T Nation

Snatch Workout

I thought I share this because it’s a favorite workout of mine. One that I had not done in years. Basically, I start by doing reps in the power snatch then, when I am near limit move to the snatch, then when I miss, go to snatch pull, then when form goes to shit, move to snatch-grip deadlifts. It went like this (all weights in kilos):

Power Snatch

60 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 3
115 x 3
120 x 1
125 x 1
130 x miss (Squat snatch)

Snatch

130 x 1 (repeat of last set)
135 x 1
137 x 1
140 x 1

Snatch Pull

150 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 3
175 x 3
180 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 1

Snatch-Grip Deadlift

200 x 3
210 x 3
220 x 3
230 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
255 x 1
260 x miss

Ready for two days rest over Thanksgiving!

I was excited when I read the title of this thread but then disappointed when I read what it was really about. I like to work the snatch in the bedroom personally.

meat

Thanks, I like the idea.

take care
Collin

You did a 500 lb. deadlift with a snatch grip after all of that work? That’s pretty impressive. You are a strong dude.

the 140kg squat snatch is more impressive. Good work.

[quote]juninho wrote:
the 140kg squat snatch is more impressive. Good work.[/quote]

Thanks. Trying to get back to top form (of three years ago) after a period in which I’ve focused less on the (Olympic) lifts.

255 kg is more a 560 DL

keep kickin’ ass

  1. Right. I’ve done 270. Odd in that my best conventional pull is only 290.

Great workout. Very similar to the way I do my pulling days, only I usually start with cleans, then high pulls, then regular DL. I’ll definitely start trying the same thing with snatch.

I usually have trouble with my grip endurance in this workout. I’m currently trying to build it up, but usually have to switch to straps somewhere during the high pull phase. I can lose the straps when I go to DL though, because I use the alternating pronated/supinated grip.

Do you find you have to resort to straps at some point in your workout? Also, is it possible to use an alternating grip effectively with snatch grip DL? I’ve never done heavy snatch grip DL, so I don’t know if an alternating grip for it is advisable, or even possible.

Agreed great w/o. High time I do one sort of like it just a pull variation.
start
upright rows
cleans
bo rows
stiff DL
DL
rack pulls
shrugs / supermax grip work
DIE
its killer.

[quote]beans wrote:
Great workout. Very similar to the way I do my pulling days, only I usually start with cleans, then high pulls, then regular DL. I’ll definitely start trying the same thing with snatch.

I usually have trouble with my grip endurance in this workout. I’m currently trying to build it up, but usually have to switch to straps somewhere during the high pull phase. I can lose the straps when I go to DL though, because I use the alternating pronated/supinated grip.

Do you find you have to resort to straps at some point in your workout? Also, is it possible to use an alternating grip effectively with snatch grip DL? I’ve never done heavy snatch grip DL, so I don’t know if an alternating grip for it is advisable, or even possible.[/quote]

I use straps for the pulls and the DLs. I use a standard over-hand grip for the snatch DLs, although I don’t hook-grip (obviously). Not sure how you’d swing an alternating grip. Doesn’t seem comfortable to me.

I use a similar progression for cleans, although not all the time. I’ll do this type of thing once in a great while because, well, it’s just such a ball-buster, ESPECIALLY with cleans. The poundages are greater and the stress on my back is hard to recover from. Also seems to fry my CNS to a greater degree.

I’m very technically proficient in the clean, not so much in the snatch. I find my form breaks down before I reach my limit weights in the power/squat snatch. So I think I end up taxing myself less in this workout for that reason. Lack of good form just drives my poundages down.

My standard workout is one or both lifts, a pull and/or press, and some form of squatting. So this is a kind of routine buster for me.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
I thought I share this because it’s a favorite workout of mine. One that I had not done in years. Basically, I start by doing reps in the power snatch then, when I am near limit move to the snatch, then when I miss, go to snatch pull, then when form goes to shit, move to snatch-grip deadlifts. It went like this (all weights in kilos):

Power Snatch

60 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 3
115 x 3
120 x 1
125 x 1
130 x miss (Squat snatch)

Snatch

130 x 1 (repeat of last set)
135 x 1
137 x 1
140 x 1

Snatch Pull

150 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 3
175 x 3
180 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 1

Snatch-Grip Deadlift

200 x 3
210 x 3
220 x 3
230 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
255 x 1
260 x miss

Ready for two days rest over Thanksgiving![/quote]

If all those weights are in kilos then that is one kick-butt workout. How old are you and how much do you weigh?

[quote]Ragnarthehammer wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
I thought I share this because it’s a favorite workout of mine. One that I had not done in years. Basically, I start by doing reps in the power snatch then, when I am near limit move to the snatch, then when I miss, go to snatch pull, then when form goes to shit, move to snatch-grip deadlifts. It went like this (all weights in kilos):

Power Snatch

60 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 3
115 x 3
120 x 1
125 x 1
130 x miss (Squat snatch)

Snatch

130 x 1 (repeat of last set)
135 x 1
137 x 1
140 x 1

Snatch Pull

150 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 3
175 x 3
180 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 1

Snatch-Grip Deadlift

200 x 3
210 x 3
220 x 3
230 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
255 x 1
260 x miss

Ready for two days rest over Thanksgiving!

If all those weights are in kilos then that is one kick-butt workout. How old are you and how much do you weigh?[/quote]

I’m 37. I weigh about 227 right now. Compete in 105.

