So Injured, So Old: 600lb DL Before I Die

Okay, Only one picture posted last time. I guess I don’t know how to do 2.

Oh yeah, I weight 215.8 lbs today. Soon I will be under 33 BMI.

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:

It’s good to have a kinderd spirit aboard, ya got me all fired up to start deadlifting again, I’ve been focused on learning to squat heavy around my re-built knee, but now I’m more concerned about being out deadlifted by a funny ol fuker, so I beter get to it. haha. later

[/quote]

I’m only on page 3 of your log.

What’s up with the “rebuilt knee”?

Never be concerned about being out deadlifted by a Fully Ol Fucker. We eventually just blow away.

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Dang I was hoping you’d be closer lol[/quote]

Really, why? How far can you throw rocks?

[quote]emskee wrote:

It’s good to have a kinderd spirit aboard, ya got me all fired up to start deadlifting again, I’ve been focused on learning to squat heavy around my re-built knee, but now I’m more concerned about being out deadlifted by a funny ol fuker, so I beter get to it. haha. later

[/quote]

I’m only on page 3 of your log.

What’s up with the “rebuilt knee”?

Never be concerned about being out deadlifted by a Fully Ol Fucker. We eventually just blow away.[/quote]

I just misspelled “funny” as “fully”. The “n” and the “l” on the keyboard ain’t THAT close together. See, it’s starting, just blowing away…

You know I’ve come across an old one of those, if I remember right it had a crazy drive shaft set-up, that had the side car wheel to be a drive wheel as well. I could be wrong, but it looks like one a friend had, and that was the set-up.

As for the knee, when it first happened, they said I was to young for a total replacement ( 27) I fell 8 stories, into a snow bank lucky enough, but my left leg took the brunt. I was in snow up to my tits, but my left foot was up against my ear, twisted the wrong way. Anyway they tried everything besides the replacement, 9 ops in all, seemed to get worse each time. The last time, in 06 I believe, to the best of my understanding, they drilled holes on a criss cross pattern, then using tendons they removed from my own ankle ( couldn’t find any rubber I guess ) they ran the tendons through the holes they drilled, to form an X, then secured the ends of the tendons with screws. Now it no longer ‘‘pops’’ out, but I also can’t fully straighten my leg, it clicks, it clacks, and it always hurts, but I’m done letting them in there. I can run, and I can lift, so I’m happy :slight_smile: the rest I can live with.

I’ve had to re-teach myself to squat, keeping my lower leg completely upright ( no knee’s over toe’s) keep the weight on my heal’s and on the outside of my foot, then life isn’t so bad. Basicaly I box squat, wheather the box is there or not. When I go for max atempts, my form usually breaks down a bit, and I limp for a week. the plus side of this story is it happened at work, and when they figured out, that I wasn’t built for re-educating, they cut me a cheque for 180 grand, so I opened my own little franchise gym, and once I can convince these Mayberry Cops ( where I settled, and opened my gym ) that I’m not Tony Montana, here to rule the under world of Mayberry, my life will be grand !

On another note, are you TRTing it, or is that classified, top secret goverment info. Don’t tell me, if your going to have to kill me, just wonderen. later

Yep, I had a Gear-Up, camo, with a machine gun mount on the nose of the tub and now have the Taiga, no gun mount. Both have the driveshaft to the tub wheel. Never used it even in the snow: it’s lever select-able. They are military(ish) offroad machines so a lot of people use it but I’ve been on the freeway in the snow and did just fine with single wheel. Damn thing has a reverse gear!

Your knee story made my one eye involuntarily shut. Foot up by your ear… HOWEVER, $180K is a salve of sorts I guess. You have a monster attitude, I, again, am humbled. Good luck with the local militia.

So a pegged shin squat. That was what everyone used to aspire to. All hips and back and hammies, but then, in the '60s and after, it was THOSE guys who could do that wide stance, pegged shin stance who pushed up the squat numbers. I remember in the Iron Man mags from late '60s into the 70’s a lot of people were having issues with widestance squatters because they were thought to be cheating.

