T Nation

So I Bought an Iron Gym...

…before you laugh know that I have a LT membership at Golds, I am 48, I own 4 companies, 3 homes, lots of land,married for 28 years with a grandchild,an industry forum,do 60 hours of volontary work each month. I am happy and successful. I am happy with my work out progress. However I have started a new project and my time will be constrained for 6 months. So I bought the Iron Gym pull up bar. It is quick, easy and convieniant.

Thats how I want my workouts to stay for the next 6 months regardless of what anyone says here about lower body work, proportinal issues and other negativity. I lurk frequently but don’t usually post because of the bashing anyone gets for asking a question out of the ordinary. I am hoping someone will grant my wish and answer intelligently. So here are my questions;

1)How often can I do pullups? Since I have it at my office I can take calls on speaker phone and still do pullups.

2)Can I overtrain doing strictly pullups? I can do them as often as I want thruout the day.

3)Can I do the pushups on pullup days? You can do a variety of pushups with it too.

Well there you have it fellow ironmates. I have had it for 5 weeks now and my wife says my back looks better than it ever has. I workout every other day doing the 3 types of pullups it prescribes. 1st week 1 set of each.(Total sets 3) 2nd week 2 sets of each.(total sets 6) 3rd week 3 sets of each. (toatal sets 9) 4th week 4 sets of each. (total sets 12)
So now I am at week 5 and at a crossroad. I do each set to failure, and rest 1 min between each set. I alternate the different grips each workout. I love pullups and would do them all day if it wouldnt be a problem.

So there you have it. Answers appreciated. :slight_smile:

Rob Allen.

If I were that successful at 48, personally, I would work on retiring or at the very least, make much more time for other interests, seeing as I’ve probably got well less than half my life left to live.

If that’s not an option, I’m sure you won’t need to worry too much about overtraining from a few sets of pushups and pullups a few times a week. I also don’t think you’ll have much of a problem doing pushups and pullups on the same days. If I were you, I’d still try to do some leg work though, single leg squats, lunges, something. But I doubt your upper body is going to end up too out of proportion from your lower body simply by doing pushups and pullups. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though.

Think of a way to add some sort of an external load. That’ll help you change things up a little bit.

if u do pull-ups through the day dont go to failure any of the times

1-Tatoo-I LOVE work and I’ll retire when I die. Thanks for the one leg squat idea!

2-Bone good point. I’ll pick up a belt. Hey and GREAT back man.

3-crod-I do the present workout in one session every other day, going to failure each set. Just wanted to know if I should or could do more.

I would check this product out to add some varitiy to your pull ups:

www.bwculture.net/?Click=473

And I would also watch these videos to get other ideas:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/some_sick_body_weight_strength_videos

There are a few bodyweight only articles in the library so if you search bodyweight in the search engine Im sure you’ll find something. Im pretty sure that Christian Thibaudeau did one, not sure how long ago.

If you cant find them just stick to something simple like fullbody or low volume. Or PM me and Ill give you some exercises that you can use with little to no equipment ie your pullup bar

[quote]suprarob wrote:
1-Tatoo-I LOVE work and I’ll retire when I die. Thanks for the one leg squat idea!

2-Bone good point. I’ll pick up a belt. Hey and GREAT back man.

3-crod-I do the present workout in one session every other day, going to failure each set. Just wanted to know if I should or could do more.

[/quote]

Thanks, I do weighted pullups lol

My advice is to workout as often as you feel can. I can’t think of a reason, off hand, why you couldn’t workout again as soon as you feel recovered. Eating enough will prevent overtraining to an extent as well. Developing imbalances in the less frequently trained muscles is something to keep in mind though.

I do pullups 3 times a week.

Work on the progressions leading up to the one arm pull up and one arm chin up.

Also, do kiss your wrist chinups and pullups. Instead of alternating side to side, I do each side for AMRAP then switch to the other side. I do that for chins and pullups.

Try it, it’s good.

Hey,

As for how often… I used to do them every 15-30 minutes for 10 days (10 days training, 3 days off, test your new repmax - one 14 day cycle). This kind of training is called GTG - Grease the Groove.

Regarding reps - you’ll do about half your repmax. That what worked for me, anyways.
For further reading on GTG: www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/

Also, if your bodyweight isn’t enough loading anymore and you have some (doesn’t need to be much) room for equipment, you could get a dip belt to add weight to the chins.

Or, even better, get a weight vest. You could also use it to add weight to the pushups, as well as one-legged squats and lunges.

http://www.weightvest.com/mensvests.html
I’d recommend the 150 Lbs long vest. This way you’ll never have to buy a heavier vest because your old one is getting too light (because hey, it’s already the heaviest weight vest available!). Also, you can add weight to it in small increasements.
I’d have gotten me one of those for myself long ago if I’d have the money.

[quote]JxG wrote:
Also, if your bodyweight isn’t enough loading anymore and you have some (doesn’t need to be much) room for equipment, you could get a dip belt to add weight to the chins. [/quote]
Please, dear OP. If you ever get yourself a dip belt and weights for your office pull-up bar, take pictures.

That would be the most awesome outfit ever:
Nice black pants + nice blue shirt + tie + dip belt with 50lbs or more.

Or else a vest seems like a nice buy, as you can do a lot of exercises with it. So you’ll get a fully developed body, not just wide wings.