T Nation

Sneakers Causing Patella Tendinitis?

ive always used new balance sneakers for my running.

i switched to adidas supernovas because i read a lot of positive reviews about them. then my knee started to hurt.

could the sneakers be causing my knee to feel like i have patella tendinits? has anyone experienced anything like this before?

i’m gonna switch back to new balance to see what happens…

Try not running for a few days and R.I.C.E. and see how it feels

the thing is…i wasn’t running at all…my knee started to bother me after jumping rope one day…it was the first “impact” training i did in a while.

Do a lot of single leg and posterior chain work. Do not use the Leg press and Leg extension machines. Also , have yourself analyzed so you know if you are an overpronator or an underpronator. Foam rolling during your recovery days should help.

Check out some of the “body repair” articles on this site.

Pretty sure they’ve got some articles that would help you out. A lot of times problems in the knees start with mobility/flexibility issues in the feet/ankles…

I have had crappy shoes give me knee pain. I got some new shoes and the pain went away. I can’t say if this is your issue but this is what I experienced. I believe it was affecting my pronation causing my feet to point inward.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Check out some of the “body repair” articles on this site.

Pretty sure they’ve got some articles that would help you out. A lot of times problems in the knees start with mobility/flexibility issues in the feet/ankles…[/quote]

where can i find these articles?

Dude if you have a wide flat foot then NB or the Brooks Beast is recommended.

I’ve wrecked pairs of Adidas and Nike’s within a couple months because they’re meant for people with either a high arch or a narrow foot or weigh less than 220 lbs.

But yeah, if jumping rope was your first go at anything high impact I’m confident that your knee was bothering you due to that event.

Running shoes have different constructs for different types of feet, running styles, etc. It could be that the pair you bought aren’t right for you. You could always see a podiatrist to figure out what type of shoe construction you should be shopping for.

DB

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
Running shoes have different constructs for different types of feet, running styles, etc. It could be that the pair you bought aren’t right for you. You could always see a podiatrist to figure out what type of shoe construction you should be shopping for.

DB

+1.

Also, even if the shoes you bought were ‘right’ for you, it is always recommended that you gradually phase out your old shoes whilst phasing in the new, to allow time for your foot musculature to readjust.

I.e. no sudden switch over.

The more miles/week you run, the worse the effects of a sudden change in footwear.

BBB[/quote]

As super conservative as that may sound to the layman, you’re 100% right. I’ve learned that from fucking myself up too many times by getting a new pair of shoes and doing everything in them right away.

You could also try some vibrams, They kick the shit out of any running shoe. This is coming from a person who was a competetive distance runner in HS & College. Running in running shoes now feels like I’m running with cement blocks on my feet. I was always a midfoot striker anyways though, so I may just be a little more “made” for barefoot running anyways. But if you can learn it, it’s the balls.

V

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Dude if you have a wide flat foot then NB or the Brooks Beast is recommended.

I’ve wrecked pairs of Adidas and Nike’s within a couple months because they’re meant for people with either a high arch or a narrow foot or weigh less than 220 lbs.

But yeah, if jumping rope was your first go at anything high impact I’m confident that your knee was bothering you due to that event.
[/quote]

actually i have a normal to narrow width foot and have high arches. i also weigh around 230lbs.

maybe i should just start wearing the adidas around my house before getting back to running. for a while to see if that makes a difference?

btw, the model is adidas supernova cushion 7

I was having some knee pain and mentioned it to my massage therapist on my last visit. She worked on my IT Band and the knee pain went away pretty much instantly. I now massage it with a tennis ball a few times a week and my knees have been great.

[quote]Christine wrote:
I was having some knee pain and mentioned it to my massage therapist on my last visit. She worked on my IT Band and the knee pain went away pretty much instantly. I now massage it with a tennis ball a few times a week and my knees have been great.
[/quote]

This happened to me last year when I was training for my marathon. It was so bad that it felt like someone was taking a sledgehammer to my knee the week before my race. My physio kicked the shit out of my IT bands so I could race, but since then I’ve regularly foam rolled without issues.

It took me a while to find a shoe that didn’t bother my feet. It helps that there’s a Running Room store near my place that allows you to ‘test run’ shoes for a few days as long as you stay inside. I realized during training for my race that my shoes were starting to wear, so I bought a new pair of the exact model shoe. I know they’ve since changed models but I’ll definitely be sticking with Asics going forward.

[quote]Court wrote:
Christine wrote:

This happened to me last year when I was training for my marathon. It was so bad that it felt like someone was taking a sledgehammer to my knee the week before my race. My physio kicked the shit out of my IT bands so I could race, but since then I’ve regularly foam rolled without issues.

It took me a while to find a shoe that didn’t bother my feet. It helps that there’s a Running Room store near my place that allows you to ‘test run’ shoes for a few days as long as you stay inside. I realized during training for my race that my shoes were starting to wear, so I bought a new pair of the exact model shoe. I know they’ve since changed models but I’ll definitely be sticking with Asics going forward.[/quote]

Not sure why but girls I know seem to gravitate towards Asics. Interesting that that’s your brand too.

I crewed for an ultramarathon runner and he had 5 different pairs of shoes in the van. Two pairs that he’d rotate back and forth, two pairs that went up half sizes from his standard size, and a pair that had the toe boxes cut out of in case his feet got too swollen to keep in a shoe.

That’s some extreme stuff. Dang near crazy.