T Nation

Snatch Grip Deadlifts

Whats everyone's opinion on them?

Of course they should be mixed in with conventional and or sumo pulls... but I was thinking. A wider grip makes you bend down more to grab the bar which would increase range of motion, and most people say snatch grip (anything) will add alot of mass to your upper back. So, between those two, could it be a "superior" for lack of a better term, form of the deadlift.

The only thing I can see making it not be "superior" would be having to use a little bit less weight (or for me, at least) and less weight = less muscle stimulation.

Thoughts?

All the kids I train HATE them big time. I throw them in about once every 3 months. They hate them worse than platform DLs. Great exercise.

TNT

I notice a pretty severe decrease in weight becuase of the double overhand grip. How far apart should ones hands be spaced when deadlifting?

Useful every now and then, I wouldn't do it all the time.

I'm pretty sure deadlifting heavier with a closer grip would add plenty of mass to one's upper back.

Overall they're pretty cool.

EDIT: And my grip is usually on the edges of the smooth part, my index on my hand facing in is on the edge of the smooth with most of the hand on the rough.

It's as close as I can get it while not getting in the way of leg movement.

Should one use a hook grip, or is it just left to personal preference?

Hook grip most definitely!!! Helps me to use heavier weights but does hurt like hell if your thumbs aren't conditioned/callused already.

I like to do these. My grip is about an inch from the collars (is that what the outer part is called?). I like to use snatch grip deads as a supplimentary lift. I feel that it helps me with my squats, my deads, my lower back and snatches.

I squat very low and I like to have power at the bottom.

If I'm at a point where I'm at a plateau in my conventional deads and I can pull a certain weight to completion, but I add 5 lbs and I can't even budge the weight off the floor then I'll incorporate snatch grip deads for a few weeks.

I feel that snatch grip deads really help my lower back strength. Since I'm dropping lower to pick up the weight I have to not only squat lower, but angle my back a little lower to parallel to the ground as opposed to more upright. That also helps me concentrate on not rounding my back which I concetrate on very much since I had an injury to a disc and I'm susceptable now.

Doing snatch grip deads also gives me confidence when snatching. It makes the first pull soooo easy and I can focus my thoughts, power and form on the second pull as I'm not wasting energy on the first pull.

Just some thoughts.

How do I do a hook grip? I once trained with a lifter that competes and he told me that I should do it because once I start snatching heavier weights I'll need to use the hook grip. I can't fully remember his reasoning, it was either it's easier, or I won't be able to hold onto the weight, or I'll be putting my wrist at risk for an injury.

I wish I would have just let him teach me the lift. At the time I was new to snatching.

Any pictures?

I forgot to mention. Sometimes I get crazy and do snatch grip deads while standing on a box. Do you think that it's effective? Anyone else do this? Am I a moron for doing these every so often?

Personally, I dont beleive in the hook grip. I dont like straps either. My thinking is that it really deteriorates the functionality of your strength. If you can't hold on to something properly in the gym, then all those muscles are for nothing. That is not really an issue for those who don't need to use their strength outside of the gym

Maybe I'm confused as to what a hook grip is. How is using a hook grip not utilizing your own strength? Straps I agree with, but a hook grip doesn't involve any apparatus. Could you explain a little deeper?

SN-grip deadlifts from a deficit are the sexiest of all deadlifts. I do them for breakfast. You should too.
-k

It does use your own grip, but you use it in such a way that you would probably never use it outside of the gym, if you understand my meaning.

In much the same way as you'd never use a true squat position outside of the gym?

If you don't OL, there probably isn't a need to use a hook grip. But when you are say..snatching..you don't want to have a death grip on the bar. It'll keep you from holding the position in a deep squat snatch.

I dont feel that the hook grip allows the muscles of the forearms to fully develop in proportion to the other muscles being used. A hook grip limits the development of the forearm muscles, I Feel. I could be wrong. I just dont seem to think that when you are using a 48" pipe wrench, or swinging a sledge that your strength gained from the hook grip will be as relative to what you need to do. It would be rather embarrising to have all those muscles, but not be able to tranfer that strength becuase part of your pulling chain is weak.

I can see what you are getting at. Although I use a hook grip for OL (because I don't want to toss the weight while jumping under a clean or snatch) when I do SLDs and clean deads I use a regular overhand grip until I feel I can't any longer. Then I use a hook grip, or straps if I am doing clean/snatch pulls. If I can do snatch deads with a hook grip, then when I do snatches the weight will be a lot easier to hold in the hook grip.

Yes, how embarassing indeed.

Reading this conversation, I am convinced that one person is calling a alternating grip a hook grip.

I've used straps in the past when I do them. I was using them to add more upper back emphases into my deads. If you are doing them soley to improve your grip for your snatch than I can see using a regular or hook grip, but I can't see that doing anything valuable for you in terms of added ROM for your deadlift or upper back focus. The weight will not be heavy enough.