Ed Coan comes to mind.

Quads are for BBers. SQUATTERS use posterior chain (I hate that phrase) because that is where the potential forces live. Hard(er) to get depth, but I guess that all depends on which org you lift in.

“I wish” in regards to the TRT. Still measure out OK.

Yeah, that line about the government job…I reread it and it sounds stupid.

Anyone who knows me could read this blog and know who it is. In the government, people can be offended by you even when you are not at work. We once got handed a tri-fold brochure at work which informed us that if a fellow employee overheard you using foul language at a ballgame, even if you were not aware of their presence, and if that person became offended, that person could go to work and turn you in for harassment. So, anyway, whatever. I imagine some crank reading in here that I did “what?” and next thing I know I have to keep 200 feet away from them and all that. I am eligible to retire in Jan. of 2017.

I can picture you rippin down the road in your military bike with the machine gun mount.

After my post I got thinking about it, and it’s always boggled my mind, I mentioned that they had to use my own tendon, removed from my perfectly good ankle, to repair my knee, thinking about this after I wrote it, just makes me wonder, why they can’t find somthing synthetic, here’s one better, and mabey you get these shots in one of your cranky joints as well. A couple times a year, when my knee is really acting up, I go in for these lubrication shots, and my knee feels wonderful for a few weeks after the shot, but, and this is the weird part, they use ground up Rooster beards, or combs, or whatever you call the things that hang under a Rooster’s beak.

How the fuck can we send people to the moon, but we can’t find anything better to shoot into people’s cranky joints, but ground up rooster scrotum’s. I guess it’s one of those ‘’ Deep thought’s ‘’ from the old Saturday night live days, but you’d think they could come up with some sort of rubber or synthetic parts and lubrication, to put in people, rather than some dirty old rooster scrodum’s. Anyway it was on my mind, after the last post, thought I’d throw it out there for thought, your an engineer mabey you know. Gotta cleean the house, later

Yeah, and I wear this Ausie duster when I ride it.

Okay, hyaluronic acid is what is extracted from the rooster combs and this is the huge polymer chain which gives synovial fluid its viscosity. I guess that your joint is lacking in the tissue necessary to adequately produce enough fluid to keep your knee cushioned and also to provide upkeep for new tissue. But, I guess in your case it is really mostly for the added viscosity/cushioning.

So it is the real molecule used by the body to make real synovial fluid so, in that case, it is probably the best thing to keep plentiful in your knee joint space.

The fact that it comes from rooster combs and is not otherwise synthesized speaks to cost: if it were cheaper to make it in a lab, that is what you’d be getting.

So, it is a fluid viscosity restorer, not a replacement for cartilage or anything. Your bionic AJ knee joint still needs to be lubed, cushioned and provided a transport mechanism for nutrients and oxygen and all that. I understand that you still have a lot of real tissue hanging around like cartilage, bone, bursa, rent-a-tendons from your ankle, etc. So real life synovial fluid is still the way to go as long as you still have living, functional knee parts.

To make a replacement joint as you suggest, is in fact a knee replacement.

I don’t know how it is up there, but down here they want you to suffer for decades and spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ before you finally get old enough for an artificial knee. The people I know who have gotten them are like “I HAVE MY LIFE BACK, I AM IN NOOOOOOOOO PAIN, WHY DIDN’T I GET THIS SOONER!!!” Oh, cuz you’re a pawn.

Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor and I don’t even play one on TV.

I used to want to be a biomedical engineer. That would have been cool. I’ve made some electronic instruments for medical applications and that was a blast. Like a cheapo thing that can see veins under the skin even through the darkest skin, they pop like black on a white background.

Great thread. The title drew me in. I’m only 52 though. Post heart attack. Want to hit the 500 mark before I die. That 797M article came out at a good time. I’m ready for something fresh. Good luck to you and thanks for the laughs!

