T Nation

Soccer field sprints

I was wondering how many sprints from one end to the other would be enough, how much would be counter productive?

Edit. For keeping muscle mass and lowering body fat, as well as to get more in shape for martial arts.

I played soccer for 15 years, and I had a full-ride to a division 1 college for the sport, having that said, I’m now a huge fan of bodybuilding/powerlifting.

I see what you are trying to achieve, and I will be doing this in a few weeks as well(preparing for summer ^^) and here is what I’m planning on doing:

Putting on cleats (running on grass with cleats deals with way more muscle than running on pavement or grass without cleats)
Then I’m starting with jogging the long-side of a field, then sprinting the short side. Do this for 10 laps. Then turn around and do the opposite…sprint the long-sides but jog the short sides.

Obviously, you might not be able to accomplish all this in one session, but those are MY goals. You can adjust accordingly.

Good luck!

But hey, to answer your question, I wouldn’t be too concerned about “losing muscle” as long as you replenish properly post-session. So…eat a decent amount of carbs(more than you would after a weight lifting session, if you track your macros at all)and the usual protein etc.

Some people argue this and that about your own body eating your muscles if you workout for too long, but IN MY OPINION, its all just over-analyzing to the max. Just workout, eat(smartly) and sleep and you’re fine, you know?

[quote]Claudan wrote:
But hey, to answer your question, I wouldn’t be too concerned about “losing muscle” as long as you replenish properly post-session. So…eat a decent amount of carbs(more than you would after a weight lifting session, if you track your macros at all)and the usual protein etc.

Some people argue this and that about your own body eating your muscles if you workout for too long, but IN MY OPINION, its all just over-analyzing to the max. Just workout, eat(smartly) and sleep and you’re fine, you know?
[/quote]

Great info from you on this entire page. Appreciate this!

[quote]Claudan wrote:
I played soccer for 15 years, and I had a full-ride to a division 1 college for the sport, having that said, I’m now a huge fan of bodybuilding/powerlifting.

I see what you are trying to achieve, and I will be doing this in a few weeks as well(preparing for summer ^^) and here is what I’m planning on doing:

Putting on cleats (running on grass with cleats deals with way more muscle than running on pavement or grass without cleats)
Then I’m starting with jogging the long-side of a field, then sprinting the short side. Do this for 10 laps. Then turn around and do the opposite…sprint the long-sides but jog the short sides.

Obviously, you might not be able to accomplish all this in one session, but those are MY goals. You can adjust accordingly.

Good luck![/quote]

Thank uyou very much brother. As for your advice to wear footy boots, how would using my track sprinting spikes work?

Depends entirely on the person how many sprints is enough .

The faster you are , or the higher your strength/weight ratio,the easier it is, more you can handle.
. Just experiment.

Dont need to overthink the shoes. Just wear something light.

[quote]Field wrote:
Depends entirely on the person how many sprints is enough .

The faster you are , or the higher your strength/weight ratio,the easier it is, more you can handle.
. Just experiment.

Dont need to overthink the shoes. Just wear something light.[/quote]

i actually think it is the opposite-- the faster you are, the less volume you need to put sufficient stress on your body because you will be running much more explosively … sort of like a 500 pound bencher vs. a 135 pound bencher ---- the 135 pound bencher will need to use a lot of volume with high intensities to even come close to replicating what the 500 pound bencher will do in an average workout

to answer the original question, it depends entirely on what exactly you are training for and what intensity you are running at. if you are a fast dude, and you are running your sprints 100% all out, i think 5 to 6 sprints would be a good start— make sure to get a thorough warmup in though. if you are training more for conditioning and are running your sprints closer to 90% or at “striding” speed, i would do somewhere from 10 to 12 to start off with