So Why Do You Train?

To get jacked, stacked, and absolutely succulent and dense! I’m pretty strong naturally so hypertrophy is my only real goal. Training my brother to try to get him jacked has also been a lot of fun, and it feels good to feel like a positive influence on him.

1 Like

Started once I realized I looked like a crack head through some beach pictures. Gained some weight just to look normal and ended up getting addicted to getting stronger. Now I do it because I have some strength goals I want to reach.

3 Likes

When I was a little cute kid it seemed like every other kid in our neighborhood wanted to beat everyone up, especially me. After many years of living in fear I met this kid who lifted weights and had some muscle . I thought that might be the answer so I got some muscle magazines and weights and started working out. At 16 we went to the Mr Olympia in NY and and saw Arnold and Sergio and I was hooked. Finally about my Junior year in high school I was getting pretty big so nobody would mess with me. I remember thinking where are all those A holes now that I’m big enough to handle them? I fell in love with working out. Started out with Hoffman, Weider then to Jones and now Darden. Now I lift because I love the feeling of working out. Yea I know, if you like working out, you’re probably doing it wrong, ha ha !
Scot

1 Like

Because its cheaper than therapy and more legal than drugs.

6 Likes

Damn straight

1 Like

To continually make small improvements to how I look and feel.

2 Likes

Early on (late teens / early 20’s) - to add some muscle to a very thin frame.

Ever since - So I can still move freely and lift/move things when I’m 80+

2 Likes

It is cathartic for me.

I was the fat pudgy kid before puberty and was mercilessly picked on.

The weight room is where I can let all my anger and pain go and use it to fuel my lifting. After so many years, it has become part of me - ingrained to the very essence of my being.

As long as I am alive, I will be in the gym regularly in some form.

5 Likes

That is one of my main reasons for training now as well. It isn’t so much about vanity as it is a way to work out my aggression in a healthy way.

1 Like

It is one of the cheapest hobbies there is. It can be as cheap or expensive as you need depending on the equipment needed. The equipment that you need may be minimal however depending on the individual.

I like it because it shows measurable results and you get out of it what you put into it.

3 Likes

I read in this book one time that if you put 225lb on your back and squat until you can’t do another rep, you will not feel the need to talk about your problems. Gym therapy is real therapy.

3 Likes

I agree
People get hurt. Weights don’t.

1 Like

My wife would tell you that when I dont do some form of training im a unbearable asshole. When this occurs I worry she might be looking for the proper pillow to take me out in my sleep…lol

2 Likes

Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met are people who exercise regularly. They constantly challenge themselves through training so they don’t feel like they have something to prove to others. Strong people don’t have to come across as “strong”, they just are.

2 Likes

Yes that would not be good.

1 Like

Exactly! It’s as if our spouses went to the same marital training.

Outfit your quarters with memory foam, sir; make her work for that kill.

3 Likes

I like to look sexy.

thats it, in a nutshell.

I was a kid when Conan the Barbarian came out - I decided then that I wanted to be like Ahhhnolld -

My brother had a paper route, and one of his first paychecks went to a concrete and plastic Weider weight set from Sears.
I never was good at sports, too clumsy, lanky, didnt have the hands or the lungs for football, but I could get under a set of weights and make my dreams come true.
been lifelong for me, at 57, I am still in better shape than most everyone in the room, and it makes me feel good.

lift weights = feel good.

4 Likes

Yeah! That’s how me and my brothers got ours! The adjustable bench was bought with the Christmas tips!

1 Like

My wife tends to leave out the conditional clause.

1 Like

There is a fitness personality (one of the originals in fact) named Lee Hayward that also was inspired by “Conan: The Barbarian”. It’s not just a good movie with great music by Basil Poledorus, it’s an inspiring movie for those interested in looking like a muscled-up, Austrian-oak.

1 Like