So Injured, So Old: 600lb DL Before I Die

I now have a long term goal: to be as strong as emskee!

I like you a bunch. Following along.

[quote]The_Jed wrote:
I now have a long term goal: to be as strong as emskee![/quote]

Your profile picture has a beard.

Beards make you strong.

Gray beards will make you a strong gray beard.

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Funny ol’fuc, I hate new fitness gyms too, thats why I went and opened my own ( Anytime) now I can do what ever the fuck I want, even actually squating in the squat rack. They kicked me out of the place down the road for correcting a kids form ( saving his spine), said I wasn’t an on staff trainer, and wasn’t allowed to help,‘’ can’t give advice anymore I guess.‘’ My place ( put them out of buisness) I make no money from trainer’s, they all ‘‘free lance’’ and set they’re own rates. Thats how it should be everywhere. ( I train in my garage)

I agree with they’re being far to much information for our own good now days, the grass always seems greener, and I’m sure I can get much stronger with any program, but the one I’m currently using, it’s almost an addiction, that keeps me chasing my tail. Be careful you don’t end up getting over informed :)[/quote]

I should change my name to Funny ol’fuc. Seriously.

So, this is a real business gym in your garage? That is outstanding! Used to be a couple of those around here in the 80’s - 90’s. Good shit.

I’d love to own a gym.

[quote]Mighty Matron wrote:
I like you a bunch. Following along.[/quote]

“Hi!”

That was a miss-spell, I ment funny ol’fucker, but anyway. Also you miss-understood, I own a franchise gym ( Anytime fitness ) thats how I make a living, but I still train in my garage :slight_smile:

Old Funny Ol’Fuckers have a hard time processing data.

I envy you your gym; I embrace the at home workout mode.

Carry on.

2/18/2014

I bought a new (used) Sportster yesterday evening which caused the skies to open overnight and dump 12" of snow onto my general area.

Thus, I am telecommuting to work + annual leave and get to work out in the morning rather than in the evening which I hate.

SQUATS

9:47 start

45 x 12
135 x 5
225 x 4 (Rehbands on)
325 x 2 (loose belt)
375 x 1 (medium belt)
400 x 1 (1 notch short of tight belt)

10:04 end

Piss break (prostate again, we used to get along, he and I) (should look in Pharma forum for a Flomax thread)

SPEED SQUATS

10:09 start

325 x 8 sets x 3 reps (1 set per minute, for speed)

10:16:15 end

Guy in mirror looks like he is crying.

DEADLIFT

10:30 start

335 x 20 sets x 1 rep (1 set every 20 seconds, for speed)

10:36:21 end

GOATEE OVER THE BAR (some people call them pull-ups)

BW x12, x4, x4 (3 minutes) (no laughing)

I am done!!! Something like 23.5 minutes of set time in 54 minutes of cellar time.

So far I am on/above track. The 400 squat was way deep, smooth and easy, as it was supposed to be because I imagine it to be somewhere between 85% - 90% 1RM. I do/did that single because I squat but once every 2 weeks and need to remind myself what a bent(ish) bar feels like.

Deadlifts were silly, but since I deadlift every 2 weeks, this also serves as a neuromuscular reminder.

Back feels good. Right knee medial meniscus didn’t polish out until the 375 squat and then it was silent. Ached a bit first 2 minutes of deads and then chilled again. I will ice the knee.

QUESTION: And I should probably post this in the O35 (i.e. Geriatric Ward) Forum, but does anyone else get an, um, sore prostate after heavy lifting? Not saying that I do…

I saw on the other thread, that you weld up some of your own equipment, so I asume like myself, your into lifting, and chopping. You look like you may be a reader of ‘‘The Horse’’, greatest mag on earth.

Anyway, I’ve weled up some equipment as well, I do odd jobs for my neighbor’s, trailer’s, and lawn mower handle’s and such. I have a late modle litter bike,( I bought it smashed) I’m contiplating, mad maxing into a hard tail, if I can figure out the electronic’s ( computer nonsense) I kind of asumed from your original posts and pic’s that we shared hobbie’s later

Nope, always wanted a chop. Grew old faster than all that could happen. Always wanted to bob some stupid simple platform like a Savage or maybe a vertical twin like a XS650 or something. Always liked Sportsters because they are BIKES. Then Came Bronson on TV when I was a kid. What you see is what it is. Just a utilitarian 2 wheels and a motor.

