Snatch Form?

I have been wanting to add snatch’s into my lifting routine. My only problem is i am having trouble figuring out the correct form. I was wondering if anyone know’s of a good article off hand that explains the form. Or if you knew of a video that showed slowly how to snatch that would help tremendously too.

Thanks
EN

I would read the series by Staley about snatching, then the snatch article by Thibs.

Staley wrote about the snatch grip jump drill, where you hold the bar wide as in the snatch and jump for height with it, while shrugging it at the top. You can sort of feel how the bar would fly up over your head if you let your elbows “soften”.

Basically, I would reccomend playing with the empty oly bar until you feel comfortable with sticking some weight on it. Probably the best thing for my technique on the oly lifts has been flipping railroad ties end for end. Because of the way you grip it underneath it to lift it off the ground, you have to change your grip to push it over. If you do this by pulling it up and then “popping” underneath it at chest level, I feel like it teaches how to catch the weight in snatches and cleans. For me anyway…

Don’t forget the triple extension either, ankles, knees and hips. If I get the ankle extension, I feel like the other two follow suit.

Just my observations, I’m by no means an oly lift expert. I’m kind of in the same boat, self taught on the oly lifts, stay light until you feel comfident then grease that groove.

-Conor

[quote]conorh wrote:
I would read the series by Staley about snatching, then the snatch article by Thibs.

Staley wrote about the snatch grip jump drill, where you hold the bar wide as in the snatch and jump for height with it, while shrugging it at the top. You can sort of feel how the bar would fly up over your head if you let your elbows “soften”.

Basically, I would reccomend playing with the empty oly bar until you feel comfortable with sticking some weight on it. Probably the best thing for my technique on the oly lifts has been flipping railroad ties end for end. Because of the way you grip it underneath it to lift it off the ground, you have to change your grip to push it over. If you do this by pulling it up and then “popping” underneath it at chest level, I feel like it teaches how to catch the weight in snatches and cleans. For me anyway…

Don’t forget the triple extension either, ankles, knees and hips. If I get the ankle extension, I feel like the other two follow suit.

Just my observations, I’m by no means an oly lift expert. I’m kind of in the same boat, self taught on the oly lifts, stay light until you feel comfident then grease that groove.

-Conor[/quote]

Solid advice here from Conor. I would also go to Dan John’s website

Heaps of stuff on there to help you out. Also, try getting hold of Dan on prime time. I’ve been doing them myself for only the past month or so and going light at the start and working on technique is the key. That way if you “lose” the bar it won’t cause much damage if dropped or you might be able to recover before you do drop it! The jump snatch drill is very valuable to help get the feel of how you should shrug the weight up. Do it a few times and then try softening the elobows, it should fly up over your head.

Also, work on overhead squats to get your shoulder flexibility and balance in order.

Here’s a pretty decent vid of the power snatch:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercisevideos/Power%20Snatch.mpg

Note to mods, Phoenix88 had a bear of a time with me last night trying to get this posted, between some problems on that end and my forgetting the link. Hope this straightens it out and thanks for yall’s patience!

Eric486

Look for the book and companion DVD “Explosive Lifting For Sports” by Harvey Newton. You can find it at this web site:

http://www.fdzine.com/olympiclifter/index.html

Somehow I thought I might see some pictures of girls. Is that all you guys talk about is lifting, Jeez.

j/k

V

[quote]conorh wrote:

Basically, I would reccomend playing
with the empty oly bar until you feel comfortable with sticking some weight on it. Probably the best thing for my technique on the oly lifts has been flipping railroad ties end for end. Because of the way you grip it underneath it to lift it off the ground, you have to change your grip to push it over. If you do this by pulling it up and then “popping” underneath it at chest level, I feel like it teaches how to catch the weight in snatches and cleans. For me anyway…

-Conor[/quote]

Thanks a lot…the series by Staley and i think it is going to help a lot. And i’ll keep in mind to use the lighter weights. I don’t want to go heavy and hurt myself until i’m ready.

EN

[quote]bg100 wrote:

Solid advice here from Conor. I would also go to Dan John’s website

Heaps of stuff on there to help you out. Also, try getting hold of Dan on prime time. I’ve been doing them myself for only the past month or so and going light at the start and working on technique is the key. That way if you “lose” the bar it won’t cause much damage if dropped or you might be able to recover before you do drop it! The jump snatch drill is very valuable to help get the feel of how you should shrug the weight up. Do it a few times and then try softening the elobows, it should fly up over your head.

Also, work on overhead squats to get your shoulder flexibility and balance in order.

[/quote]

Thanks a lot. I started doing overhead squats a few weeks ago, so my shoulder flexibility and balance are doing pretty good. And thanks for the website, there is a ton of info on there that i’m sure will help.

[quote]conorh wrote:
Here’s a pretty decent vid of the power snatch:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercisevideos/Power%20Snatch.mpg

Note to mods, Phoenix88 had a bear of a time with me last night trying to get this posted, between some problems on that end and my forgetting the link. Hope this straightens it out and thanks for yall’s patience!
[/quote]

Great video. That helps me see the different steps of the power snatch put together very nicely.

EN

[quote]adjudicator wrote:
Eric486

Look for the book and companion DVD “Explosive Lifting For Sports” by Harvey Newton. You can find it at this web site:

http://www.fdzine.com/olympiclifter/index.html[/quote]

If i had to extra funds i’d buy that book and DVD for sure, but since i’m a college student with very limited funds that might have to wait for a while. Thanks for the help though.

EN

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1114818272910.green_camel.jpg

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Somehow I thought I might see some pictures of girls. Is that all you guys talk about is lifting, Jeez.

j/k

V[/quote]

Is this better for you??

A link to a video on was posted.

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

I just have to add that there is a whole page on that site that is dedicated to the OLs and assistance exercises, located here:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercisevideos/Weightlifting%20Movements%20Page/Weightlifting%20Movements.htm

[quote]eric486 wrote:
Vegita wrote:

j/k

V

Is this better for you??[/quote]

That is one serious Ninja Boot!

Good topic, I just started power snatches last week. Also, starting w/ practically no weight to get the form down. Went pretty well, and are a fun time.