Hmmm I’m dropping down to the 105’s…our snatches (ha) are pretty similar…whats your C&J?

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Hmmm I’m dropping down to the 105’s…our snatches (ha) are pretty similar…whats your C&J?

[/quote]

around 172-175. i’d like to get 182.5 in my next meet…whenver that is. i haven’t competed in about 3 years.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
beans wrote:
Great workout. Very similar to the way I do my pulling days, only I usually start with cleans, then high pulls, then regular DL. I’ll definitely start trying the same thing with snatch.

I usually have trouble with my grip endurance in this workout. I’m currently trying to build it up, but usually have to switch to straps somewhere during the high pull phase. I can lose the straps when I go to DL though, because I use the alternating pronated/supinated grip.

Do you find you have to resort to straps at some point in your workout? Also, is it possible to use an alternating grip effectively with snatch grip DL? I’ve never done heavy snatch grip DL, so I don’t know if an alternating grip for it is advisable, or even possible.

I use straps for the pulls and the DLs. I use a standard over-hand grip for the snatch DLs, although I don’t hook-grip (obviously). Not sure how you’d swing an alternating grip. Doesn’t seem comfortable to me.

I use a similar progression for cleans, although not all the time. I’ll do this type of thing once in a great while because, well, it’s just such a ball-buster, ESPECIALLY with cleans. The poundages are greater and the stress on my back is hard to recover from. Also seems to fry my CNS to a greater degree.

I’m very technically proficient in the clean, not so much in the snatch. I find my form breaks down before I reach my limit weights in the power/squat snatch. So I think I end up taxing myself less in this workout for that reason. Lack of good form just drives my poundages down.

My standard workout is one or both lifts, a pull and/or press, and some form of squatting. So this is a kind of routine buster for me. [/quote]

Thanks for the thoughts. I can see I’m going to have to add more straps in to really get more benefits for my back. I’ve just been so hesitant because I never wanted my poundages to go up faster than my grip could handle. But my posterior chain needs some more stimulus than my grip can manage.

You’re right, these are killer workouts. I usually do the same things as you, a pulling day capped off by some form of DL and rows/pullups, and then a second day starting with another Oly followed by some form of squats and some pushing exercise.

These are tough workouts. I usually end up doing each of these about once a week, so two heavy lifting days a week. I’ll have a third day in the week that’s usually some kind of sprinting/hill running/plyos and core work. Those three workouts I’ll do in a 5-7 day period and then start over, depending on the business of my schedule.

How often do you do each of your workouts?

What kind of rest interval do you take between sets and exercises for your snatch workout?

Really impressive. Could I PM you for some advice? I’m a beginner in the sport of weightlifting and I’ve been working on setting up a 4 day split to suit my goals and I could use some expertise. Thanks.

[quote]beans wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
beans wrote:
Great workout. Very similar to the way I do my pulling days, only I usually start with cleans, then high pulls, then regular DL. I’ll definitely start trying the same thing with snatch.

I usually have trouble with my grip endurance in this workout. I’m currently trying to build it up, but usually have to switch to straps somewhere during the high pull phase. I can lose the straps when I go to DL though, because I use the alternating pronated/supinated grip.

Do you find you have to resort to straps at some point in your workout? Also, is it possible to use an alternating grip effectively with snatch grip DL? I’ve never done heavy snatch grip DL, so I don’t know if an alternating grip for it is advisable, or even possible.

I use straps for the pulls and the DLs. I use a standard over-hand grip for the snatch DLs, although I don’t hook-grip (obviously). Not sure how you’d swing an alternating grip. Doesn’t seem comfortable to me.

I use a similar progression for cleans, although not all the time. I’ll do this type of thing once in a great while because, well, it’s just such a ball-buster, ESPECIALLY with cleans. The poundages are greater and the stress on my back is hard to recover from. Also seems to fry my CNS to a greater degree.

I’m very technically proficient in the clean, not so much in the snatch. I find my form breaks down before I reach my limit weights in the power/squat snatch. So I think I end up taxing myself less in this workout for that reason. Lack of good form just drives my poundages down.

My standard workout is one or both lifts, a pull and/or press, and some form of squatting. So this is a kind of routine buster for me.

Thanks for the thoughts. I can see I’m going to have to add more straps in to really get more benefits for my back. I’ve just been so hesitant because I never wanted my poundages to go up faster than my grip could handle. But my posterior chain needs some more stimulus than my grip can manage.

You’re right, these are killer workouts. I usually do the same things as you, a pulling day capped off by some form of DL and rows/pullups, and then a second day starting with another Oly followed by some form of squats and some pushing exercise.

These are tough workouts. I usually end up doing each of these about once a week, so two heavy lifting days a week. I’ll have a third day in the week that’s usually some kind of sprinting/hill running/plyos and core work. Those three workouts I’ll do in a 5-7 day period and then start over, depending on the business of my schedule.

How often do you do each of your workouts?
[/quote]

I’ll only do a pull workout like THIS once every few months. I normally do pulls a few times a week (snatch/clean), heavy deadlifting every other week. Squats (front and back…and some box) twice a week, sometimes three.

[quote]gcookie6 wrote:
What kind of rest interval do you take between sets and exercises for your snatch workout?[/quote]

Whatever I need, really. Longer as the weights get heavier. I’d guess no longer than 3 or 4 mintues, though. 30 seconds, maybe, for my lighter/warm-up sets.