I did subscribe to The Horse, learned a ton, but after a while, it all started to blur, things started looking alike save for a little sometimes cosmetic thing. That one guy on the staff, can’t remember his name. I kept reading his stuff and he whined a lot. I should have just ignored him. Anyway, I let my subscription lapse. Rely on the internet now.

I’ve owned 1 (now 2) Sporties, 2 Royal Enfields, 2 Victories and 2 Urals. I have a 2010 Ural Taiga now and the Sporty is my small frame backup when it isn’t snowing, below 30 degrees or when the dear wife wants to go out for a ride…

Hardtail and bad backs are polar concepts. I was all like, "yeah, I’ll delets the Sportster’s front fender, bob the rear, hard tail it or, no wait, buy a rigid frame, blah, blah. Got old while other life got in the way (twin daughters, most of my injuries…I was in a neckbrace for months and couldn’t even ride).

By the way, you will never see a close-up of my welding work. Note: I also own a grinder :slight_smile:

What make on the metric basket?

Looks like training is going well. I like the belt tightness gauge lol.

Also I don’t know how much you’re weighing these days, but nice job hitting 12 pullups.

emskee, how close do you live to the ohio/indiana line?

[quote]csulli wrote:
Looks like training is going well. I like the belt tightness gauge lol.

Also I don’t know how much you’re weighing these days, but nice job hitting 12 pullups.[/quote]

(shhhh…don’t tell anybody…but I weigh 217…BUT…health insurance people want me to hit 177 so that my BMI would be 27 and I can skip the $500 fat man penalty. Problem is, 177 is about my lean body mass right now…)

I bet I am the only vane asshole here tring and pull props over belt tightness. “Did you see that Mildred, he did THAT with a hole to spare!!!”

[quote]chobbs wrote:
emskee, how close do you live to the ohio/indiana line?[/quote]

I’m at the southern tip of the snow belt in Geauga county, North East Ohio. I’m like an hour from Pennsylvania. Wrong side of Ohio.

You close to the border? Can you see The Wall from where you are? We do have a wall on the west side of Ohio I think. It’s been a while.

Powerlifting in Ohio is silly. How is it in Indiana???

I grew up iron working, so stick and mig are no problem, but i’m struggling to teach myself how to tig, seems to be to many things going on at once, I’ll get there. The litter bike’s a yammy, 04, it took a hard hot to the front end, and pushed the front wheel up against the rad. I got it cheap though, out on the ‘‘reserve’’ so I’m not 100% how the paper work will work out, when the time comes, it also needs a new coil to run, and I didn’t realize how much they cost when I bought the bike. It seems I bought another head ache, like I don’t have enough already.

I owned a bunch of bikes over the years as well, couple sporty’s, had a Merauder ( can’t spell) anyway suki but chain drive, and air cooled, great bike, I stripped it down, and nobody knew what it was. I rode my buddies Victory, nice bike, wish I had the money. lost my ticket for 10yrs over a road rage deal, and I only have 2yrs left to go, and I’ve started chomping at the bit, and wanting to start putting somthing togeather. I think I’ll part out my head ache, and use the money for a better project, I’ll post it when it happen’s

Also raced stock cars for a few years after I lost my driver’s ticket, but the oval turned out to be worse than hanging out in bars, as far as fighten and trouble were concerned, expensive too. Now it’s just lifting, and keeping up with my ‘‘honey do’’ list :slight_smile:

It’s good to have a kinderd spirit aboard, ya got me all fired up to start deadlifting again, I’ve been focused on learning to squat heavy around my re-built knee, but now I’m more concerned about being out deadlifted by a funny ol fuker, so I beter get to it. haha. later

Oh and some how I knew you were a Horse reader,

Probably George the painter, I find him whiny too !

Oh and some how I knew you were a Horse reader,

Probably George the painter, I find him whiny too ![/quote]

GTP was whiny, but I cut him some slack because he had a dicked up back (go figure). I guessed that they gave him a column so that they could slip him some cash, which was awfully decent, but otherwise he really had nothing to say. Englishman was cool. But that other guy, tall with the sit-at-the-bar-and-drink-beer biceps, who somehow found the opportunity over and over to tell you he attended law school or whatever that was, and always bitching about anyone who had not built their own bike, rode a bagger, was not cool this way, was not cool that way. If you are as cool and together as you think you are, you just carry on, you don’t have to whine about how uncool the guys are on your list of uncool guys. Like Santa Claus - just too judgmental for me.

