greedy capitalist, but to wise and benevolent civil servants.

Unfortunately these civil servants are all too often in the pocket of the capitalists but that is another discussion.

Too bad people don't just pay for their health care without any third party involvement. No more $ 25 aspirin and if you wanted special shoes instead of amputation it is your own choice.

Spend some of that personal junk food budget on diabetes control and I suspect less would have diabetes. Just a thought.

Well, I am the partner at a large company. Part of my job is picking the health plan, our renewal is 11/1.

Several companies are quitting the business because they can't make a profit, those that remained offerred rates 20-30% higher than 2010 because ObamaCare already is forcing expensive mandates on the company.

To keep it revenue neutral, I switched to a high deductible policy with a Health Saving Account --- basically the first $5000 is on the employee, then the insurance kicks in at 80%. In other words, it is useless for people unless they get really sick or have a car wreck or the like.

I told them this was the "Change" people voted for.

Coming to your health plan soon.

(Groucho) Marx's Health Insurance:
"...and if you lose a leg we will help you find it!"

They're going to start offering the same treatment for headaches too!

This ^^^

I am the HR Manager at my company, and our COO and I pick our health care plan.... and you are 100% correct, we are doing almost the exact same thing.

Congressional approval ratings in our company are currently running at 5%.