[quote]btm62 wrote:
Great thread. The title drew me in. I’m only 52 though. Post heart attack. Want to hit the 500 mark before I die. That 797M article came out at a good time. I’m ready for something fresh. Good luck to you and thanks for the laughs![/quote]

“I’m only 52 though.” Priceless. You know, we were only designed to live until about age 25. Sewers, refrigerators, dentistry, creatine…

“Post heart attack”: This thread is bringing out the Lazarus Lifters.

AnytimeJake who fell from the sky only to rise again with his garage built knee, throwing crazy heavy stuff around, inspiring the masses.

You with your grenaded pump house, replumbed and ready to defy gravity.

This is turning out all right.

BTW, I find 797M one of the most confusing things I have ever read. I could never tell a 7 from anything else. My personality flaws require me to schedule CONSERVATIVELY and follow the rules. I am not qualified to be instinctive or introspective or most anything starting with “in”. Well I pull off incomprehensible pretty well. But, whatever.

Coule things, because I never take it all in on the first read ( I’m not a detail oriented fella ) But it sounds like on top of everthing else, your operating with only half your vision ( - o ) or did I take that the wrong way, not to pry.

Also, what’s with the sportster you purchased, newer, older, healthy, or unheathly. I’ve got my eye on an old iron head. 74, same year I was born, but I need to unload my computerized late modle headache first. Other than an old triumph I had for awhile, I’ve never owned a bike this old, and I’ve heard alot of bad things about 70s sporty’s, but the guy only wants a grand, and it almost runs :slight_smile:

As for the eye, when I lost all my teeth in 02, as well as my shoulder getting emashed, I had my left orbital bone crushed, and I was in the hospital for 3 weeks, touch and go for a bit, but other than my left eye sitting a little lower than the other, everything worked out. Scary stuff, wrong bar, wrong time, wrong jacket, Anyway hadn’t heard from ya in a while, wondering if you were still up-right, or if mabey you were doing a Deload. later

Coule things, because I never take it all in on the first read ( I’m not a detail oriented fella ) But it sounds like on top of everthing else, your operating with only half your vision ( - o ) or did I take that the wrong way, not to pry.

[/quote]

Dude, I went all over stuff and can’t find the one eye ref. Nope, vision is okay actually. Though sometimes I think I see stuff which ain’t there.

The Sporty is just a '12 883 Iron, whatcha might call a girl’s bike. I meet the manager yesterday, shakes my hand and says “oh, yeah, that’s a nice starter bike.” Okay.

Anyhow, it (the Sportster) is in stupid good shape, like 2500 miles. I hope to not have to do anything on it but change oil and stuff. I find crawling around under a bike is not fun anymore. Hurts.

I miss having a two wheeler for when I’m not quite into hauling that Russian monstrosity Sasha out. Rode her yesterday to the dealership to pay the rest on the new bike. Raining/sleeting like a bitch, 3 degrees above freezing. She ran well for about 25 minutes, started on the first kick then I get off the freeway and she starts coughing and sputtering. I think the salt on the roads and all, I was arcing over. I have her all Boeshield-ed up for the salt in the winter, but I forgot to see how the grease in the plug covers is. She sat and dried out and was fine going home.

So, a small displacement, light destroyer, that is all.

I went to a Harley dealership in 1978 with my 1977 Dodge Aspen to look at iron head XLs. Every bike in the dealership was parked over a piece of cardboard to catch the oil. The guy goes “we can take your car as a trade in.” I thought, hmmmm, maybe not.

But, if I was 10-15 years younger, I think I’d be all about getting my hands on one.

Man, you are a human battle ground ain’t ya? Any parts on you without a dent?

Okay, workout posting…

I am 56.1726 years old, this is the oldest I have ever been, by the way.

I weighed in at 215.6 this morning.

