T Nation

Snopes and the Candidates

I had someone send me a forward the other day about Obama. I wanted to check the authenticity, so I looked at Snopes.com. Snopes isn’t the Holy Grail or anything, but they do a pretty good job researching and debunking a lot of myths.

Turns out the email I was forwarded (it was Obama snubbing Troops he visited in Iraq) was a bunch of crap.

Then, I looked at the stuff on Snopes about John McCain.

Turns out, there are 33 entries about Obama. 20 of them are untrue according to Snopes. 9 of them have “multiple truth values” or are “undetermined.”

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp

There are 5 about McCain. 2 of them are untrue. 1 is “undetermined.”

http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/mccain.asp

Here’s a question. Where is all this misinformation about Obama coming from? There are six times the amount of entries about Obama than there are about McCain. 60% of the Obama entries are untrue (according to Snopes).

[quote]flightspeed wrote:
I had someone send me a forward the other day about Obama. I wanted to check the authenticity, so I looked at Snopes.com. Snopes isn’t the Holy Grail or anything, but they do a pretty good job researching and debunking a lot of myths.

Turns out the email I was forwarded (it was Obama snubbing Troops he visited in Iraq) was a bunch of crap.

Then, I looked at the stuff on Snopes about John McCain.

Turns out, there are 33 entries about Obama. 20 of them are untrue according to Snopes. 9 of them have “multiple truth values” or are “undetermined.”

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp

There are 5 about McCain. 2 of them are untrue. 1 is “undetermined.”

http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/mccain.asp

Here’s a question. Where is all this misinformation about Obama coming from? There are six times the amount of entries about Obama than there are about McCain. 60% of the Obama entries are untrue (according to Snopes). [/quote]

The Clinton camp is what I heard. But, I’ll have to check with Snopes to confirm…

It’s just easier to get people riled up about a black guy with a diverse background and childhood than it is an old white guy that’s been in the senate forever. People will believe a lie because they want it to be true, or are afraid it might be true.

How about the fact that we already know everything there is to know about McCain becuase of the length of time he has been on the national stage?

[quote]dhickey wrote:
How about the fact that we already know everything there is to know about McCain becuase of the length of time he has been on the national stage?[/quote]

I didn’t know about his first wife. I had no idea. The facts suggest he cheated on her before leaving her, then lied about it in his book. He put in print that his divorce was finalized in February of 1980, when it was actually only FILED in February of 1980. It was FINALIZED in April of 1980.

I really don’t give much weight to a politician’s relationship choices if they faithfully act in the best interests of their constituents and they are the right person for the job.

I’d vote for pretty much anyone if the had a good plan and were held accountable to that plan. McCain’s ex-wife says she’s voting for him.

I didn’t know about his first wife. I had no idea. The facts suggest he cheated on her before leaving her, then lied about it in his book. He put in print that his divorce was finalized in February of 1980, when it was actually only FILED in February of 1980. It was FINALIZED in April of 1980.

I really don’t give much weight to a politician’s relationship choices if they faithfully act in the best interests of their constituents and they are the right person for the job.

I’d vote for pretty much anyone if the had a good plan and were held accountable to that plan. McCain’s ex-wife says she’s voting for him.

[/quote]
When I say “we”, i mean those of us that actually follow politics. All of this is known by the press and has been reported on.

I really don’t give much weight to a politician’s relationship choices if they faithfully act in the best interests of their constituents and they are the right person for the job. I’d vote for pretty much anyone if the had a good plan and were held accountable to that plan. McCain’s ex-wife says she’s voting for him.

[/quote]
This… does… not… compute…