T Nation

So Westside Guys Can Compete Raw Too

Burley Hawk is his name.

I had no idea. I’ve never heard of this guy until I accidentally saw him on a google vid search of mine. He’s only in his mid 20’s too. The first squat look pretty deep too and the last looked like it at least got to parallel although perhaps it didn’t go below. Legit enough for me anyway.

I’m going to be looking for what he did during training if it’s out there.

Definitely a pretty beasty dude lol

He’d only been at Westside for 3 months as of that meet. He had over a 2200 total before he even went there. Nevertheless, I’m glad he set a total PR at this meet. Westside better not ruin him. He easily has the potential to be the strongest powerlifter ever. I’m worried that the different training will keep him from that, especially his deadlift.

He is no longer training at Westside. No matter though, he will continue to be strong as heck and Westside had another raw lifter at their recent meet, I believe he benched 635. Ill have to look his name up.

Watched him a while ago at the same meet Hoff totaled 3005. Definitely strong.

It’s hard to find info on this guy. I guess he prefers to remain low profile.

Fletch, you seem hell bent on running a “Westside” program, and I guess were looking for validation that it can work for raw lifters? Nothin’ wrong with that, but ask yourself, how much has your total improved since then, not counting noobie gains?

that guy did 2225 about 5 weeks before he went to westside and all his lifts at that first meet looked like openers or less. hes now left westside after about 2 months there

He left probably because he could not stand all those high squats and weak as fuck deadlifts. Damn, westside used to be cool.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Fletch, you seem hell bent on running a “Westside” program, and I guess were looking for validation that it can work for raw lifters? Nothin’ wrong with that, but ask yourself, how much has your total improved since then, not counting noobie gains?[/quote]

I’ve had my best squat and bench with the Westside Method actually. I’ve only recently matched the squat running bastardized versions of Westside and variations of linear progression and maybe the bench… I haven’t tested it in a while. Granted I am 20lbs lighter since then. I quit Westside because of nagging injuries, but in retrospect that was more because of lack of knowledge on how to fix and avoid them and periodization rather than the system I believe.

But yeah, always a good question to ask oneself.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Fletch, you seem hell bent on running a “Westside” program, and I guess were looking for validation that it can work for raw lifters? Nothin’ wrong with that, but ask yourself, how much has your total improved since then, not counting noobie gains?[/quote]

I’ve had my best squat and bench with the Westside Method actually. I’ve only recently matched the squat running bastardized versions of Westside and variations of linear progression and maybe the bench… I haven’t tested it in a while. Granted I am 20lbs lighter since then. I quit Westside because of nagging injuries, but in retrospect that was more because of lack of knowledge on how to fix and avoid them and periodization rather than the system I believe.

But yeah, always a good question to ask oneself.

[/quote]

Didn’t mean for that to come across as combative, glad you didn’t take it that way. Googled this kid and found an interview he did right after joining Westside where he discussed his training beforehand and he said he’d work up to several lifts above 90%. Also said he ordinarily squatted with a much narrower stance. I’d link it but pretty sure it’d get pulled.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
He left probably because he could not stand all those high squats and weak as fuck deadlifts. Damn, westside used to be cool.[/quote]

From what I’ve read, he was voted out. This of course is just pure internet speculation and rumors and I can’t verify it, but that is what I read on another board

lol

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
lol[/quote]

its called confirmation bias. all the cool kids are doing it

[quote]Chicksan wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
He left probably because he could not stand all those high squats and weak as fuck deadlifts. Damn, westside used to be cool.[/quote]

From what I’ve read, he was voted out. This of course is just pure internet speculation and rumors and I can’t verify it, but that is what I read on another board[/quote]
I heard it was because he had a bad habit of missing workouts.

[quote]Delawarestrong wrote:

[quote]Chicksan wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
He left probably because he could not stand all those high squats and weak as fuck deadlifts. Damn, westside used to be cool.[/quote]

From what I’ve read, he was voted out. This of course is just pure internet speculation and rumors and I can’t verify it, but that is what I read on another board[/quote]
I heard it was because he had a bad habit of missing workouts.[/quote]

Ive read a couple different things. All I know is he is one brutally strong young man and I wish him nothing but the best. I certainly hope he continues to compete, I dont think we have seen the best from him yet.

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
lol[/quote]

its called confirmation bias. all the cool kids are doing it[/quote]

You’re funny hahaha…

NOT.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
lol[/quote]

its called confirmation bias. all the cool kids are doing it[/quote]

You’re funny hahaha…

NOT.[/quote]

good one

Where’s he train now?

It wouldn’t surprise if he was gone. I have an acquaintance that trained there for two years and got to a point where he could only come 2 days/week and was given the boot. The only one I’ve ever heard of that trained there two days/week was Travis Bell, which I think he was a bench specialist. Maybe there are more, but he’s the only one I read about going there 2 days/week.