T Nation

Snatch Form Critique

Ok, so here's two attempts at 135 lbs. Body weight is about 145. I did these after finished deadlifting and grip work (1 single w/o straps @ ~92% and then 1x3 w/ straps at the same weight; grip was holding 205 clean grip as long as possible).

I was planning on just doing light weight to practice, but I got carried away and did this after doing 3 or 4 snatch high pulls with it. By the way, I waited a minute or so before trying again, I just edited out me walking around.

What do you see wrong with the first attempt? Second? What cues or things would you recommend to improve/fix it?

Watching it in slower motion I noticed my hips are rising first, but I don't know if that is because it's lower than I'm using to starting off the floor. Also, the bar is out of front of me too much I think (even before the top part).

Second one I don't know what happened. I think I was trying to move forward under the bar or something and ended up just hitting myself in the forehead. Yes, embarassing and goofy looking. I hope to fix my form so I don't ever have to deal with the shame of that again (or getting injured potentially).

Judging by the first attempt I'm confident that I SHOULD be able to snatch 135 right now, maybe a little bit more, but my technique is holding me back.

Two major things.

1. Yes your hips are rising first. You have the right idea in that you want to push your knees back and out during the first pull, but you want to do this while keeping the hips down and chest up (the actual angle of the back during the first pull is relative to each lifter). One drill to do this is the snatch pull-to-knee.

Just lift the bar to your knee, for sets of 4-5, focusing on: heels on the floor, butt down, chest up, knees back/out to the side. When you do this properly, the barbell should not go straight up, it should actually go slightly backwards since you are shifting your weight backwards. A proper first pull will set you up for a proper second pull.

1. You are cutting the 2nd pull short, you are coming up on your heels too fast. This is not letting you get all of the force from your hips, and you will catch the snatch forward. Try to be patient with the bar. By the time the barbell reaches your pockets, your heels should still be on the floor. However this is more important in the snatch then it is the clean and jerk.

Also, get some Oly shoes.

For people with hip extension problems in that video would you recommend power shrugs?

By cutting the second pull short you mean I'm also not getting the hips fully extended?

I have Olympic shoes, but I wasn't wearing them since I wasn't planning on doing them that day.

Why did I hit myself in the head? Trying to duck under the bar instead of "pulling" myself under it?

By cutting the second pull short you mean I'm also not getting the hips fully extended?

I have Olympic shoes, but I wasn't wearing them since I wasn't planning on doing them that day.

Why did I hit myself in the head? Trying to duck under the bar instead of "pulling" myself under it?

Wookie - I strongly recommend you go back to drilling positions. We teach the lifts from the top, down. I posted some videos of our snatch progression on the California Strength site. Coach Pendlay does a great job of breaking down the lift. Remember....

1. Positions
  2. Tempo
  3. Speed
  4. Weight

I know it sounds like common sense, but I see far too many people rush past basic fundamentals. Believe me... they all pay for it later.

-dcs

link
http://calstrengthacademy.com/?page_id=1493

Thanks for that link, that looks really helpful. Is there a similar video for the clean and jerk? I'd like to be able to to teach the lifts to myself so I can get to training the lifts alongside the other "big" lifts. Problem is how would I know when I'm ready to progress to the next step of the learning progression? I'm thinking realistically the only thing I can do to really learn them is to ask the person around here that can help me (hut that's going to cost money I don't really want to spend) or drive an hour and a half once a week to the nearest club and hope they don't charge there for helping me get my form down. I might be able to increase the lifts some by getting generally stronger but I know that technique is going to help a lot (as well as keeping me from injuring myself (knee,head, etc)) so I'm gonna have to do something.

Thanks

You should be able to do pretty well by looking at those videos and taking videos of yourself and comparing, and making sure you are doing about the same thing those guys are doing.