Snatch Workout

[quote]peskyparker wrote:
Really impressive. Could I PM you for some advice? I’m a beginner in the sport of weightlifting and I’ve been working on setting up a 4 day split to suit my goals and I could use some expertise. Thanks.[/quote]

Sure. Although, I don’t see a LOT of OL stuff on here. Maybe have the conversation here so that all can read? Just a thought.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
peskyparker wrote:
Really impressive. Could I PM you for some advice? I’m a beginner in the sport of weightlifting and I’ve been working on setting up a 4 day split to suit my goals and I could use some expertise. Thanks.

Sure. Although, I don’t see a LOT of OL stuff on here. Maybe have the conversation here so that all can read? Just a thought. [/quote]

any advice on how to learn the squat snatch? my overhead squat is at 75Kg for 8…but my max snatch was an 80Kg. That was a power snatch, with very litte knee bend. When I was working my overhead squat, I first started doing it in my warm ups, and would throw it in whenever I wanted something no where close to maximal for lower body, but then it caught up to my snatch and just getting to the starting position started to actually have to count.

At first snatching 40Kg or so on an upper body day ment nothing…then as it got to 70and above, it messed with my recovery. So ya, long story short, I’ve tried some stuff to link the two, but with little success. Any ideas on how to self teach the full, or squat snatch?

[quote]suuuperdave wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
peskyparker wrote:
Really impressive. Could I PM you for some advice? I’m a beginner in the sport of weightlifting and I’ve been working on setting up a 4 day split to suit my goals and I could use some expertise. Thanks.

Sure. Although, I don’t see a LOT of OL stuff on here. Maybe have the conversation here so that all can read? Just a thought.

any advice on how to learn the squat snatch? my overhead squat is at 75Kg for 8…but my max snatch was an 80Kg. That was a power snatch, with very litte knee bend. When I was working my overhead squat, I first started doing it in my warm ups, and would throw it in whenever I wanted something no where close to maximal for lower body, but then it caught up to my snatch and just getting to the starting position started to actually have to count.

At first snatching 40Kg or so on an upper body day ment nothing…then as it got to 70and above, it messed with my recovery. So ya, long story short, I’ve tried some stuff to link the two, but with little success. Any ideas on how to self teach the full, or squat snatch?
[/quote]

i’ve always been able to convert my power snatch to squat snatch, simply catching the bar at the appropriate depth, be it a power snatch or in the low position. one thing you may want to try is ‘drop snatches’. hold the bar in the hang position and don’t finish the pull. just shrug your shoulders and give the bar a ‘pop’ (for lack of a better term) and drop under the weight. start with the bar and start working up.

i’ve always been able to convert my power snatch to squat snatch, simply catching the bar at the appropriate depth, be it a power snatch or in the low position. one thing you may want to try is ‘drop snatches’. hold the bar in the hang position and don’t finish the pull. just shrug your shoulders and give the bar a ‘pop’ (for lack of a better term) and drop under the weight. start with the bar and start working up. [/quote]

I may be misreading you, but isn’t that a snatch from the hang? I thought a drop snatch was with the bar on your back with a wide grip, then drop out from under it into a snatch position.

I can drop, but I can’t duck quick enough for a full snatch. Those are some damn good lifts.

-folly

[quote]folly wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
i’ve always been able to convert my power snatch to squat snatch, simply catching the bar at the appropriate depth, be it a power snatch or in the low position. one thing you may want to try is ‘drop snatches’. hold the bar in the hang position and don’t finish the pull. just shrug your shoulders and give the bar a ‘pop’ (for lack of a better term) and drop under the weight. start with the bar and start working up.

I may be misreading you, but isn’t that a snatch from the hang? I thought a drop snatch was with the bar on your back with a wide grip, then drop out from under it into a snatch position.

I can drop, but I can’t duck quick enough for a full snatch. Those are some damn good lifts.

-folly[/quote]

you are correct. i’ve done both. what i’m describing is a variation that my coach copied from the ‘drop clean’. seemed to help me move under the bar more quickly - which was a problem for me early on. i was pulling too long and not transitioning early enough from my pull to my move under the bar. consequently, my power snatch and my squat snatch were almost identical. this exercise - done with relatively light weight - helped me overcome that.

you are correct. i’ve done both. what i’m describing is a variation that my coach copied from the ‘drop clean’. seemed to help me move under the bar more quickly - which was a problem for me early on. i was pulling too long and not transitioning early enough from my pull to my move under the bar. consequently, my power snatch and my squat snatch were almost identical. this exercise - done with relatively light weight - helped me overcome that.[/quote]

Gotcha. I’ll try those when I start working in the oly lifts again. I use some of the assistance lifts consistently, but I vary the true oly lifts from cycle to cycle. I’m going to work them all back in after the first of the year. I need all the speed I can get.

