Snatch = External Rotators?

Are snatch grip high pulls an effective external rotator exercise? I like them, but I’m interested in whether they directly target the external rotators.

are you asking what the targetting muscle of the snatch is, or do you just mean if they get proper stimulation from high pulls?

[quote]brian.m wrote:
are you asking what the targetting muscle of the snatch is, or do you just mean if they get proper stimulation from high pulls?[/quote]

The second-do snatch high pulls effectively work the external rotators.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
The second-do snatch high pulls effectively work the external rotators.
[/quote]

A little - they get some load, but little ROM if we’re using the term high pull the same - bar up to shoulderish height?

I’d still do some directed rotator work even when doing high pulls. Many of the old-school weightlifting coaches are/were fond of windmills, though any will do.

-Dan

I would have thought there should be NO stress on the exteranal rotators with high pulls.

The bar basically gets up there thru triple extenston of the knees, hips and traps. There’s no pulling with the arms involved. Or at least there shouldn’t be.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I would have thought there should be NO stress on the exteranal rotators with high pulls.

The bar basically gets up there thru triple extenston of the knees, hips and traps. There’s no pulling with the arms involved. Or at least there shouldn’t be.[/quote]

Right on.
If you observed the movement of the humerus throughout a snatch, it goes through external rotation, but there really isn’t any active contraction of those muscles. The triple extension supplies the momentum to get the bar moving.

I suppose the rotator cuff has a role in stabilizing the bar once it is overhead, but it is no substitute for full range movements of external rotation.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

The bar basically gets up there thru triple extenston of the knees, hips and traps. [/quote]

Triple extension of ankles, knees and hip. The trapezius has no joint to extend or flex.

Wondered if someone was going to point that out.

ahhaa, overlooked that!
Triple ext of the hips, knees, and ankles.

The traps do elevate the scapula though, that gives the bar the ‘pop’ at the top of the pull.

Hhahaha ok… you got me!