Soccer, What's the Point?

[quote]TheG wrote:
And finally, IT’S NOT CALLED SOCCER! it’s football throughout the whole game your FOOT is always touching the BALL whereas in american football your foot touches the ball once in the whole game. american football should be known as handball, that would make more sense. over 5 billion people call it football you guys should to. [/quote]

Well, we got the name “soccer” from England and it stuck. So really, it’s all your fault.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
American football is much harder hitting and more physically aggressive than rugby.

Sure, but since they are padded up, does it count?

BBB[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
American football is much harder hitting and more physically aggressive than rugby.

Sure, but since they are padded up, does it count?

BBB[/quote]

The pads are more like weapons. Football hits are much harder and more frequent. It is a brutal game.

[quote]Xeneize wrote:
Real men don’t have to denigrate someone else’s sport to feel better about their own. I don’t enjoy watching golf or auto racing, but I’m not going to trash those sports just because they’re not for me.

If you don’t like, don’t watch.

And a lot of people enjoy both soccer and American football. It’s not an either/or.[/quote]

Thank you

I love asking my Mexican friends why they don’t watch the NFL.

“They stop too much!”

Soccer is the cheapest sport in the world to play. The greatest sport for children between 4-12 to play and develope their motorskills, coordination and stamina. Plus have the time of their lifes.

It’s also the fastest growing female sport in the world. I enjoy watching female soccer. Face it, watching women run around playing soccer is very enjoyable. The under ninteen worlds cup sells out everywhere.

Still boring as shit to watch, the guys!

Maybe thats why the fans (hooligans) fight. They’re bored to death!

Soccer is gentleman’s game played by hooligans.

Rugby is of course a hooligan’s game played by gentlemen.

As someone who played a season at linebacker for a team in the UK and continues to play serious rugby at 31 I feel qualified to comment.

The impact’s in American Football are greater but that is a result of the pads only. Collision impact in rugby is still high and yet we don’t go for pads. We also have to deal with much more close contact style stuff and also use our brains regularly to adapt game plans on an adhoc basis to what is happening in front of us much more.

in summary:

Football/soccer is not called ghey-ball by rugby players for spurious reasons

Pads are for Girly-men

Rugby is a real man’s sport.

oops - I may just have slipped into bias there…

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Meanwhile the guy who got hit rolls around on the ground and cries like a little girl so maybe the officials will punish the big meanie who bumped into him with a brightly colored card.

quote]

American football is the greatest sport in the world! That being said, to make this one particular statement you have obviously never watched an NBA game with all of their “floppers” and even the NFL in many instances.

[quote]lizard king wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Meanwhile the guy who got hit rolls around on the ground and cries like a little girl so maybe the officials will punish the big meanie who bumped into him with a brightly colored card.

American football is the greatest sport in the world! That being said, to make this one particular statement you have obviously never watched an NBA game with all of their “floppers” and even the NFL in many instances.
[/quote]

I’ve definitely noticed the increase in Oscar-worthy acting jobs in the NFL this year. Up until this year it was just the punters, but now even linebackers are acting like they got shot when someone brushes against their back. Goodell needs to fine these guys just as much as he does for the illegal hits.

Let me first say I grew up playing soccer, and love the sport. it requires a tremendous amount of skill, endurance, and speed. It also carries the highest injury rate among sports, at least in the US.

I do agree that it’s boring to watch on TV, but I don’t know why people always feel the need to make that known. Kind of similar to all the bodybuilding bashing that goes on even on this site.

As for faking injuries, there is a perfectly good reason for that. It is the only time the players get to rest. I’d like to see a football team have one continuous play for an entire half and see how many of them end up curled up in fetal positions by the end of it.

Heck, look at that one incredible lateral play that D2 (or whatever they were) college team had to win on the last play. The play lasted a minute or 2 and half the players gave up on the play with their hands on their knees bent over panting before it was over. That’s pretty pussy in my book.

I can never get how people think that American Football players are the only people who play a tough sport. Our football coach in HS made the players play another sport of their choosing in the off season. We probably had 10-12 of them try swimming. Only 1 I can remember made it past the first couple weeks. These are the same guys that made fun of us for competing in “sissy” sports that had to run to the locker room to throw up during swim practice.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Gabby,

Do you like baseball? Because I find it just as mind numbing as you find soccer.

