T Nation

Snatch DL: Lower Traps, Supinated Grip?

Hi Thib, this is my first post on T-Nation. In advance, sorry for my english if it’s bad.

I’ve always done ring inverted rows as my main lower/middle trap exercise. It’s my favourite, especialy if I don’t elevate my legs - the angle is better for lower traps.

Now I’m gonna switch the inv. rows for a while with the snatch grip deadlift.

Question 1.
If the snatch dl is good for lower traps? The wider grip increases tension on trap but are the forces on respective parts of this muscle the same or not the same as in clean dl (in clean dl I develop mainly the upper half of trap)?
Discount the angle of the torso.

Question 2.
Is it good idea to do snatch dl with supinated grip and more external rotation?

Snatch-grio DL with a supinated grip is a very bad idea… a real snatch grip width, with a supinated grip is very hard to get into and is very weak.

Dos the SGDL hit the lower traps? If you set-up properly they can be involved isometrically to maintain the proper torso position. The key in the starting position is contracting the mid-back imagine holding a pencil between your shoulder blades while tilting/rocking your chest up and pulling your shoulders down.

If you do that, the whole mid back will be involved.

BTW doing SGDL primarily to hit the lower traps sounds as bad as saying that you are doing power snatch as a rear delt movement. This doesn’t mean that the SGDL isn’t a good movement (it’s a great movement) but do it for the right reason: to get a good overall back development and leg stimulation.

I never liked when people talk about hitting one specific muscle, especially a very minor one.

Thanks a lot.

Yes I always retract and depress scapula that I could hold a pencil. Of course I know that SGDL is for overall back development, I just wanted to know if whole traps segments are working on the same level or after weeks of doing it there will be more development in the upper.

I tried to do supinated SGDL and it’s feel good to me but I didn’t go heavy. Do you mean that the grip is weaker to pronated or this position makes some muscles in mechanical disadvantage?

[quote]tonaryzu wrote:
Thanks a lot.

Yes I always retract and depress scapula that I could hold a pencil. Of course I know that SGDL is for overall back development, I just wanted to know if whole traps segments are working on the same level or after weeks of doing it there will be more development in the upper.

I tried to do supinated SGDL and it’s feel good to me but I didn’t go heavy. Do you mean that the grip is weaker to pronated or this position makes some muscles in mechanical disadvantage?

[/quote]

In a true snatch-width grip the 2 fingers closer to the end of the bar are generally in a weak position du to the angle. With a regular snatch-grip it doesn’t matter much since the 2 strongest fingers are in a decent position while the pinky, which is not that important for grip strength, is the one that gets affected. With a supinated grip you put the 2 most important fibers in a weak position.

I have personally never done supinated-grip SGDL, never saw anybody do them and will never recommend them to anybody… use them if you want, but do so against my recommendation.