T Nation

Sneezing and 'Bless You'

Anybody else get annoyed when somebody sneezes and 5 people say ‘bless you’ to them. How stupid is that! I was thinking that it had religious significance like sneezing meant a person was trying to get the devil out of them so that’s why people would originally say it. I was kind of off so here’s the wikipedia link to it’s reasoning.

Whether you’re religious or secular it’s makes no sense to say this to someone who sneezes. If you disagree, please tell me why. I would have no problem changing my mind but as of now it’s annoying.

It’s especially annoying that people will interrupt what they are doing or what others are doing to say it. This is one of those little things that makes me wonder about a person’s thinking abilities.

You know, what you should say when someone sneezes is “you’re so good looking”

When I see or hear someone start to sneeze, I put distance between me and them. Whatever they have that’s causing them to sneeze is nothing I want to contract. Yuck.

it’s called common courtesy

Fine, from now on when you sneeze, I’ll say fuck you.

I usually ask, Did you lose anything important.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
it’s called common courtesy[/quote]

Yeah I thought about that too but that has nothing to do with it.
Does anybody say anything when you cough, birp, fart, or whatever. NO. I can’t see in any way how it has to do with common courtesy.

[quote]dk44 wrote:
Fine, from now on when you sneeze, I’ll say fuck you.[/quote]

That’s fine and would probably be more fitting. Not that I care that much but occasionally you get those super loud sneezers that scare the crap out of you and I do want to say fuck you to them a little bit.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
You know, what you should say when someone sneezes is “you’re so good looking”[/quote]

That would be funny but why? Just to be random?

[quote]Radcon wrote:
xXSeraphimXx wrote:
You know, what you should say when someone sneezes is “you’re so good looking”

That would be funny but why? Just to be random?

[/quote]

You need to brush up on your Seinfeld, my friend.

And on the matter, its a vestige left over from olden days that is now a matter of common courtesy. I am an atheist and dont believe in spirits being sneezed out through the nose, but I still say it because I like to(I just say “Bless you”. I fully understand its only value is socially built and based and it does nothing in the grand scheme of things, but what the hell…

Interestingly enough, the Spanish speaking people in our culture say “Health.” So it does appear to be something that other cultures have found to be interesting enough to comment on for whatever reason.

I love Seinfeld I can’t believe I didn’t catch that.

I realize it is left over from olden days. The thing that gets me about it is that I swear I’ve seen it spread like the cool thing to say. I’m in classes with the same people all day and it started out that only a few people would say it but more and more people are saying it now, it’s seriously become like a cool thing to say.

The Germans say gesundheit which means “good health” and that at least makes sense.

Don’t know if you’ve seen it but Dane Cook has a bit where he talks about saying this but he says God bless you since he’s not God and can’t bless people himself. Kinda funny.

This is what can happen when you don’t say god bless you:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1792424

When you sneeze, that’s your soul trying to escape. Saying “God bless you” crams it back in! And when you die, it squirms out and flies away.

I’m probably wrong, but I always thought it came from the time of the bubonic plague in London in 1665.

One of the symptoms was sneezing. If you started sneezing during that time you were probably going to die, hence people saying Bless You

It’s like the childs nursery ryhme…

Ring a ring o’ rosies
A pocketful of posies
“Atishoo, Atishoo”
We all fall down!

As in all fall down dead

http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/nursery_rhymes/ring_a_ring_o_rosies.htm

Regardless of what it may have meant 300 years ago, it has evolved into something that a lot of people say just for, as mentioned above, common courtesy.

Get over it.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
When you sneeze, that’s your soul trying to escape. Saying “God bless you” crams it back in! And when you die, it squirms out and flies away.[/quote]

why does the soul use the nose as the easiest escape route? there are plenty of “other exits”

[quote]nephorm wrote:
When you sneeze, that’s your soul trying to escape. Saying “God bless you” crams it back in! And when you die, it squirms out and flies away.[/quote]

I bet your mom thinks you’re cool.

Really? Out of all the things going on in the world people saying “bless you” when you sneeze annoys you enough to share it with the world?

It’s not a cool thing to say, people just realized they were impolite asses so they decided to take after the people that had manors.

Even if people are saying simply because they think it�??s funny or in some strange way, cool, there are worse things people could copy than being polite.

I agree; it’s completely ridiculous. As for claims or defenses of politeness or courtesy, bullshit. Saying ‘bless you’ to someone because they have sneezed is no different than same for a cough, as previously mentioned, yet it is not done and not considered impolite. Why is it polite to comment on a sneeze and not a cough? Why is it polite in the first place? You don’t need to concern yourselves with my sneezes, I am fine.

It’s considered polite based on antiquated social folkways, and is as obsolete as any useless old-tyme superstition. Blindly following tradition is ridiculous. Change is good.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I agree; it’s completely ridiculous. As for claims or defenses of politeness or courtesy, bullshit. Saying ‘bless you’ to someone because they have sneezed is no different than same for a cough, as previously mentioned, yet it is not done and not considered impolite. Why is it polite to comment on a sneeze and not a cough? Why is it polite in the first place? You don’t need to concern yourselves with my sneezes, I am fine.

It’s considered polite based on antiquated social folkways, and is as obsolete as any useless old-tyme superstition. Blindly following tradition is ridiculous. Change is good.[/quote]

or you could stop being a jerk and just say bless you, to be polite. change is good, being an ass isn’t.