T Nation

So I Made the Change to IM from SubQ

It’s only been a week but I feel like maybe the T doesn’t last as long as it did on SubQ. Is that in my head or does our bodies process test cyp faster than SubQ?

That is the theory, although I don’t know if anyone has read or done a study comparing the two methods. I felt more bang for my buck on IM, also dosing EOD for stability

I still prefer intramuscular for a number of reasons… But there is a study:

“Subcutaneous Injection of Testosterone Is an Effective and Preferred Alternative to Intramuscular Injection: Demonstration in Female-to-Male Transgender Patients | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic” https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/102/7/2349/3098651

The SQ is a slower release, but the differences you are feeling might be a moot point once levels are stable at 4-6 weeks.

1 Like

Do you mind going into the reasons you prefer IM over SubQ?

IM is generally the more fail safe delivery methodology with less variables. And yes it is absorbed faster you will need to wait a few weeks to stabilize and your levels may rise on the same dose

What is your reason for IM, especially in lieu of your posted article

Oil injected into fat isn’t always a good idea. You might get by with smaller doses if doing ED or EOD but anything more than 0.4ml typically leaves a lump for many guys. Oil is much better suited as IM shots. HCG, GH, and peptides can work Sub-Q. There is often a preference into the way it makes guys feel. I have seen some prefer subcutaneous mostly due to the injection itself but there are some that do report feeling better that way compared to intramuscular. Some guys state that they prefer intramuscular. I have seen probably close to ten times more men switch from subcutaneous to intramuscular and reporting feeling much better than the other way around.

Keep in mind that I used to tell everybody to do subcutaneous and daily shots way back when I started trying to help guys out. I’ve learnt enough through experience at this point that I know better. Ideal starting protocol should typically be twice weekly intramuscular shots unless shbg is very low.

This study was simply to show that it was deemed safe and they saw little difference in absorption. Frankly I’ve seen enough at this point that sways me to recommend IM over Sub-Q if at all possible.

4 Likes

Now when you are doing IM do you still need 250mg per week to get 1000-1200ng/dl?

For me it seems I will need no more than 130mg on IM to get myself to 1300-1400

In most cases, dose did not require any change. In some cases there were huge differences in serum levels. It’s just one of those things you need to try for yourself like anything else.

One of my colleagues made a great video doing a deep dive on that subject if you’re interested.

What do you recommend when SHBG is really low?

@dhickey You will typically need to do more frequent injections. Either daily or every other day. It’s a pain but it works. Otherwise your serum levels will fluctuate too much and you’ll be wind up with symptoms that most guys refer to as ‘E2 issues’ which actually have nothing to do with E2 whatsoever.

This was the case with me. Low SHBG and Im on dailies now. EOD was making me feel good but dailies feel much better. I dont mind the injections. Its part of the mental goodness.

So you recommend if doing IM, to up your frequency due to how fast it processes opposed to the slower SubQ method? As of now I do .3 E3D…to make this switch, would .2 EOD be the protocol?

He is just saying oil is better absorbed IM. Frequency is different topic and should basically depend on SHBG with exceptions of course

I didn’t say that. It will get metabolised no matter what. I said that more frequent injections are recommended for low SHBG guys.