Thanks!

-folly

Ragnarthehammer wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
I thought I share this because it’s a favorite workout of mine. One that I had not done in years. Basically, I start by doing reps in the power snatch then, when I am near limit move to the snatch, then when I miss, go to snatch pull, then when form goes to shit, move to snatch-grip deadlifts. It went like this (all weights in kilos):

Power Snatch

60 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 3
115 x 3
120 x 1
125 x 1
130 x miss (Squat snatch)

Snatch

130 x 1 (repeat of last set)
135 x 1
137 x 1
140 x 1

Snatch Pull

150 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 3
175 x 3
180 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 1

Snatch-Grip Deadlift

200 x 3
210 x 3
220 x 3
230 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
255 x 1
260 x miss

Ready for two days rest over Thanksgiving!

If all those weights are in kilos then that is one kick-butt workout. How old are you and how much do you weigh?

I’m 37. I weigh about 227 right now. Compete in 105. [/quote]

If you’re 37 and competing in the 105 or 105+ category, don’t forget you’re eligible to compete in the Masters’ division.

[quote]Ragnarthehammer wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
Ragnarthehammer wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
I thought I share this because it’s a favorite workout of mine. One that I had not done in years. Basically, I start by doing reps in the power snatch then, when I am near limit move to the snatch, then when I miss, go to snatch pull, then when form goes to shit, move to snatch-grip deadlifts. It went like this (all weights in kilos):

Power Snatch

60 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 3
115 x 3
120 x 1
125 x 1

Snatch

135 x 1
137 x 1
140 x 1

Snatch Pull

150 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 3
175 x 3
180 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 1

Snatch-Grip Deadlift

200 x 3
210 x 3
220 x 3
230 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
255 x 1
260 x miss

Ready for two days rest over Thanksgiving!

If all those weights are in kilos then that is one kick-butt workout. How old are you and how much do you weigh?

I’m 37. I weigh about 227 right now. Compete in 105.

If you’re 37 and competing in the 105 or 105+ category, don’t forget you’re eligible to compete in the Masters’ division.[/quote]

Yeah. I don’t want to make that concession yet, you know? A friend of mine lifted in the Masters Worlds last year and has been telling me how much fun it was, etc. A better facility than we’ve had at USAW Nationals and AO through the years. Problem is, I want take a few more swings in Men’s Open before I move to the Sr. Circuit.

whoa
i tried this today with about half the weight you used, killed me. good stuff man.

Very impressive!

A guy I saw at a comp a few days ago in England is the Masters 94Kg class champ. 120/170. 152.5/202.5 in his prime!

Amazing to see him do 105/145 so easily. He wasn’t pushing hard and the 145 looked RIDICULOUSLY easy it was scary. It was like me hauling on 80. Looked SO light.

Big numbers.

Hopefully I’ll be hitting your numbers in 3-5yrs :slight_smile: in the 85Kg class.

Koing

Power Snatch

60 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 3
115 x 3
120 x 1
125 x 1

Snatch

135 x 1
137 x 1
140 x 1

Snatch Pull

150 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 3
175 x 3
180 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 1

Snatch-Grip Deadlift

200 x 3
210 x 3
220 x 3
230 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
255 x 1
260 x miss

Ready for two days rest over Thanksgiving![/quote]

Very Nice. I like you. Make sex

NICE lifts Hack, yikes.

I recently wrote about this excellent approach to training here:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1416045

Power Snatch

60 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 3
115 x 3
120 x 1
125 x 1

Snatch

135 x 1
137 x 1
140 x 1

Snatch Pull

150 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 3
175 x 3
180 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 1

Snatch-Grip Deadlift

200 x 3
210 x 3
220 x 3
230 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
255 x 1
260 x miss

Ready for two days rest over Thanksgiving![/quote]

OH MY GOD!! CHARLES STALEY POSTED RIGHT AFTER I POSTED!! screams like a Kids on the block fan

STALEY!!!