Snatches are Dangerous

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
you do snatches in a commercial gym???[/quote]

I do. a Golds gym as a matter of fact. I love my gym

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=895414

derek,
Thanks, I think. I don’t consciously plan the foot stomp, it just happens when I snatch.

Kliplemet,
Yep, I snatch in 24 hour. Snatches aren’t explicitly prohibited in my membership contract so I don’t see why not. Not the most conducive environment for explosive movements though. Have to be very careful not to hurt the clueless. See below.

Did one-handed snatches today and experienced more foolishness. Was into the third set and had already pulled the bar to knee height. A bright yellow blotch appeared suddenly in my peripheral vision so I dropped the bar. It was some guy in a yellow wifebeater walking in from the side to grab a pair of dimes. Nevermind that a big stack of dimes was on the weight tree just a few more steps away. Did my third set.

Added plates for my 4th. Got my hand on the bar and was about to stand when another guy stops about 2 feet behind and to my side. If I reached out I could have touched him. This guy was wearing Underarmor knockoffs and putting on his iPod. I couldn’t believe how long it took him to adjust the Velcro. Must have taken him 6 tries before he got the fit just right. Then he proceeds to scroll thru the 15,000 songs he has on it. Finally he left.

“local 24 hour gym”!!!
where is that? man that must be greeat!!

[quote]Ouster wrote:
derek,
Thanks, I think. I don’t consciously plan the foot stomp, it just happens when I snatch.

[/quote]

Yes, it was a compliment!

[quote]Ouster wrote:
derek,

Kliplemet,
Yep, I snatch in 24 hour. Snatches aren’t explicitly prohibited in my membership contract so I don’t see why not. Not the most conducive environment for explosive movements though. Have to be very careful not to hurt the clueless. See below.

Did one-handed snatches today and experienced more foolishness. Was into the third set and had already pulled the bar to knee height. A bright yellow blotch appeared suddenly in my peripheral vision so I dropped the bar. It was some guy in a yellow wifebeater walking in from the side to grab a pair of dimes. Nevermind that a big stack of dimes was on the weight tree just a few more steps away. Did my third set.

Added plates for my 4th. Got my hand on the bar and was about to stand when another guy stops about 2 feet behind and to my side. If I reached out I could have touched him. This guy was wearing Underarmor knockoffs and putting on his iPod. I couldn’t believe how long it took him to adjust the Velcro. Must have taken him 6 tries before he got the fit just right. Then he proceeds to scroll thru the 15,000 songs he has on it. Finally he left.
[/quote]

Just tell him to move.

[quote]zarathus wrote:

1. people who walk sideways without looking in our very crowded gym with weights

[/quote]
??? you workout at a gym populated by crab people I take it?

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:

[/quote]

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

[quote]derek wrote:
Ouster wrote:
derek,

Yes, it was a compliment!
[/quote]

There are different opinions regarding the usefulness of the foot stomp.

I stomp - loud. My coach believes that this is fine, at least at this early stage in my training, because it encourages an explosive pull and a fast squat under. So this is what I sticking with for now.

Another highly experienced coach in my gym has told me that I am too loud, and that a loud landing denotes that I have wasted energy my bringing my feet far off the ground rather than shuffling them out.

Watching the Ironmind tapes, I have observed that Botev, Khakiasvillis, and others use the ‘shuffle’ technique. I have also observed that they pull from their squat stance; that is, their feet are set wide during the pull, so they do not have to ‘jump them out’ during the squat under. Despite my height, I pull from a narrow, almost deadlift-width, stance, so I have to jump out.

What do you all think: What is your foot placement in the snatch? How much noise do you make?

If its an consolation, i had some middle aged buck nothing dude tell me as i finished my last set of cleans that “that shit doesn’t do anything and your waisting your time.” I almost laughed in his face because hommies arms were the size of my wrist. Before i could he lifted up his shirt and flashed his abs.

