Snoring/Sleep Apnea

I have been training for years but have always maintained 180/190ish body weight. I have recently been training more and am about 200/205 but I haven’t been playing sports like I used to but I am much stronger now. The problem, my wife says that I have been snoring really bad and she thinks that I have sleep apnea. Does anybody else have this problem?

In the top right corner where is says search site.

Put sleep apnea and see how many threads there are about this topic.

Good luck

[quote]DG302 wrote:
I have been training for years but have always maintained 180/190ish body weight. I have recently been training more and am about 200/205 but I haven’t been playing sports like I used to but I am much stronger now. The problem, my wife says that I have been snoring really bad and she thinks that I have sleep apnea. Does anybody else have this problem? [/quote]

Yes. Get a CPAP, preferably a nasal pillow mask only. Easybreathe.com

Your wife should be able to tell you if you stop breathing for a bit and start again with a big gasp. If so, go for a sleep study. I did mine through a local ENT who has his own sleep lab.

Best thing I ever did and I’m on a CPAP since 2008. I have the nasal pillows mask, almost zero discomfort vs some of the other masks out there.

Rob

a sleep study necessary to efficiently take advantage of a sleep-mask?

[quote]Claudan wrote:
a sleep study necessary to efficiently take advantage of a sleep-mask?[/quote]

No doctor will fit you for sleep apnea gear without a sleep study.

They do it in a couple of possible ways. You may go for a straight sleep study with no mask, just to see what the occurances are and get you through all the stages of sleep. They crunch a lot of data and you are really wired up.

Another way is with a split-study. You start off without the mask, but if they get in enough of what they want to see, they can wake you up and put a mask on you and see how that does and fine tune the CPAP settings.

I’ve had 6 sleep studies done over the years, which may have been good as the machines got a lot smaller and quieter over time. My CPAP (Resmed S8 Escape) is the size of a clock radio and quiet. I have the minimally-invasive nasal pillows mask so I sleep very well.

They slapped a full-face mask on my sister a few years back and she refuses to use it. Those are pretty horrid. I had to adjust to breathing through my nose at night, some people can’t make the adjustment. But the sleep study pretty much tells the techician which way to go with what type of mask.

Rob

Snoring keeps the bears away… FYI Snoring is alpha as fuck.

thanks rob

i figure lack of oxygen during sleep can only shorten your life-span, among other things.

[quote]Claudan wrote:
thanks rob

i figure lack of oxygen during sleep can only shorten your life-span, among other things. [/quote]
other things
your significant other smothering you with a pillow to stop your snoring!

I had sleep apnea but went with surgery. the doc butchered me when he performed UPPP or Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty. he removed my tonsils, adenoids, uvula, and “loose skin” in my throat. found out later, after he died of cirrhosis of the liver, he was known in the med community for his shitty work! I have issues with my throat now and for the rest of my life. I have heard that UPPP with a competent surgeon works great and there are no or minimal issues.

I use a CPAP. It makes a huge difference (when you keep it on all night).

Speaking of that, anyone have any tips for making sure it stays on all night? I have the nasal pillow mask and always wake up in the morning with the mask off. I can usually tell how long I kept it on by how good or bad I feel.

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:
thanks rob

i figure lack of oxygen during sleep can only shorten your life-span, among other things. [/quote]
other things
your significant other smothering you with a pillow to stop your snoring!

I had sleep apnea but went with surgery. the doc butchered me when he performed UPPP or Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty. he removed my tonsils, adenoids, uvula, and “loose skin” in my throat. found out later, after he died of cirrhosis of the liver, he was known in the med community for his shitty work! I have issues with my throat now and for the rest of my life. I have heard that UPPP with a competent surgeon works great and there are no or minimal issues.
[/quote]

I had the UPPP in 2007 and it was pretty successful. The overall for it curing snoring is like 40% and I’m not in that group. This surgeon (also my ENT) is known for his sleep apnea procedures.

Prior to surgery, my CPAP would have to be on a high setting and after surgery I had my final sleep studies done, I was down to a setting of 4.

I’ve known a couple of guys that have died in their sleep and they had undiagnosed sleep apnea from what I hear from their wives. My wife just about dragged me to get tested. Everyone thinks snoring is funny as hell, but its not if you have a massive heart attack while your body tries to get you breathing again. I’m 100% sure I was close more than once.

Rob

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
I use a CPAP. It makes a huge difference (when you keep it on all night).

Speaking of that, anyone have any tips for making sure it stays on all night? I have the nasal pillow mask and always wake up in the morning with the mask off. I can usually tell how long I kept it on by how good or bad I feel.[/quote]

I find the better it fits before you get into bed makes a big difference on how well it stays on during the night. The top head band on mine loosens up and has to be adjusted now and then.

Mine always does stay on, but the seal may be off a bit and I hear the air escaping. I’ll wake up for a second or so, adjust it and I go right back to sleep.

Rob

CPAP.

Life changing.

Sleep study is so easy. Set aside one night. They’ll treat you like royalty.

^ I’m kinda stoked! I hate waking up in the morning with the most swollen uvula and dry mouth.

CPAPs don’t look like they’re that expensive, but what does a sleep study cost? I’m seeing anywhere from 500 to 5000 dollars.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
Snoring keeps the bears away… FYI Snoring is alpha as fuck. [/quote]

If snoring was a sport I’d be constantly accused of doping. Raw super heavy weight freestyle snoring World champion, G.O.A.T!

I keep AQ away because it sounds like soviet era gunships circling my house all night.

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
CPAPs don’t look like they’re that expensive, but what does a sleep study cost? I’m seeing anywhere from 500 to 5000 dollars.[/quote]

Just by an automatically-adjustable CPAP and you don’t need to screw with the study because the pressure sets automatically.

Prescriptions available on-line.

[quote]Claudan wrote:
^ I’m kinda stoked! I hate waking up in the morning with the most swollen uvula and dry mouth. [/quote]

Be careful with that. I had the tissue in my throat stick togetehr a few times and I had a completely blocked airway. This was before my UPPP surgery. The first time I was in bed, got up and took a sip of water that un-stuck my airway. The last time, I was on the couch and my wife saw me deal with it.

This is how most guys that die of heart attacks in their sleep check out.

Rob

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
CPAPs don’t look like they’re that expensive, but what does a sleep study cost? I’m seeing anywhere from 500 to 5000 dollars.[/quote]

My health insurance paid for all 6 of my sleep studys, also the CPAP and I get masks every 4 months. I have a deductible that has to be made, think everything after that now I pay 20%. I need to get a new mask soon.

I’d hate to think of someone paying out of pocket for a sleep study, my WAG would be they go for around $2000-3000.

On an old plan (Aetna) I was getting masks new automatically. There was a local supplier who was more than happy to do so. This was during my transition from the nasal mask to nasal pillows so I sold a bunch of nasal masks on eBay.

I know that the price on CPAPs has gone down quite a bit and they were only available by prescription and to be set up per the sleep study results. I can change anything on mine, but the only thing I did change was the 25-mimute ramp up down to 10 minutes.

Rob