So...Question about My Girlfriend

I feel kind of awkward posting on here, but my GF has a few extra pounds(nothing bad) with very large breasts. She often gets upper back pain. I recommended her going to the gym and doing lat work and abs. She really doesn’t believe me.

Has anyone/know anyone who has faced a similar situation of having larger breasts, then went on to do ab work/back work? What were the results?

I suggested this from experience. Not that it’s completely gone, but when I first started working out and running when I was 12 years old, I weighed 250(yes you read that right), and had major lower back problems. But ever since I’ve done more abs and cardio, my lower back problems aren’t nearly as bad, weighing 320+ while playing college football. I know this is like comparing apples and oranges as my problem was my lower back, but I still feel like this would apply, especially since my upper body weighs more than her breasts.

Sounds like she needs to get a breast reduction.

JK no but srsly, upperback/pulling work, mobility, postural correction stuff. All good.

[quote]louiek wrote:
Sounds like she needs to get a breast reduction.

JK no but srsly, upperback/pulling work, mobility, postural correction stuff. All good.[/quote]

No! Never a reduction!

I used to have really bad chronic back pain as well (not from boobs, but back pain regardless) and once I started doing a lot of back work - especially deadlifting - it went away. If I ever stop deadlifting long enough to lose strength in my back the pain comes back. Doing a lot of pull work with a good lumbar curve would do her some good. She could try some heavy benching, too. I’m not a scientist, but I’d assume that building up some pectoral muscles will help support the breast tissue and probably take some of the weight off of her back.

[quote]bigspence75 wrote:
I feel kind of awkward posting on here, but my GF has a few extra pounds(nothing bad) with very large breasts. She often gets upper back pain. I recommended her going to the gym and doing lat work and abs. She really doesn’t believe me.

Has anyone/know anyone who has faced a similar situation of having larger breasts, then went on to do ab work/back work? What were the results?

I suggested this from experience. Not that it’s completely gone, but when I first started working out and running when I was 12 years old, I weighed 250(yes you read that right), and had major lower back problems. But ever since I’ve done more abs and cardio, my lower back problems aren’t nearly as bad, weighing 320+ while playing college football. I know this is like comparing apples and oranges as my problem was my lower back, but I still feel like this would apply, especially since my upper body weighs more than her breasts. [/quote]

Pay particular attention to scapular retraction and depression exercises. Rear shoulder and mid trap work should not be overlooked and ham glute raises should be a must. Also unless your GF loves her big breasts then she should also look at losing some weight in general, thereby likely losing some breast tissue and reducing the amount of stress being placed on her back.

If she is an office worker sitting a lot then make sure that she is very particular about her posture especially while sitting. Here is the most undervalued piece of info that you will ever get about core training… this refers to you also. Remember the mantra “suck it in and suck it up” referring to your belly button. The transverse abdominis muscle is a cylindrical muscle that when sucked in and up will make you look 10 lbs slimmer and create a transverse abdominis that is toned strong and highly efficient at preventing and rehabilitating low and mid back issues. You should try and get her to be thinking about this 24/7, it can be done anywhere anytime and with complete stealthliness.

Your def on the right track… if you can encourage her to squat, dl, power clean, bent row, overhead press as well as specific upper back conditioning then your will be her saviour… if you can convince her to do this of course. But whatever you do DON’T tell her to go on a diet until after you have convinced her to actually get into the gym and get busy. Let her get that stress out of the way before you start rearranging her eating patterns.

Hope this helps some.