Snap's Survey

Here’s the question. I want to know what three accessory exercises you think give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of driving up the 1 RM of squat, bench, and DL. So you can give me three accessory exercises for each lift. Thanks for the feedback.

I hav’nt done deadlifts since I started, but for the squat, I think good mornings have been great. I am an awful Bench Presser, but I think anything that makes your triceps stronger is going to help. I do CGBP and Skull Crushers.

Raw or geared ?

squat - reverse band squat, against bands, and box squats - while some may not count them as accessories, squatting more is what has made my squat better

bench - reverse band bench, tate presses, and close grip board presses

deadlift - reverse band deadlift, deficit deadlifts, and romanian deadlifts

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
Raw or geared ?[/quote]

Good point. I guess both.

Good morning, floor press, anything for a big fucking back.

My God, PMPM. You practically disappear from the boards and then return looking absolutely luscious! We should, umm, get together sometime.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
squat - reverse band squat, against bands, and box squats - while some may not count them as accessories, squatting more is what has made my squat better

bench - reverse band bench, tate presses, and close grip board presses

deadlift - reverse band deadlift, deficit deadlifts, and romanian deadlifts [/quote]

So I can see you’re a big believer in accessory work that is just a slight modification to the main lift.

Squats : ghr, pull thrus, Romanians
Alternate main lift with squats with chain, against bands and reverse bands, lots of box squats

Bench: close grip, Tates, facepulls (build rear delts and back )
Alternate main lift with chains, against bands and love, love reverse band bench

Deadlift: gm, conventionals if pulling sumo or vice versa, if pulling sumo I do like good girl/bad girls to strengthen hips
Alternate main lift by deficit pulls, conv rack pulls, rev band pulls

Squat: box squat is king, followed by GMs, RDLs, front squats.

Bench: Dumbell bench, close grips, board presses to different heights, JM presses, rolling tris. Oh, and upper back work.

Deadlift: Defecits, rack pulls, GMs, front squats, ssb box squats with a close stance (or wide if you pull sumo).

Bench press: Paused benches, incline presses, push press

deadlift: Rack pulls, kb swings, good mornings

Squat: front sqaut, box squat jumps, 1 legged sqauts in the smith machine.

And: Time.

Not a powerlifter so don’t really “do” assistance work to specifically increase them, but I do do the powerlifts so… (do do? can that be right?)

SQUAT: I agree with Dixie. My squat goes up the more often I squat.

DEADLIFT: My deadlift went up more from my squat going up (without doing a single rep of deads) than when I concentrate on deadlifting.

BENCH: Just got a new PR, I don’t know exactly what was responsible, but the different stuff I’ve been doing recently is overhead DB presses, lots of face pulls and weighted push ups.

[quote]PeteS wrote:
Squat: box squat is king[/quote]

Why? Because the lift is initiated from the bottom?

And you listed more than three. That’s cheating.

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Bench press: incline presses[/quote]

Why? I don’t understand why inclines would be that important since a competition bench is essentially done in a decline position if one has a good arch. But I’ve been told inclines before . . .

Why? I don’t understand why inclines would be that important since a competition bench is essentially done in a decline position if one has a good arch. But I’ve been told inclines before . . .[/quote]

…never considered this…hmmm…

[quote]brute_fury wrote:

Why? I don’t understand why inclines would be that important since a competition bench is essentially done in a decline position if one has a good arch. But I’ve been told inclines before . . .[/quote]

…never considered this…hmmm…
[/quote]

Its an exercise that very closely resembles the Flat bench. But puts you in a anatomicaly worse position for power.

Put it this way -doing inclines all the time to the collar bone and then going to a competition arch bench press will feel like a decline bench or a 2-board press.

The range of motion decreases as you go from incline to flat to decline-make sense?

To add to my post above in the Incline the stretch on the chest is much greater than in the Flat bench.

I had alot of talks with my Surgeon+Kineologist(sp) on this with how my Pacemaker interacts -the leads mostly- and how the pectorals act and move under strain.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]PeteS wrote:
Squat: box squat is king[/quote]

Why? Because the lift is initiated from the bottom?

And you listed more than three. That’s cheating.

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Bench press: incline presses[/quote]

<<<<< doesn’t follow instructions well

box squat because a) forces you to use perfect or close to perfect form, b) you can’t cheat depth (unless you are using a high box, and sometimes theres a reason for that) c) I find I can do more volume box squats that free squats with less wear and tear d) they are harder, so when you move to free squatting it ‘ain’t nothing but a peanut’

Squatting: when I was relearning squat, sumo deads seemed to help getting out of the hole. Spread feet far apart and use 10# plates to go really low.

Deadlift: my Sheiko uses DL to knees, rack DL, and deficit DL.

Bench: who wants my advice on bench?

Squat: Heavy walk outs and Reverse-Hyper Extensions

Bench Press: Apollons Axel OHP

Deadlifts: Heavy, double overhand, rack pulls from just below the knee, using straps.