Snap Back

Welcome aboard

I find lots of inspiration here.

Mom says, “Hi!”

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
Thats still a fair bit of conditioning work, more than most people can do.[/quote]

What the hell is CONDITIONING WORK ??

I like the smell of old man. I’m married to one.

I swim in an indoor pool, although I grew up swimming in Lake Michigan and the Florida Gulf. There’s no open water in my vicinity now. I’m mostly a breast stroker with some freestyle thrown in when my shoulder tolerates it. Can’t be good having shoulder problems being a shotputter, hel320.

Hi PMPM. I still wanna train with you sometime when I get to the point that I won’t be a total embarrassment to you.

Today’s training:

Stretching

Decline Situps
3/20

Squat
10/45
5/5/65 (59% of bodyweight)

Good Mornings
3/8/55

Deficit Sumo Deadlift
3/8/75

Hamstring Curl
8/80
2/8/70

My shoulder was pretty shot after holding the bar for squats and good mornings. Funny that a shoulder can be the limiting factor with those lifts.

Yo, snap. Have you thought of getting a manta or top squat bar? It might help with your shoulder issues, you don’t need to externally rotate using it.

I know what you mean about the shoulder Snap, for some reason when I start squatting my left elbow can hurt a lot but as I keep squatting it goes away. Very odd.

Still it’s got to feel good being back in the gym.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Yo, snap. Have you thought of getting a manta or top squat bar? It might help with your shoulder issues, you don’t need to externally rotate using it.

Wow, what great idea. That looks like a real handy thing to have.

Nice workout Snap. I bet it feels good to get back under a bar. Those weights will come up pretty quickly. Great swimming too. You really do have ants in your pants with all the swimming, hiking and lifting. I have a tendency to do the same thing. Except not swimming.

Ants in my pants. Yep.

Quite honestly, I’ve had second thoughts about starting this thread since it seems so silly to be logging my numbers. But the reality is that it’s where I am right now.

Today is physical therapy. I meet with my therapist on Tuesday/Thursday and then do the exercises (plus some) on Saturday as well. Essentially it’s a lot of isometric work (internal/external rotations, rear delt fly, kroc rows with teeny tiny DBs, etc. with some light biceps and triceps thrown in). It’s amazing how slowly the strength is coming back. I still can’t do any pressing work without extreme pain, which I find highly disconcerting. I’m going to give floor presses a try again today.

That device is cool, Yo Momma. I can see how it would be really useful for someone who can’t get the rotation needed to hold the bar. But I can get the rotation and forcing myself to do so (as long as I keep the weight on my back light) is good therapy.

It’s always good to have something that lets you see how far you’ve come.

Yes, PMPM. That’s why I’m logging.

Was able to do sets of floor presses with 5-lb. DBs today without pain. This is a huge cause for celebration.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

Was able to do sets of floor presses with 5-lb. DBs today without pain. This is a huge cause for celebration.[/quote]

BEEFCAKE!!!

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

Was able to do sets of floor presses with 5-lb. DBs today without pain. This is a huge cause for celebration.[/quote]

no pain == WIN!

[quote]soldog wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

no pain == WIN![/quote]
Happy to hear you are making progress:)

shhh! I followed you here…

^^^ So glad you don’t mind the nursing home smell here, nlmain.

Do’in any PT specific stuff for that shoulder injury?

my log is as silly as your log

but writing it down is a great baseline

Eric Cressey wrote an article on swimming
for pitchers.
basically he thought it led to more shoulder instability
felt the motor patterns of pitching and swimming combined where not so smart.

it was a decent read.

its a shame cause it is one form of ‘slow cardio’ that I enjoy

aah, found ya! Maybe I’ll join you two over here… though I know this 48 y/o is still “young”. :wink:

Hello Oldman. I have a long protocol for my shoulder rehab that I follow three times a week consisting of:

lying DB external rotation (“L” fly)
lying DB kroc row
lying DB rear delt fly
lying DB arm straight down pull straight back to hip (no clue what this is called)
lying shoulder punches straight up
DB floor press
external rotation with theraband
internal rotation with theraband
standing DB side delt fly
standing DB lift at 45 degree angle with hands in neutral grip
cable row
DB bicep curls
DB tricep extension
roll the tiny medicine ball on the wall in multiple directions

Aren’t you glad you asked?

Kmcnyc: The jury’s out for me on swimming. It seems like it should be good exercise and good rehab. But forcing my shoulder to repetitively make that motion . . . I just don’t know. I need to read more Cressey since he seems to be such the shoulder guy.

Hello Lil Power. Truly, I feel younger and in better shape than ever. But I think folks over here can perhaps better relate to the challenges that I’m currently facing.