The Horse did have the the best women in any bike mag. No nudity, no needle tracks, just professional looking models, with tats and bangs.

So, I’ve been reading your training blog. You’re some kind of rise from the ashes Phoenix Shaman dude aren’t ya? I am humbled.

So, I was supposed to be on some kind of build “team” and one guy did MIG, the other TIG so this guy says “you can be the stick welder.” So I go out and buy a Lincoln Buzz Box. Practiced for a few weeks and could lay down a pretty decent weld. As you know (or maybe you don’t because it’s just me) lay it down for a spell and when you try it again, all you do is stick sticks. Had a turn signal fall off my first Ural on the highway. First welding job on a bike making a better bracket. Totally needed that grinder and the touch-up paint.

[quote]emskee wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
emskee, how close do you live to the ohio/indiana line?[/quote]

I’m at the southern tip of the snow belt in Geauga county, North East Ohio. I’m like an hour from Pennsylvania. Wrong side of Ohio.

You close to the border? Can you see The Wall from where you are? We do have a wall on the west side of Ohio I think. It’s been a while.

Powerlifting in Ohio is silly. How is it in Indiana???[/quote]
Dang I was hoping you’d be closer lol

But that other guy, tall with the sit-at-the-bar-and-drink-beer biceps, haha, and calls himself ‘’ the hammer ‘’ Nick names are only cool, when someone else gives them to you, and I’m sure ‘’ the hammer ‘’ was one he gave himself.

As far as pulling myself from the ashes, I’m sure by the looks, you have a past as well. I just haven’t quite gotten old enough to forget mine yet :slight_smile: Everyone keeps telling me, that I’m a buisness man now, and I have to stop telling stories about prison’s, stripper’s,and blow ! LOL one of these days I’ll grow up, but I’ll keep telling crazy stories till then.

By the way whats a Urals, is that a Russian bike ?

But that other guy, tall with the sit-at-the-bar-and-drink-beer biceps, haha, and calls himself ‘’ the hammer ‘’ Nick names are only cool, when someone else gives them to you, and I’m sure ‘’ the hammer ‘’ was one he gave himself.

As far as pulling myself from the ashes, I’m sure by the looks, you have a past as well. I just haven’t quite gotten old enough to forget mine yet :slight_smile: Everyone keeps telling me, that I’m a buisness man now, and I have to stop telling stories about prison’s, stripper’s,and blow ! LOL one of these days I’ll grow up, but I’ll keep telling crazy stories till then.

By the way whats a Urals, is that a Russian bike ?[/quote]

“The Hammer”. Yeah. that’s him. Hadn’t thought about it but, I bet he did self bestow the title.

Attached is either 1 or 2 pics of Sasha my Ural Taiga, yup Russian.

I have no past really. US Army after high school. That’s where I learned that a shaved head is a happy head. Got hurt a little and after discharge in 1979 the government sent me to school. Blah, blah, blah and I’m now an electrical engineer with an advanced degree.

I work for the government and it isn’t appropriate for me to post too many details about myself.

All in all, lifting, or rather LOOKING like I lift scares children away and I like that. Not being tribal, I stay to myself. More than 5 people and I’m pretty sure that I am in the middle of an ambush or some pick pocket scheme. At work, I have a crew of 4 guys and our lab is behind locked doors and people have to knock to be let in. Nice.

Once when I was lifting at a gym, one of the trainers, a local cop, comes up to me and says “Sir, (sir?) I just wanted to tell you that you are the most serious person I see here. You come in, lift, don’t talk to anyone, don’t look in the mirrors, and then you leave.” So one day I come in and I have something stuck between my teeth and I’m afraid to look in the mirror to see what the hell it is. Don’t want to be caught looking in the mirror. I have a “no mirror” rep to uphold. Where am I going with this?

What’s the saying, “you have to grow old, but you don’t have to grow up”. Stay AJ, tell your stories forever. Living in the instant only lets you say “here I am”. “Where I was” is the good shit.