Snatch Grip Deadlift

Do you think that a snatch grip deadlift done from a plattform can be a good substitute for the squat?

No. It is a fanastic exercise that hammers the legs and glutes but in no way is it a squat substitute.

There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat.

EDIT

Stole that.

I think trap bar deadlifts may be the best substitute for BB squats

But couldn’t it be a somewhat acceptable substitute? At the moment I’m doing zercher squats but i really hate them lol.

Why can’t you do squats? No rack?

Front squats are a decent substitute.

Yeah no rack at the moment. If I did front squats I would be limited by the amount of weight I can clean. Are they still worth doing? (in a 3x5 routine)

How much do you clean? What’s your best squat and front squat?

Back when I lifted in the snow I cleaned the weight for front squats. I’d only squatted 243 before, and front squatting 135 wasn’t pretty hard for me. I got my (poorly cleaned) front squat up to 200 for a few solid reps and when I joined a gym I got a 397 squat in one month and a 308 front squat in three months. Nothing amazing, but decent given the fact that I only had a bar and some plates.

So I’d suggest front squatting since they give you direct carryover to squatting. Snatch grip deficit deads don’t necessarily do that.

Got my clean up a bit too.

just do hack squats with the barbell for now.

The most I have power cleaned is 135. Front squatting that weight seems pretty easy.

can you make your own rack? buy cheap squat stands?

Not enough space in the appartment. I go to a gym whithout any racks. I will try to convince the owner to get one or to find another but in the meantime i need a decent substitute for the squat.

[quote]ilyan93 wrote:
Not enough space in the appartment. I go to a gym whithout any racks. I will try to convince the owner to get one or to find another but in the meantime i need a decent substitute for the squat. [/quote]

leg press

Should i front squat the weight i power clean or just sgdl from a deficit instead?

Neither 135lb front squats nor deficit deadlifts will be better for leg mass than the leg press.

[quote]plateau wrote:
I think trap bar deadlifts may be the best substitute for BB squats[/quote]

Agreed Trap bar dead lift combines the best of a squat and a deadlift and is safer for your lower back. ALso there is plenty of carry over to full back and front squat.

Leg press will add mass if that is the only thing you are looking for.

It may not be functional and some can be hard on the knees for some people, but do you have access to a hack squat or v-squat machine?

Could be ok substitutes depending on your goals, this is the BB forum so I’m assuming big legs over “functional muscle”.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Neither 135lb front squats nor deficit deadlifts will be better for leg mass than the leg press. [/quote]
Agreed

[quote]ilyan93 wrote:
Not enough space in the appartment. I go to a gym whithout any racks. I will try to convince the owner to get one or to find another but in the meantime i need a decent substitute for the squat. [/quote]

not enough space for a rack? http://www.google.com/search?q=squat+stands+buckets&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=5TgHT-HPEubh0QH22-CDAg&biw=1600&bih=770&sei=8zgHT4zKL8Hv0gGtqcDAAg Impossible. :slight_smile:

In fact, some of those you could even set up in your gym. (And then you’ll be the crazy guy who brings a bunch of milk crates to the gym!)

http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Olympic-Weights/Specialty-Bars/Trap-Bar-for-Sale?zenid=b9387615f20485f5b40d920b0bf16939

Pretty cheap option, and Trap Bar Deads are pretty awesome.