T Nation

Socal PLing Comps For Newbie?

Hey there. I’m new to lifting and only have a 900lb total (at 185 or so lbs) and 25 years of age, but I wouldn’t mind competing in some local competitions before I’m ready strength wise to do okay. I figure it could give me some experience/knowledge I won’t get from merely training in the gym. I realize I’ll probably get last place, but my ego isn’t so big that’s much of a deal.

But I’m very ignorant about powerlifting federations and how to find competitions. Does one need to be a member of a powerlifting federation to enter any competitions? Or is there local competitions around that aren’t run by larger federations? I obviously don’t want to travel beyond driving distance for a competition, so if I have to join a fed to enter anything, I guess I want to know who has a large presence in southern california, so I’d have a lot of options.

Also, I don’t train with any lifting gear (no knee wraps, straps, lifting suits/shirts, etc). Once in a blue moon, I’ll put a belt on if I’m unsure of a given weight, but I generally dont’ bother. Not that I would wear much lifting gear at my strength level since it would be kinda silly. But i guess I’d prefer something where that is limited, so I would be at less of a disadvantage.

Also, something with a novice division would be great because I definitely am that!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m quite confused right now.

www.powerliftingwatch.com

There you go all the feds can search by state etyc just GO. Yes you’ll likely have to join but its all good and you can lift raw in any comp even against those in gear.

Get in there do the damn thing and ppl will fopr sure help you out and youll get the experience.

Phill

Go to www.powerliftingca.com. USPF California. There are plenty of local meets. I went to the one in Venice in September and it was OK, good enough for a newbie.

Thanks for the link Phil. That’s a good site. I was at the site before, but didn’t see their schedule page.

Sprinter, I saw that website before I went to the gym tonight. I asked someone about it online on a different forum and they said it was okay, but there wasn’t a lot of participation in my weight class. However, they do seem to have by far the most meets in s. california and since I’m such a beginner, it sounded alright.

And then, as coincidence would have it, I actually ran into someone at my gym tonight wearing a USPF california tshirt and found out he lifts at their meets.

So that was probably a sign that is where I should have my first competition. In my weight class, it’s possible that I’ll be the only one in it. So I might get a sweet trophy, heh heh. And then, I can pretend to people like I beat people out to win it :slight_smile:

Let us know how you do in your first comp! I was going to try one, but my dammed lower back keeps acting up on me…oh-well I guess not everyone is built for it. I’m 30 in a month so i might have missed my day!

[quote]AK47 wrote:
Let us know how you do in your first comp! I was going to try one, but my dammed lower back keeps acting up on me…oh-well I guess not everyone is built for it. I’m 30 in a month so i might have missed my day![/quote]

Sure, I’ll post everywhere once I do my first one, even if it’s a spectacular failure!

I have a sketchy back too. What I do is, if I’m lifting and my back doesn’t feel right, I simply stop. I’ve hurt it worse too many times by letting my ego get in the way. Best to rest if it is feeling bad and then come back stronger the next time.

BTW, 30 is NOT too old. Come on! Look at strongmen like Odd Haugen (spelling?) . He’s double your age and still kicking ass! Never too late to start.

[quote]kross65 wrotte:

BTW, 30 is NOT too old. Come on! Look at strongmen like Odd Haugen (spelling?) . He’s double your age and still kicking ass! Never too late to start.
[/quote]

Very true! I think most lifters hit their best years in the late 20’s through 30’s. Heck I even used to work out with a guy that was 55 and and could bench 500 raw. Just saying my back felt tougher when I was 21 or so.

Dude, if you’re in either the San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara areas, I know a couple of good places you can train. PM me if so. Getting into a powerlifting gym with experienced guys is the best thing you can do for your PL’ing career.