Social Media Fitness Celebs Getting What They Deserve?

Positive attitude.

Getting smarter after an injury.

Sci Fi reference.

I like where Omar is going. In 10 years, I’ll start checking him out.

By then, I guess there will be 3-d holograms in my living room. In the future, videos will be old school. I’ll be like," don’t listen to holograms, watch old videos!"

1 Like

I’ve only watched a few of the Omar guy’s videos, but I am inclined to agree with your assessment.

He’s not the biggest, strongest or most shredded, but he’s a young man with some good accomplishments under his belt and a physique that reflects those achievements. He’s passionate about training, good-looking, articulate and he seems very genuine.

I suppose that makes him an anti-Blaha in the world of Youtube fitness personalities. I say good for him and good for what he’s doing.

There is this new fad of people on youtube of putting videos of them talking on youtube about whatever: fitness, do-it-yourself, fashion, video games, etc. It’s the new thing to make money off young and bored people. So much people started doing it since some are making a lot of money with it. It’s so cringey seeing all those videos on the youtube playlist.

I was also impressionable when I was young and first started, when I didn’t have much perspective but I never understood how could you listen to a video like this in those days when it first started. Full minutes of people saying all kind of stuff that doesn’t matter to anyone else but them, explaining all their lives on the camera, ‘‘confiding’’ themselves and blablabla.

I read what other people write on forums (when it’s not too long) but it takes very little time compared to a video and it’s just not the same thing. It’s only in the end goal of practicing my written english since I never use it. I don’t think I would have stayed here for so long if this forum was in my first language. But really what the hell?

It’s actually all the lame people you meet in daily life that have the opportunity to express themselves in an anonymous written format.

Pretty sure that ain’t true… Like shit, how many people go from losing an ACL to rehab and right back to deadlifting 500lbs (off mats) for a bunch of reps. Or who deadlifts close to 700lbs with a broken foot and a damn shopping list worth of previous injuries? There are some really exceptional individuals here on T-Nation.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch, Stu! I ended up watching a blaha video (wasn’t too bad) then I get a video show up on my stream about “exposing” him which I was silly enough to look at. I stopped that video after the main point was that he is bald LOL and now my youtube stream if filled with this crap (even friggin Layne Norton is in on it)

I’m hoping some Sunday morning Benni Magnusson ("people will be masters of what they do or masters of excuses " LOL ) will sort this out.

I normally don’t like bumping old threads, but I’ve still been keeping up with the continued self-ruin of Jason’s Blaha, and I came across this little article earlier today giving a nice summary of just how ridiculous his whole online story has been.

He really is a constant insult to anyone with any Experience in or respect for actual fitness, science, the military, guns, cars, writing…

S

2 Likes

I’m surprised he hasn’t snapped yet.

The claims have gotten even more ridiculous too.

Supposedly back in his “bodybuilding days” (when he was 260 lbs and 12% bf - at 5’7?! -lol), he would reverse grip bench 500 lbs… (Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!)

Think about that for a moment,… Anyone recall what the Barbarian brothers used to look like? I don’t think they handled weights that Blaha claims to have and they were super human specimens indeed! I’m sure plenty of online fitness folks exaggerate SLIGHTLY, but the thought that Jason honestly thinks people buy any of his insane claims just shows how far gone he is.

S

1 Like

I’m glad I clicked on this. I used to feel bad for periodically watching blaha for the entertainment but now that I know I’m not alone I feel like it’s okay.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve heard the name thrown around, but I had no idea how nuts this dude is.

1 Like

He was actually one of the very first sources of info I came across when I decided to like, lift some weights instead of sitting on my ass all the time about four years ago.

I never followed any of his specific advice, but he seemed like an authority on lifting and I recall a lot of online hype around his ice cream fitness program, insomuch as it was popping up in the searches I was doing at the time.

I got caught up on his shenanigans last night. What a guy!

Damn, that Blaha cat is a pretty sad case. Clearly lied so compulsively for so long that he know longer realises he’s doing it

For anyone that did not tune in yet, here is a podcast Stu, Arash, and I produced last year covering the Shredz and Blaha debacles.

2 Likes

It really is amazing how slow and drawn out his social media “death” is taking. Most (if not all) of his videos have been demonetized by YouTube, so he’s not even making money off spending his days trying to churn out videos on topics he’s covered many times over already… anything not to get a job I suppose…

S

I wanted to be a professional football (soccer) and/or basketball player as a kid. And I was sure I would be. Then I discovered beer and girls and by the time I knew where I was I was in my early 20s and too old for it. So I became a lawyer instead.

Seems like Jason Blaha never had that kind of awakening…which is a shame because he’s obviously a man of reasonable intelligence who could have applied himself productively in any number of ways.

On a similar note:

What does everyone think about all the social media fitness people getting de-monetized on YouTube and having their content taken down/blocked on Facebook and Instagram lately for being inappropriate or ‘triggering’ or whatever?

@IronAndMetal if they’ve violated the host’s terms they really can’t complain about it, to be honest. It’s no different to any other job surely, break the rules and you become subject to them and may lose your salary/revenue stream…

edit not sure what is meant by triggering…

‘Triggering’ means that something offends someone, that something ‘triggers’ them.

For example, Lui Marco had a video up where he said that a bodybuilder had “killer triceps” and that statement was deemed ‘triggering’ (aka offensive) and the video was demonetized.

I guess that was the kind of concept I was referencing. It’s one thing to show dead bodies or lynchings or mob violence of some kind, but quite another to ascribe an adjective to a muscle group…yet they are both deemed inappropriate and unsuitable for any audience?

I completely understand that Google, Instagram, Twitter, etc are all private companies. Thus, play by their rules or don’t play at all. But…is an algorithm that looks for certain words/images but fails to take context into consideration helpful at all?

Google once pulled out of China because of censorship(of course, there were other reasons but this was the one they made a big fuss about publicly). Now it looks like they’re doing the same thing that they’re opposed to. I don’t like it at all.

1 Like