T Nation

So is this Sexist?

Apparently I am going to lose my liberal p/c card or something. Kate Upton’s new ad for the superbowl is apparently generating criticism for objectifying her. Setting aside that her career is being a supermodel which sort of comes with a bit of objectification I don’t see it.
I like Kate. I think its an ok ad. I don’t see things like this say:

“Panning the body like that is something that belonged in media a while ago,” Dines, the co-author of Gender, Race and Class in Media: A Critical Reader, told Yahoo! Shine. “It’s so clearly turning her into an object. It’s a more traditional, old-fashioned sexism, one where the male gaze is clearly in charge.” Sexism in ads these days, she added, is typically more nuanced, with women acting as self-objectifiers who are “internalizing the male gaze.”

Which reminds me a lot of stuff that got said in the Women’s Studies classes I needed to take in college. I liked the minority authors who pretty much would have put a criticism like that into the category of things worried about by rich white women.

Anyways…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPq7jVGPs3g#!

I do remember if this was the original but it was fucking good :slight_smile:

[quote]groo wrote:
Apparently I am going to lose my liberal p/c card or something. Kate Upton’s new ad for the superbowl is apparently generating criticism for objectifying her. Setting aside that her career is being a supermodel which sort of comes with a bit of objectification I don’t see it.
I like Kate. I think its an ok ad. I don’t see things like this say:

“Panning the body like that is something that belonged in media a while ago,” Dines, the co-author of Gender, Race and Class in Media: A Critical Reader, told Yahoo! Shine. “It’s so clearly turning her into an object. It’s a more traditional, old-fashioned sexism, one where the male gaze is clearly in charge.” Sexism in ads these days, she added, is typically more nuanced, with women acting as self-objectifiers who are “internalizing the male gaze.”

Which reminds me a lot of stuff that got said in the Women’s Studies classes I needed to take in college. I liked the minority authors who pretty much would have put a criticism like that into the category of things worried about by rich white women.

Anyways…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPq7jVGPs3g#!

[/quote]

How feminism got hijacked by a bunch of asexual shrews is beyond me.

You know who complains about shit like this?

Ugly chicks and sad dudes trying to bang said ugly chicks.

That is a sexy car for sure.

It used to be that the Right were the party poopers, now it’s the Left that is the part of no fun.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
It used to be that the Right were the party poopers, now it’s the Left that is the part of no fun. [/quote]

It’s a fierce competition!

The religious right and the femeninazi left both can pump out the over the top/annoying political correctness.

KNOCK IT OFF SHREWS!!!

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
The religious right and the femeninazi left both can pump out the over the top/annoying political correctness.

KNOCK IT OFF SHREWS!!![/quote]
Inorite and it was interuppting my pleasure in watching Kate…though Pittbull’s add to the thread was very interesting as well…I think I may need another comparison round…

[quote]groo wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
The religious right and the femeninazi left both can pump out the over the top/annoying political correctness.

KNOCK IT OFF SHREWS!!![/quote]
Inorite and it was interuppting my pleasure in watching Kate…though Pittbull’s add to the thread was very interesting as well…I think I may need another comparison round…[/quote]

haha. Cool hand luke was one of the best movies of all time.

But I just don’t get the love of Kate, she is alright, but not superstar or anything.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]groo wrote:
Apparently I am going to lose my liberal p/c card or something. Kate Upton’s new ad for the superbowl is apparently generating criticism for objectifying her. Setting aside that her career is being a supermodel which sort of comes with a bit of objectification I don’t see it.
I like Kate. I think its an ok ad. I don’t see things like this say:

“Panning the body like that is something that belonged in media a while ago,” Dines, the co-author of Gender, Race and Class in Media: A Critical Reader, told Yahoo! Shine. “It’s so clearly turning her into an object. It’s a more traditional, old-fashioned sexism, one where the male gaze is clearly in charge.” Sexism in ads these days, she added, is typically more nuanced, with women acting as self-objectifiers who are “internalizing the male gaze.”

Which reminds me a lot of stuff that got said in the Women’s Studies classes I needed to take in college. I liked the minority authors who pretty much would have put a criticism like that into the category of things worried about by rich white women.

Anyways…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPq7jVGPs3g#!

[/quote]

How feminism got hijacked by a bunch of asexual shrews is beyond me.[/quote]

Well obviously the women (shrews) who complain about it are too ugly and/or unpleasant to be around that they can’t wield this kind of power over guys. The natural knee-jerk reaction? To resent and condemn those who can.

Feminism was once about overcoming the oppression of women. I agree with that goal. However, “overcoming oppression” seems to have morphed into advancing women’s interests at others’ cost (as opposed to protecting their rights), partly by means of creating an androgynous, asexual culture. I’m not saying that this is all modern feminists, but it sure seems to comprise a hell of a lot (and certainly the most vocal sector).

In between all the left-wing hippie screwballs and right-wing religious extremist nutjobs, I think the center got lost…

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

haha. Cool hand luke was one of the best movies of all time.

[/quote]

It was also one of the sweatiest.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]groo wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
The religious right and the femeninazi left both can pump out the over the top/annoying political correctness.

KNOCK IT OFF SHREWS!!![/quote]
Inorite and it was interuppting my pleasure in watching Kate…though Pittbull’s add to the thread was very interesting as well…I think I may need another comparison round…[/quote]

haha. Cool hand luke was one of the best movies of all time.

But I just don’t get the love of Kate, she is alright, but not superstar or anything.[/quote]

Well I shall just call this exhibit A :wink:

And this shall be exhibit B and I rest my case :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]groo wrote:
Apparently I am going to lose my liberal p/c card or something. Kate Upton’s new ad for the superbowl is apparently generating criticism for objectifying her. Setting aside that her career is being a supermodel which sort of comes with a bit of objectification I don’t see it.
I like Kate. I think its an ok ad. I don’t see things like this say:

“Panning the body like that is something that belonged in media a while ago,” Dines, the co-author of Gender, Race and Class in Media: A Critical Reader, told Yahoo! Shine. “It’s so clearly turning her into an object. It’s a more traditional, old-fashioned sexism, one where the male gaze is clearly in charge.” Sexism in ads these days, she added, is typically more nuanced, with women acting as self-objectifiers who are “internalizing the male gaze.”

Which reminds me a lot of stuff that got said in the Women’s Studies classes I needed to take in college. I liked the minority authors who pretty much would have put a criticism like that into the category of things worried about by rich white women.

Anyways…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPq7jVGPs3g#!

[/quote]

The way I see this, it’s just a piece of work that’s supposed to make old, and good car wash scenes cliche, but it failed miserably because I’d still rather see an in shape, curvy woman getting busy cleaning a vehicle as sensually as possible. And I took plenty of woman’s studies classes as well as film studies classes at the University.

Maybe I should be the one that’s upset? Pretty white girl flips her hair, and the Mexican dude cleans her car…

I’m offended! Haha… JK.

When we can’t appreciate a person for their aesthetics, when that is what they are famous for, then wtf? If she were Beyonce or she were published, or had some other talent then I could appreciate that as well… But all I know about her is that she’s a beautiful woman. Am I a bad guy for appreciating that? If her profession is being sexy, making things look good, then I want her to try and do that, she doesn’t try that hard in her commercial, I’ve seen wetter, funnier, wittier cliches. Obviously not her fault…

Kinda like tuning in to worlds strongest man competition, hearing some dude can pull an aircraft, then seeing him do a couple deadlift warmups while his crew pulls the aircraft. WTF?

I wanted to see her washing the windows with her… Hands…