No shit. Im a pretty reasonable guy but after 5 sets of 5 i was already on fire. The dude walked away and i found out later he was in a car accident about a decade before and had a handfull of screws loose. Thats about the time i quit going to golds gym.

fuck me, has the day come when you cant snatch at a FKN GYM!!!

sumabeast,
“24 hour gym” refers to the 24 hour fitness commercial gym franchise. These gyms are common in left coast and Texas cities, less so on the east coast.

Ross Hunt,
I start the snatch with my feet in a conventional deadlift position (about shoulder width apart) then jump out. That explains the stomp.

I try, but I can’t do the stomp. My strength coach keeps telling me that I need to do the foot stomp and he has a valid explanation for it, I just can’t make the stomp sound.

I start with a normal “athletic stance” width and some times finish a few inches wider. I usually have to get a little wider on the catch because I have to oh squat it with a little bit wider stance than the “athletic stance” that I start with.

I love “power snaps”

[quote]Kir Dog wrote:
I try, but I can’t do the stomp. My strength coach keeps telling me that I need to do the foot stomp and he has a valid explanation for it, I just can’t make the stomp sound.

I start with a normal “athletic stance” width and some times finish a few inches wider. I usually have to get a little wider on the catch because I have to oh squat it with a little bit wider stance than the “athletic stance” that I start with.

I love “power snaps”[/quote]

For some reason, the stomp is always advocated by strength coaches, but I don’t see Olympic lifters do it. I don’t do the lifts, but it does make you wonder if they teach it because they think it makes it look explosive. I suppose if you’re not training for the Olympics it really doesn’t matter if you have perfect form though.

http://media.putfile.com/Ironmind_1993_Dimas

This video has been posted before, but whenever I need to consult the proper form for olympic lifts this is a definite go-to. He does stomp, but his feet don’t come too high off the ground. He also starts with his feet fairly close together.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:

For some reason, the stomp is always advocated by strength coaches, but I don’t see Olympic lifters do it. I don’t do the lifts, but it does make you wonder if they teach it because they think it makes it look explosive. I suppose if you’re not training for the Olympics it really doesn’t matter if you have perfect form though.

[/quote]

Perhaps it has to do with the amount of loading?

-Fireplug

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:

Perhaps it has to do with the amount of loading?

-Fireplug[/quote]

Nope…I have seen Oly lifters with good form “stomp” with very light weights. It’s technique.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
zarathus wrote:

1. people who walk sideways without looking in our very crowded gym with weights

[/quote]

That was awesome!!!

Kir Dog,

How do your pulling stance and your recovery stance compare to your stance for say, an oly back squat?

People have different ideas about constitutes an ‘athletic stance.’

cap’n’,

When I execute the squat under with great speed, I often stomp louder then I do when I move slower.

This certainly does not seem to be necessary, and it does not seem to have to do with load; Stefan Botev seems to be quieter snatching 195 kilos than I am snatching 45.

[quote]tjd772 wrote:
http://media.putfile.com/Ironmind_1993_Dimas

This video has been posted before, but whenever I need to consult the proper form for olympic lifts this is a definite go-to. He does stomp, but his feet don’t come too high off the ground. He also starts with his feet fairly close together.[/quote]

The problem is, he doesnt have great form. Dimas isnt exactly well known for his form. It works for him, but its not what beginners should look at when learning.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Kir Dog,

How do your pulling stance and your recovery stance compare to your stance for say, an oly back squat?

People have different ideas about constitutes an ‘athletic stance.’

[/quote]

My athletic stance is what I would do for a vertical jump, broad jump or box jump. It measures 28-29" on the outsides of the front of my feet. My oly squat is 34-35". I start with the 28-29" (what I consider an athletic stance) and I recover with my oly squat stance at 34-35". The width is shorter at the back of my feet because my toes point out a little. Just for reference, my pl squat width is 41-43".