Serious question.[/quote]

Baseball is worse. I can’t watch that shit no matter what.

I will immediately change the channel if there is
-Baseball
-Golf
-Men’s figure skating
…on the tv.

[quote]streamline wrote:
Maybe thats why the fans (hooligans) fight. They’re bored to death![/quote]

i dont think they even care about soccer. i think they just like to get drunk and fight.

like i dont care about baseball, but ill always participate in a “yankees suck” chant. or an “LA sucks” just to fuck with people, not that i actually give a shit about the sport.

i agree that most NFL games are boring but this season is actually way different than anything. the games have been a lot more watchable.

but if you think the NFL games are boring i suggest you watch college. theres hardly ever just a normal play. someone always fumbles or intercepts or does crazy trick play.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Gabby,

Do you like baseball? Because I find it just as mind numbing as you find soccer.

Serious question.[/quote]

Baseball is boring.

And like professional basketball, they play “Best out of seven” in the playoffs. If you’re a champion, you show up to play, you don’t just write off today’s game because you don’t feel good.

[quote]Xeneize wrote:
Real men don’t have to denigrate someone else’s sport to feel better about their own. I don’t enjoy watching golf or auto racing, but I’m not going to trash those sports just because they’re not for me.

If you don’t like, don’t watch.

And a lot of people enjoy both soccer and American football. It’s not an either/or.[/quote]

I’m denigrating it for the sake of starting a conversation.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:
Gabby,

Serious question.

Baseball is worse. I can’t watch that shit no matter what.

I will immediately change the channel if there is
-Baseball
-Golf
-Men’s figure skating
…on the tv.[/quote]

I like watching baseball because it’s one of the few games you can “lazy watch”. Meaning I can have it on as background to whatever I’m really doing and still fully keep up with the game. Cook, do laundry, workout, it’s great.

[quote]TheG wrote:
also I don’t think you can compare it to american football as the two are completely different sports, american football mainly comes down to tactics and brawn whereas football is all speed and skill.
[/quote]

It’s our most popular sport versus yours.

In soccer, at least as it’s broadcast on TV, the camera stays zoomed out, so you can’t even see the footwork involved, and if someone makes a great play you’d hardly know it. In American Football, when someone makes a great play you get to see it again in instant replay, which is why the stopping makes the game better for the spectators at home.

[quote]
And finally, IT’S NOT CALLED SOCCER! [/quote]

Ha! I knew that would piss somebody off.

Football hits are no joke, the pads are seriously like weapons used just so you can hit someone even harder without it hurting yourself. I have a couple friends who play defensive linemen and they have both told me their #1 goal on every play is to try their hardest to lay someone out and cause them as much pain as possible. One friend broke a kids neck his junior year in high school, that kid is paralized now for life and the other friend broke a guys leg on the first game of the season his senior year.

And I’m going to throw this out there, all of the following suck ass to watch on TV:

-Golf (this isn’t even a fucking sport, seriously)
-Soccer
-Baseball
-All the other “pussy” sports that I don’t even consider to be real sports.

[quote]Renton wrote:

1 - So you prefer a sport where you know what’s going to happen? Sounds like watching many of the big blockbuster films to me, guns and explosions will happen, it’s fairly easy to figure out when, not many twists or turns etc. It’s handed to you on a plate.
[/quote]

I didn’t say that you know what’s going to happen. No one knows. You do know when something is going to happen because of the rhythm of the game. There are also plenty of surprises, trick plays, etc.

In American Football the stats mean something. If a team moves 70 yards down the field but can’t make a touch down (worth 6 points) they can kick a field goal (worth 3 points). So the drive meant something. In Soccer, they go back and forth all day, and no body scores a single point.

I like track and field too. My whole criticism of soccer as a pussy sport is based on the faking of injuries to incur penalties on the other team. It’s not only embarrassing to watch a grown man roll around on the ground crying from a fake injury, it also rewards dishonesty. So I guess it’s not as much about teaching men to be men, but at least American Football doesn’t encourage men to lie and at like pussies.

There are tough guys in Soccer. I remember during the 2006 World Cup watching Italy’s goal keeper head butt his own goal post. Dude got up and kept playing. It was awesome.

They also exaggerate fouls in basketball in order to get free throws, but at least they leave out the girly crying.