Snatch Critique Wanted - Beginning Olympic Lifter

Hey all:

I’ve just been introduced to the Olympic Lifts (as of a couple weeks ago) and I’m loving them! I don’t have a coach as yet (looking for one), so in the meantime I’ve been doing my own thing, and watching youtube videos of the pro’s, etc.

Anyway, today I video’d a few of my sets and I thought I’d post one or two up here just to get some feedback. I’d really like it if I was told not just what I’m doing wrong (or right), but how I can go about working on those deficiencies. I’m really keen to get into this sport, but I don’t want to get a year down the track and have to go back to bar work because my technique is so rubbish!

Many thanks in advance. Looking forward to the feedback.

Regards,

F.

Classic: Didn’t upload the video. Will try later when I have more time.

I don’t want to get a year down the track and have to go back to bar work because my technique is so rubbish!

i suspect this might be part of the nature of the sport…

Post the vids and you’ll get solid responses but understand form is a constantly evolving portion of the sport. Video coaching can help to fix some of the basic issues, but on-site coaching is a much shorter path. Dan John posted 2 great articles and has tons of free stuff you should get familiar with while you’re learning. Peace.

form is a constantly evolving portion of the sport.

yes, thats what I meant.

I agree with everything reli816 posted, actually.

which 2 of Dan John’s articles did you mean?

Looking forward to the videos. You said you were learning on-line so one great resource is California Strength’s website. Check out the Olympic weightlifting technique under the videos section.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Will look into Dan John’s stuff, as well as the California Strength website… Am definitely getting the feeling it will be an ongoing process, but looking forward to sinking my teeth in.

In regards to posting the video: I’ve tried three times to no avail. I’m clicking add file, then choosing the one’s I want from the computer, and clicking submit…but each time no video. Anyone had this problem, or am I an idiot?

F.

[quote]Guillefras wrote:
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Will look into Dan John’s stuff, as well as the California Strength website… Am definitely getting the feeling it will be an ongoing process, but looking forward to sinking my teeth in.

In regards to posting the video: I’ve tried three times to no avail. I’m clicking add file, then choosing the one’s I want from the computer, and clicking submit…but each time no video. Anyone had this problem, or am I an idiot?

F.[/quote]

I have had problems getting video to load too. How about youtube? I found it to be much quicker and easier.

Right, went the youtube route.

First One

Second One (very next set)

Again, thanks for being patient guys, and I well and truly appreciate any comments you guys will/have already given.

F.

I can’t see the vids, but it could just be something on my end not really sure. The two articles I was referring to are his 2 latest ones here on T-Nation about the goblet squat and what he calls the “hinge” for kettlebell swings (basically the same way he teaches the 2nd pull). His free pdf on weightlifting (which I think is on his site) offers similar stuff but more in depth. Oh and x2 on falcon’s post Cal strength is also a wonderful free resource.

Awesome. Thanks for the direction. Video’s are up and running now, so we’re in business!

F.

Overall not bad especially if you’ve only been lifting for a few weeks. What are these weights in relation to your max? If you know it…Usually you can see form changes above 80%
One thing that you’re doing that I’ve never been a fan of is jumping back during the lift. But there are so many successful athletes that do, I’m not sure I’m qualified enough to say that’s really something to change. Just my preference bc I find it’s too easy to lose the weight forward (or back if you really start getting swing in there).
You could also stay with the second pull for a moment longer, really be patient and extend fully, it’ll feel odd but you’ll gain valuable inches.
If these are far away from your max then put some more speed on that bar. Squeeze off the floor (good) then accelerate (could be better). Make sure you aren’t looking down when you catch, that’s a good way to pitch the weight forward because your shoulder girdle often follows.
Once again, if you’ve been teaching yourself then great job. You’ve got a good base after a short time without any formal direction. Keep it up.

If you do have a max for the snatch I wouldn’t be too concerned with maxes your pull seems ok Falcon is on the money as far aas the pull. I wanna know how comfortable you are in the squat position and think that speed under the bar is what you’ll want to think the hardest about. As soon as your hips snap you need to be headed under the bar. Snatch balances may help you get solid in the bottom position, but you need to get very comfortable at the bottom aka the squat.

[quote]Dexter Falcon wrote:
One thing that you’re doing that I’ve never been a fan of is jumping back during the lift. But there are so many successful athletes that do, I’m not sure I’m qualified enough to say that’s really something to change. Just my preference bc I find it’s too easy to lose the weight forward (or back if you really start getting swing in there).[/quote]

I had noticed that myself from a previous session, and in fact had aims to try and reduce that. Is this a consequence of me pulling “back” on my 2nd pull as opposed to really exploding “up?” Or perhaps it’s a subconscious thing I’m doing to give myself room to get under…either way I’ll make sure I’m thinking about that jump (and a fuller 2nd pull) in my session today.

[quote]rell816 wrote:
I wanna know how comfortable you are in the squat position and think that speed under the bar is what you’ll want to think the hardest about. As soon as your hips snap you need to be headed under the bar. Snatch balances may help you get solid in the bottom position, but you need to get very comfortable at the bottom aka the squat.[/quote]

As far as being a beginner goes I’m feeling pretty comfortable. Towards the end of my sessions (which these videos were) I start getting a little wobbly (getting tired, and being weak), but I feel pretty solid at the beginning. I felt slow under the bar - any ways I can go about working on that speed, or is it a case of just thinking about it?

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

F.

It can be a case of both with people new to the lifts, but snatch balances help (don’t depend too heavily on this lift). You move well for where you’re at and your lifts are acceptable the key is getting under the bar experience or more reps. Keep practicing and as far as the positions go you want them to be second nature especially the squat. Practice goblet squats whenever you can other than that have something consistent that you follow and be persistant. The more reps you get the better you’ll be kinda like free throws.

Guillafras,

Nice rythym. Good overhead balance.

Work on:

1. changing balance on the feet from front to back as you leave floor.
  2. sweep bar towards you, starting the inward sweep of the proper S pull. you do this by tightening your lats a bit as you drive the bar from the floor.
  3. make sure the bar is over the base of your big toe when you start.
  4. make sure your shoulders are vertically over the bar when you start.

Good luck and welcome.

CoachMc