T Nation

Snatch Grip Deadlifts

@CT:

Would there be any benefit to continuing a ramp of SGHP from floor to SGLP and then just a SG DL?

I am usually 5:1 SGHP from blocks:from floor. Periodically, I like to see where I’m at with the high pull from the floor, so 1 WO out of 6.

In that WO from the floor, what if you ramp to SGHP, SGLP then SGDL then last layer of pulls, explosive with 90% of your best SGHP?

Stupid idea?

Thanks,
M

Not a stupid idea, but SGDL do not lend themselves to max ramps because it is very easy to break perfect form while lifting heavier weights. A properly done SGDL has you use the same mechanics as you would during a snatch: hips low, hips raising at the same speed as shoulders until bar reaches knees, pulling the bar toward you brushing the tights. If you try to go “as heavy as you can” you will likely turn it into a “regular deadlift with a wide grip” in which the hips raise fast during the first pull and the bar stays too far away from the body. This is teachning bads habits and will do more harm than good.

That layering would work, if you kept the SGDL no higher than 110% of your max low pull, do 3 sets with that weight just to potentiate the nervous system before hitting the 90% high pulls.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Not a stupid idea, but SGDL do not lend themselves to max ramps because it is very easy to break perfect form while lifting heavier weights. A properly done SGDL has you use the same mechanics as you would during a snatch: hips low, hips raising at the same speed as shoulders until bar reaches knees, pulling the bar toward you brushing the tights. If you try to go “as heavy as you can” you will likely turn it into a “regular deadlift with a wide grip” in which the hips raise fast during the first pull and the bar stays too far away from the body. This is teachning bads habits and will do more harm than good.

That layering would work, if you kept the SGDL no higher than 110% of your max low pull, do 3 sets with that weight just to potentiate the nervous system before hitting the 90% high pulls.[/quote]

Thanks, Coach - that is an EXCELLENT clarification - especially for me…as you well know :frowning: