Soccer Playing Beginner Trying Starting Strength

Started starting strength today.

Im going to do do chins instead of power cleans

I will train 3 times a week as far as i can. Soccer season will start in about two week, where we will do some pretty intense cardio. I might limit workout days to two days a week if I feel it becomes to heavy, will have to see how if feels.

This logbook will work as motivation and dicipline.

Today I did workout A:
Squat 80kg 3x5
Bench press 60kg 3x5
Deadlift 100kg 3x5

I will increase deadlift with 5kg every workout and everything else with 2,5kg.

Here is a video of me deadlifting, any pointers on my technique? I feel like I should use my quads and ass more. But it looks like the bar travels in a straight line.

[quote=“anthoon, post:1, topic:213720”]
Im going to do do chins instead of power cleans[/quote]
This is a mistake. Power cleans are a tremendous exercise, even moreso for athletes. They’re not nearly as difficult to do as most people think. Plenty of articles here explain how to do it. I like Dan John’s “bow and arrow” concept, used here.

Also, your video is private or something and isn’t displaying.

[quote=“anthoon, post:1, topic:213720”]
Soccer season will start in about two week, where we will do some pretty intense cardio. I might limit workout days to two days a week if I feel it becomes to heavy, will have to see how if feels.[/quote]
Not sure Starting Strength will be the best choice in this case. It’s definitely not an in-season lifting program, especially when you’re doing a ton of running (it’ll impact the squat progress, and the squats may impact the running). Starting Strength twice a week, chopping off 33% of the workload, is a significant change.

What’s your specific goal, just some lifting to complement the soccer? Do you need size? Fat loss? Power/speed?

I know I should learn to do power cleans, but I really feel like i need someone to teach me in person instead of just reading starting strength. so chins will have to do for now.

Well i want to put in som muscle and gain strength/power for soccer.

Saturdays workout went good:
Squat 82,5kg 3x5
Press 35kg 3x5
Chins 10kg 3x5

And today I did
Squat 85kg 3x5
Bench press 62,5kg 3x5
Deadlift 105kg 3x5

I think i will have to switch to a hook grip soon, almost couldn’t hold on to the bar the last rep. Will use normal grip as long as possible.

Here are two videos of me squating and deadlifting. Any pointers?

[quote=“anthoon, post:3, topic:213720”]
I know I should learn to do power cleans, but I really feel like i need someone to teach me in person instead of just reading starting strength.[/quote]
I believe that anyone who can teach themselves to squat or deadlift can teach themselves to power clean. I find that people primarily have a mental hurdle about it because the exercise is “an Olympic lift.” But it’s one of the most effective things an athlete can do in the weight room. Chins are not a substitute. But it’s not my training, so, okay.

Two weeks before the season starts is not the time to add size. That’s an offseason goal. Instead of a compromised Starting Strength plan, consider the In-Season 5/3/1 program discussed here.

The squats seemed fine enough from what I could see with the viewing angle. The deads were entirely stiff-legged, no leg drive whatsoever. Get the hips lower at the start. You were also rushing the end of each individual rep and got loose right before the weight hit the ground. Stay tight the entire time.