T Nation

Snoring/Sleep Apnea

[quote]Chushin wrote:
What have you guys paid for these set-ups that you have?[/quote]

Less than a $1,000 for a fully-automatic with humidifier, nasal pillows, and a heated tube. On-line prescription $99.

easybreathe.com

I have 3 now — one for the bed, one for a chair I like to take a nap in, and one I keep packed up because I travel all the time.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:
What have you guys paid for these set-ups that you have?[/quote]

Less than a $1,000 for a fully-automatic with humidifier, nasal pillows, and a heated tube. On-line prescription $99.

easybreathe.com

I have 3 now — one for the bed, one for a chair I like to take a nap in, and one I keep packed up because I travel all the time.[/quote]

I have to get set up with automatic mask and filter refills again with my insurance. The deal you have sounds good. I keep my CPAP in the case and just move it around depending on where I crash for the night.

Aha, a sleep apnea thread pops up again…

I myself too have a Resmed (S8?) model, w/nasal “pillows” that insert into your nostrils… Much less invasive than some full face fighter pilot oxygen mask models they have out there.

I’ve fallen off the wagon this month wearing it due to being ill & when you have a cold how the hell do you wear your CPAP then?

Need to get back to wearing mine as there is a marked difference in energy levels, when I started wearing it again I was shocked at how awake I was in the afternoons at work with the usual afternoon coffee before the zombie drive home…

I don’t know how it works in the US but IIRC here in Canada under some insurance plans a large % is covered by OHIP… at most my unit ran me a few hundred $$$ out of pocket.

As for Steelnation, strap in a little tighter so the mask stays on. I too used to wake up with my mask off but I’ve found if I keep to sleeping on my side it helps keep the mask on.

I am also helpfully reminded the mask is off by my wife walloping me in the head with a pillow to turn off what sounds like a lawnmower that fell into our bed around 3AM

I’m still set on dropping a min of 20 lbs or so to see if it helps; on the other T-Nation posts & online stuff I’d read up on SA it doesn’t matter if you’re skinny or fat, internal throat structure, neck/tonsil size, heredity, etc. all pay a role sadly

[quote]jaybvee wrote:

I’m still set on dropping a min of 20 lbs or so to see if it helps; on the other T-Nation posts & online stuff I’d read up on SA it doesn’t matter if you’re skinny or fat, internal throat structure, neck/tonsil size, heredity, etc. all pay a role sadly[/quote]

That is not entirely true, neck size and visceral fat play a very important role for MOST people.

Just not for all.

Also there is a form of sleep apnea where it is not mechanical at all, your brain just forgets to breathe.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

My sleeping problems began when my wife got that damn cpap sound generator

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]jaybvee wrote:

I’m still set on dropping a min of 20 lbs or so to see if it helps; on the other T-Nation posts & online stuff I’d read up on SA it doesn’t matter if you’re skinny or fat, internal throat structure, neck/tonsil size, heredity, etc. all pay a role sadly[/quote]

That is not entirely true, neck size and visceral fat play a very important role for MOST people.

Just not for all.

Also there is a form of sleep apnea where it is not mechanical at all, your brain just forgets to breathe. [/quote]

I snored like a broken chain saw at 160 lbs and also at 240 lbs, so the body fat/size correlation is out the window with me. Over age throat tissues loosen up. Get the tonsils and adenoids in concert with that and you’re one loud mess at night.

The non-obstructive sleep apnea is known as central sleep apnea (CSA). A bit more rarer than OSA.

Rob

[quote]treco wrote:
My sleeping problems began when my wife got that damn cpap sound generator[/quote]

Get her to get a new one. The new ones make no noise at all unless you get a leak and then it’s a gentle hiss really only audible to the wearer.

Regarding weight, I am a skinny bastard and have had sleep apnea since Walter Reed/getting trached. Lots of reasons for it.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:

I’ve fallen off the wagon this month wearing it due to being ill & when you have a cold how the hell do you wear your CPAP then?

[/quote]

Afrin

[quote]jaybvee wrote:

[/quote]

Afrin[/quote]

Or he could get a full face mask just in case he needs it.

Those are the only ones I have and I dont understand what the fuzz is about.

[quote]treco wrote:
My sleeping problems began when my wife got that damn cpap sound generator[/quote]

Get her to get a new one. The new ones make no noise at all unless you get a leak and then it’s a gentle hiss really only audible to the wearer.

Regarding weight, I am a skinny bastard and have had sleep apnea since Walter Reed/getting trached. Lots of reasons for it.[/quote]

My CPAP is extremely quiet and compact. If I leave it on by mistake I can hardly hear it running.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]jaybvee wrote:

[/quote]

Afrin[/quote]

I know some people have an extra full-face mask for when their nose is stuffed up badly. I use a sinus rinse or other prescription nasal spray when I have a cold and get by easily with the nasal pillows mask.

I haven’t tried afrin yet, the nasal rinse works and I use it at the aerliest sign of a cold or congestion.

Or he could get a full face mask just in case he needs it.

Those are the only ones I have and I dont understand what the fuzz is about.

[/quote]

I went with the sleep clinic prescribed by my sleep doc and it was expensive as heck and really didn’t like it. They told me to get there at 7 and tried to get me to go to sleep around 9:00 which is often when I do my best work at office. Finally dozed about 11:30 which is about normal anyway.

Once I got my results they sent me to a retail store to buy the CPAP equipment and try on a number of masks. Turns out that they would come to your house and do one much cheaper. As much as I disliked the sleep doc and clinic I love the CPAP store. They have been very helpful and given me a ton of follow up advice.

While you will ultimately need a prescription maybe find a retail store first. Mask preferences are highly personal, cannot imagine getting one of the internet.

Also there are several threads on here and there are message boards like www.apneaboard.com where you can get information from other apnea sufferers.