Snatch Grip/Technique?

hey

when i snatch… i clean the bar to about just above my head and then drive it above my head with my arms… all in one movement. no 2nd jerk or leg drive.

i also use a grip similiar to the one you’d use when C&J

is this still legitamatly a snatch?

Cheers
Scott

I’m having a hard time visualizing exactly what it is you do. But I would say no because of any type of arm drive.

That would be considered a close grip “muscle snatch”.

If you mean legitimate as in if it would pass in a competition, then no.

cheers for the replys.

whats the advantages of the snatch over what i do? are their any advantages of with what i do?

i pretty much came up with this one day in the gym a few years ago.

A snatch is a leg drive movement. The only time you should use your arms is to pull yourself down under the bar to the bottom position. Your arms are just hooks till then.

Think of it as jumping with weights. You impart your momentum to the bar as you jump and it goes upward while you pull your self downward.

With lighter weights you will actually jump a little but as the weight gets heavy you will just slide your feet out.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
cheers for the replys.

whats the advantages of the snatch over what i do? are their any advantages of with what i do?

i pretty much came up with this one day in the gym a few years ago.

[/quote]

Its kind of hard to answer that question because your doing some kind of arm / shoulder movement. Different muscles and different movement. It would be like comparing pitching a baseball to benchpress

The snatch is a very athletic movement requiring a ton of coordination, explosive strength, and technique. I think what you are doing is more of a strength excersise for the arms and shoulders.

thanks. im going to go right back to just the bar and learn the snatch properly…

i find the snatch squat tricky atm. i think i need more mobility which will be a good improvement!

cheers

Start with a broomstick and then move to na empty bar. Go to http://www.mikesgym.org

TNT

cheers TNT.

it seems i was doing everything wrong and just horseing the bar skywards.

cheers
Scott

Also check out the youtube videos that Tracey Fober from Iron Maven has. Either go to her site; http://www.ironmaven.net or go to youtube and search “ironmaven”. She uses Dartfish to analyze the lifts.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
Also check out the youtube videos that Tracey Fober from Iron Maven has. Either go to her site; http://www.ironmaven.net or go to youtube and search “ironmaven”. She uses Dartfish to analyze the lifts.

TNT[/quote]

Thats a fasinating bunch of videos awesome link man. Thank you.

thanks. im going to go right back to just the bar and learn the snatch properly…

i find the snatch squat tricky atm. i think i need more mobility which will be a good improvement!

cheers
[/quote]

Once you learn the lifts you will be hooked on oly lifting. Takes a while to learn them well though. If you can manage a BW snatch thats your first real milestone.

that will take a while as i weigh 130kg and can just about clean and press 90kg. :stuck_out_tongue:

but we will see. first 2 goals are a BW bench and 2xBW Deadlift.

Scott

that will take a while as i weigh 130kg and can just about clean and press 90kg. :stuck_out_tongue:

but we will see. first 2 goals are a BW bench and 2xBW Deadlift.

Scott[/quote]

If you can find a coach you can get there much faster. The lifts are very difficult to learn by yourself. IF you are serious about it you will have to have a coach. Oly lifting is a ton of fun and there is awesome sportsmanship at the meets. I have had a cool time with it.