So How Does Your Body Really Feel?

At 43, training off and on since I was 18, I live in pain. I’m used to it. My teen years, 12-18 I did a ton of manual labor, shoveling driveways in a Vermont ski area (we x-country skied to school), mowing lawns, splitting and stacking 12 tons of wet wood every fall…my body likes to work. If I go 2 days without doing something physical I feel like shit, mentally and physically.

I’ve torn extensor tendons in both arms, torn my left trap and right tri and had a menisectomy 6 months ago. There are some exercises I just don’t do anymore and it’s no biggie. Just wanna stay strong and look good.
With that in mind, to echo:
Don’t ego lift
Don’t do stupid behind the head/neck shit
No reverse curls!

[quote]BHappy wrote:
First thing that came to my mind good shoes(for you) about knee problem.
Second thing same about ankle problem. See an expert.
Next 5 things TRAIN SMART.
I got that from my nephew, from 18 to 28 he added 40 pounds of muscles to his 5 9 frame never bulking, never injured. He laughs about macho guys training hard.
Also mentioned previously…

Use higher reps 10-15.
d. Short rest periods.
e. Never train to failure

All the best ![/quote]

Interesting about the shoes. I usually lift in minimalist shoes or chucks, but I switched to a shoe that has a slight heel elevation when I squat or do quad dominant movements and I like it a lot better for my knee. It’s funny though, only one of my knees really ever has pain when I am lifting, but they both seem to be really “creaky” I guess is one way to put it.

34, training since I was 14 (but wasnt any good at it until I was 18!). I have messed up knees, shoulders and my right elbow is jacked. However, everything is from SPORTS - NONE of it is from training. And I also ache more when I am not in the gym like most of you.

You have to know your body and how you respond to training. I have a high threshold for lifts and cardio - way more than is recommended, probably from some of the sports I played - but I do well with it and mentally enjoy it. But I know when to lay off too. You should not overdo it, at least not too often, according to your body’s demands.

Add in good eating and plenty of sleep, and the rest of it is genetics…

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
“If I could go back 30 yrs ago with what I know now” I have trained consistently for 30+ years. I would have trained a lot differently than I did.

I would:

1. I would follow Wendlers 531. Understanding that there is a philosophy that you can be strong enough and
    pushing it will not help your growth, but get you hurt.
  2. Assistance movements
    a. Always controlled.
    b. Always go for the “feel”.
    c. Use higher reps 10-15.
    d. Short rest periods.
    e. Never train to failure.
  3. Start shoulder rehab movements “shoulder horn,broomstick stretches, YTWL” before I needed them.
  4. Always do more rows than I think I need.
  5. Do not do movements that compromise my joints in any way, like guillotine press, Behing the neck" ____".
  6. No the difference between DOMS and injury.
  7. Never ignore “nagging” pains, they will turn into a chronic injury that WILL limit your training.
  8. Read and educate yourself, sources should be credible,ex. T-Nation authors.[/quote]

that’s some serious stuff right here^^