T Nation

Sniper Workout Eating Habits and Suggestions


#1

I have decided that I am willing to shell out the money to try the sniper workout and I was very interested in the foods that should or should not be consumed if following the regiment of 2 workouts a day as specified and using the required supplements. I am not personally a body builder but I have always had interest in getting into strongman competitions but I have never been successful at adding the muscle.

I push my body very hard when there is a goal to strive for but I do not want to blindly throw away this type of money and not have a fully functional idea of what I should be eating. I have always thrown money into a pot on random supplements and I would really like to reach my fitness goals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


#2

[quote]Benjamin0060 wrote:
I have always had interest in getting into strongman competitions but I have never been successful at adding the muscle.

I would really like to reach my fitness goals.[/quote]
What is your specific goal? Do you want to build muscle, drop fat, or get into strongman? Those are really three different things that call for different approaches.

Your profile says you’re 5’11" and 268 pounds. I’m not sure what your current strength levels are on the basic lifts, but I don’t think going to a serious bulking phase and trying to add more bodyweight is the right call.

For nutrition, I’d check out the article from just yesterday:

That should help you set up a basic eating plan that focuses on the right stuff.


#3

My true interest is the strongman approach but if I just got muscular I would be fine with that too.


#4

if you’re not already muscular at 268lbs then you must be very fat.

I’d drop the weight first. Get lean enough to see your abs and any muscle you build will look more impressive. It’s very motivating.


#5

In response you are correct I have muscle I am not totally fat but just to give an example I wear a 42x30 pant due to thighs and glutes but there is a large portion of fat as well. I have to wear a 2XL shirt in part because I have a longer torso. As you have said there is fat but I’m not total fat. But I have had problems with weight and my father is 350 lbs so I have a natural fear of getting to a point where I have no chance. I would be fine with lean and just getting more defined muscle (not necessarily ripped muscle).


#6

[quote]Benjamin0060 wrote:
In response you are correct I have muscle I am not totally fat but just to give an example I wear a 42x30 pant due to thighs and glutes but there is a large portion of fat as well. I have to wear a 2XL shirt in part because I have a longer torso. As you have said there is fat but I’m not total fat. But I have had problems with weight and my father is 350 lbs so I have a natural fear of getting to a point where I have no chance. I would be fine with lean and just getting more defined muscle (not necessarily ripped muscle). [/quote]

it sounds to me like the perfect time to get a handle on it then, mate.

At your size, I would go for like 200g of protein a day, keep carbs to 100g (or lower) and make sure I’m getting tons of vegetables in there. Fats will more or less take care of themselves providing you are cooking with good quality fats, eating eggs and not shying away from fatty cuts of meat.

That should be enough to make some quite drastic changes in your body composition at this stage.


#7

[quote]Benjamin0060 wrote:
I would be fine with lean and just getting more defined muscle (not necessarily ripped muscle). [/quote]
That basic nutrition info from Yogi is spot on. Keep it simple and effective, no crazy fads or “quick fixes” necessary.

For training, consider something straight-forward like this:

You could tack on 15-20 minutes of easy-ish cardio everyday. Even a simple walk would be a good start.


#8

I have gotten used to the workout in the Sniper training Chris. Will it affect by body extremely if I cut down the workouts per day or if I continue doing these workouts and cut back later? Just curious as to what the effects could be. Thanks


#9

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Benjamin0060 wrote:
In response you are correct I have muscle I am not totally fat but just to give an example I wear a 42x30 pant due to thighs and glutes but there is a large portion of fat as well. I have to wear a 2XL shirt in part because I have a longer torso. As you have said there is fat but I’m not total fat. But I have had problems with weight and my father is 350 lbs so I have a natural fear of getting to a point where I have no chance. I would be fine with lean and just getting more defined muscle (not necessarily ripped muscle). [/quote]

it sounds to me like the perfect time to get a handle on it then, mate.

At your size, I would go for like 200g of protein a day, keep carbs to 100g (or lower) and make sure I’m getting tons of vegetables in there. Fats will more or less take care of themselves providing you are cooking with good quality fats, eating eggs and not shying away from fatty cuts of meat.

That should be enough to make some quite drastic changes in your body composition at this stage.[/quote]

This is great advice.

For the most part, how much fat and muscle you have is dictated by your nutrition. Following Yogi’s advice, you can lose fat and build muscle with this simple approach.


#10

[quote]Benjamin0060 wrote:
I have gotten used to the workout in the Sniper training Chris.[/quote]
That’s fine and it’s a solid routine but it has pretty much zero to do with strongman training, which you said was your “true interest.” That’s why I suggested a different program.

The routine is designed to be done with two workouts per day. Dropping one of those workouts would be a huge compromise that will definitely impact results. You could probably cram both sessions into one (obviously longer) workout, but it wouldn’t be ideal.


#11

So if I switch to the 3 times per week what should my supplement regiment be each day? Because that was part of the sniper workout and I do not want too much of anything or not getting enough. Nor do I want to take it at the wrong times during the day


#12

All laid out here…


#13

[quote]Benjamin0060 wrote:
So if I switch to the 3 times per week what should my supplement regiment be each day? Because that was part of the sniper workout and I do not want too much of anything or not getting enough. Nor do I want to take it at the wrong times during the day[/quote]
I’d stick with the same basic setup. Plazma pre and/or during training; MAG-10 post workout and, if possible, before bed. On non-training days, no Plazma obviously, but still hit the MAG-10 pre-bed and maybe once during the day.

But again, check that first article I linked about nutrition and clean things up on that end too. That’d help performance and nudge progress in a fat loss direction.