T Nation

Snack for School?

Very mundane question, I’m running out of ideas for a good snack, high in protein to bring to school. So far I’ve been eating a banana, PB&J sandwich mid morning, and whey but the whey is very impractical and my shaker stinks no matter how hard I try to wash it.

I’m thinking of making my own trail mix to bring to school with nuts, almonds, granola, m&m’s, and raisins and that’d have me covered for carbs and fat, but not a whole lot of protein.

Do you have any suggestions for something that’s easy to make, carry around, and eat? I’d rather it not contain processed meat as I’m trying to limit that.

pudding snack and a juice box?

2 Likes

Fajita Wraps little ones you can snack on, Greek Yoghurt I love it plain, Tuna Mayo sandwiches, Cottage Cheese, I tend to eat most of my food after college so I take a 500g Greek Yoghurt have that at college 625 calories then binge eat at home lol

2 Likes

I recently got onto trail mix myself. Works out to about 20g protein / 100g which is pretty much low protein meat / weight levels e.g. salmon. Just make it more nuts than choc and raisins. Just enough of the tasty stuff to make it go down fast and easy.

Got something called an Up & Go here in Australia. 15g protein a pop. I keep a few around everywhere in my car in my gym bag and other bags.

https://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/up-and-go/energize/iced-coffee-flavour

I also like little Chobani Yogurt packs. 15g protein a pop.

1 Like

Beef jerky? Or pre cooked meats? A little processed but not the worse thing in the world.

Also very easy to use your whey to make a batch of protein flapjacks/protein balls/tray bake. Lots of recipes out there if you do a quick search, you can add your nuts, raisins, m and ms, peanut butter and stuff to them to get what ever cals/macros you want.

1 Like

i thought about this but we don’t have it in italy. a friend of mine brought some from the US last summer and i loved the taste, so if it doesn’t cost too much i may consider buying some online.

this sounds like a good idea but unfortunately i don’t have an oven currently (it’s broken). when i move to my new house this summer this will become an option… but then again i’ll be out of school by then lol

yeah, i should be able to make high enough in protein to be good. i just thought there could be a better alternative seeing as 20 g of protein from nuts comes with a lot of fats as well. not necessarily a bad thing though.

looks very good, wish we would have something similar here.

Every problem has a solution! No bake protein snacks are a thing. Didn’t know what sites I could link so cosy and pasted it but this is one of the first up if you Google no bake whey flapjacks.

INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 cups (400g) uncooked oatmeal (quick oats)
1 cup (250g) peanut butter
1 cup (250ml) coconut cream or milk
6 scoops whey vanilla protein powder

Makes 14 bars
Calories 249
Total Fat 15.1g
Total Carbohydrate 22.7g
Dietary Fiber 4.1g
Protein 8.5g
Calcium 26mg
Iron 3mg
Potassium 270mg

1Pour the coconut milk (or cream) into a large bowl, whisk until smooth if necessary.

2Add protein powder and continue whisking.

3Next add peanut butter and mix everything together with a spoon.

4Add uncooked oatmeal and mix everything together - you may need to use your hands at this point.

5Line a dish with baking paper or foil, transfer the mix in and flatten it until smooth.

6Chill in the fridge overnight (or minimum 2hrs) then cut into 12 or 14 bars.

Easy peasy and obviously any other ingredients can be added.

Shame about the jerky though.

2 Likes

True. I made some DIY peanut butter choc protein bars once upon a time but tbh these days I can’t be arsed

I just recently learned that you could apparently make your own home made beef jerky, so that’s a good plus since you’ll be doing away with all the processed preservatives. Not sure how to make them though but pretty sure you’ll find something through google. You can also make it taste to your liking

Ha ha yeah I’m the same. I used to make stuff like this a fair bit but don’t very often now.

I brought some golden syrup flavoured whey just for this kind of thing. Was awful as a shake!

interesting! i’ll look into this

this definitely looks like something i’ll be trying. one question for you if you’ve tried doing anything similar: how long do these last? milk usually go bad after a few days, so if i use the dosages listed and make 13ish bars, most of them will go wasted. probably need to adjust the doses down

1 Like

No bake bars usually hold over pretty well in the freezer. 2-3 months.

Also, Jerky House is a European vendor of jerky with acceptable shipping but honestly, I’m pretty sure that you can buy it in Italy. Visit stores geared towards hikers and climbers. Jerky is pretty common to bring along for long hikes and climbs.

160g smooth peanut butter
110g almond meal
175g chocolate casein powder

Mix, and spread out on a baking tray. You might want to use a rolling pin to even it out. Toss in the freezer for an hour, take out, cut into ten servings, and put back in the freezer. No milk. Holds well in the freezer for longtime storage. Roughly 20p/5c/14f

As @Voxel mentioned freezing is an option for bigger batches or lower the quantities to make a couple of days worth. Plus your mass building, eat them all! Lol.

1 Like