To those who care, I only work out twice a week, pretty much (save for a wild period now and again) this is how I’ve always done it, like from the age of 13.

That’s like since 1970. When we already knew about drinking a gallon of milk a day. When we all knew about ABA, BAB workout schemes. When we already knew about doing a push, a pull and a squat movement in each full body workout. When we knew that beginners could do almost anything and progress, all they had to do was DO IT, and eat a lot. When we all knew that the Russians and Eastern bloc were training by percents. When we all knew that curls were so that when you sat a bar, the people across from you would know that you lift. When we all knew, aw, you get it.

Then glossy bodybuilding magazines came out and everybody forgot this stuff.

I see that all this stuff is in books now having only recently been invented.

Anyway, where was I…

Friday February 21, 2014

Bench (sort of)

18" grip for all benching.

Warmups:

45x15
95x8
135x5
185x2
205x2
225x2 (9 minutes)

Top sets (90% of 285):

257.5 x 5 sets x 2 reps (11 minutes)

Speed bench (60% of 285):

175 x 9 sets x 3 reps (8 minutes, 6 seconds)

Try and get 5 sets bench (54% of 285):

150 x 4 x 10 (7 minutes, yes, these are hard, I want 5 sets but my one shoulder decides when I am done, I’m tired and I wish my hobby was fishing)

Dips, body weight:

15, 9.5, 6.5 (2 minutes and 20 seconds, I forgot how heavy I am. Haven’t done dips in like 2 years.)

Goatee over the bars (chins), body weight:

15, 4, 3 (4 minutes, I am very, very tired)

Front raise, barbell, 31" grip, 45 pound bar:

25, 16 (2 minutes, 45 seconds)

No piss breaks (yes).

Your knee story made my one eye involuntarily shut. Foot up by your ear… HOWEVER, $180K is a salve of sorts I guess. You have a monster attitude, I, again, am humbled. Good luck with the local militia.

Mabey I miss took, but with your list of injuries, military discharge for unknown injury, and dark shades in the pic, thought I had a scoop, and picked up on some sneaky referance :slight_smile:

Mabey I miss took, but with your list of injuries, military discharge for unknown injury, and dark shades in the pic, thought I had a scoop, and picked up on some sneaky referance :)[/quote]

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

No, made my one eye shut was my description of my “cringe”. That is one shitty story and my cringe face is one eye closed. I keep the other one open in case there is something to see while I am cringing. Never know…

[quote]emskee wrote:
Okay, workout posting…

[/quote]

You are a funny dude. I swear you make me laugh every time I read a post of yours.

Also moving some weight.

and on the bike, the last bike I owned, and rode before I lost my ticket, was an 04 sportster, with Fat bobs, and a 4 inch drop, took the payments over from a buddy, I really liked it, 1200, fuckin fast bike. Guys that make fun of them, are guys that haven’t rode one. As of this year think they’re the best looking thing harley’s got coming off the assembly line.

funny story though, about my 04, embarrasing I guess, but I was headed to a weekend bash, and the cops had set up a cheack point, so I was getting my bike checked, and next to me the founder of a local bike club was going through the same bullshit ( local legend). Anyway I get cleared, but they won’t let him ride, because his bike didn’t have proper insurance or somthing, so I said here take my bike, and I’ll catch a ride with someone else ( I was freinds with his son ) so he looks at my bike, and he says naw, he’d rather walk than ride a girls bike, haha. To each they’re own, so he walked the 5 miles :slight_smile: later

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:
Okay, workout posting…

[/quote]

You are a funny dude. I swear you make me laugh every time I read a post of yours.

Also moving some weight. [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Just for the banter, this log is great.

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:
Okay, workout posting…

[/quote]

Also moving some weight. [/quote]

so he looks at my bike, and he says naw, he’d rather walk than ride a girls bike, haha. To each they’re own, so he walked the 5 miles :slight_smile: later[/quote]

Right!?!?!?!?!?

Kill ya just as fast as any other bike.