T Nation

Smoothie King?

Is it crap? Worthless? Fattening? I buy some of my supplements there, and every once in a while I will get one of their high protien shakes. My normal shake is Grow! needless to say Grow! is better, but I just wanted to get the “straight poop”

I’ve wondered the same thing. I go past one regularly when I walk to BLueberry Hill for a couple of 17oz. Newcastle Brown Ales. Hehehehe

[quote]force of one wrote:
Is it crap? Worthless? Fattening? I buy some of my supplements there, and every once in a while I will get one of their high protien shakes. My normal shake is Grow! needless to say Grow! is better, but I just wanted to get the “straight poop”[/quote]

They are OK as far as smoothie places go. They started in the late 80’s in the New Orleans area and were the typical hippy-place. I prefer to go there as opposed to the fast food places in town.
I haven’t found one that could equal the pro/carb/fat ratio that I do at home.
Phileaux

I think it may only be a DC thing but the best Smoothie by far that I have ever had is Robeks! I can’t even find a decent smoothie place up here in Detroit. They have some brand but it is pure sugar and no real fruit.

[quote]Phileaux wrote:
They are OK as far as smoothie places go. They started in the late 80’s in the New Orleans area and were the typical hippy-place. I prefer to go there as opposed to the fast food places in town.
I haven’t found one that could equal the pro/carb/fat ratio that I do at home.
Phileaux [/quote]

yeah… I never touch fast food. screw that mess. Smoothie shchwing is almost certainly better.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
I think it may only be a DC thing but the best Smoothie by far that I have ever had is Robeks! I can’t even find a decent smoothie place up here in Detroit. They have some brand but it is pure sugar and no real fruit.[/quote]

Dang. Wish we had a Robeks here… but a smoothie king IS shot with sugar unless you tell them to “hold the turbinado” in which case your smoothie may taste like medicine or something

I’m going to assume you’re bulking, and in that case, no, there is nothing wrong with Smoothie King. I have one below my apartment but rarely go due to the cost since I can make it cheaper at home.

Just out of curiosity, why do you buy your supplements there? I’ve personally never seen more expensive supplements anywhere. You can get things a lot cheaper online.

[quote]Revo09 wrote:
I’m going to assume you’re bulking, and in that case, no, there is nothing wrong with Smoothie King. I have one below my apartment but rarely go due to the cost since I can make it cheaper at home.

Just out of curiosity, why do you buy your supplements there? I’ve personally never seen more expensive supplements anywhere. You can get things a lot cheaper online.[/quote]
habit mostly… I get this tissue/joint repair supplement there and it does cost a fortune, but it’s just impossible to figure out which ones are good and which ones aren’t. So i figure get the one that costs the most, and maybe it will be a good one.
Actually no I am not bulking. Just strength training.

Thats a good way to throw your money out the window… Most joint/tissue repair supps are the same, they’re just packed with glucosamine that you can get at kroger in the pharmacy section. Matter of fact while you’re there, grab some fish oil, l-carnitine, chromium picolinate, and green tea extract while you’re at it.

In regards to Smoothie King its not bad at all if you go there post-workout. They’re all loaded w/sugar, so just get one of the high-protein variety and you got yourself a decent recovery shake.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
I think it may only be a DC thing but the best Smoothie by far that I have ever had is Robeks! I can’t even find a decent smoothie place up here in Detroit. They have some brand but it is pure sugar and no real fruit.[/quote]

Yes! That Robeks is awesome. Last time I was there before I left to go home for the summer was a Large Gorilla Protein shake. Damn that was good! Can’t wait for more in the fall.

The couple of times I’ve been to SK I’ve gotten the Gladiator. 45g of protein and just 1g carb, 0g fat. It tastes decent, not quite as good as a more fruity type smoothie, maybe a little gritty. Yeah, they are a little expensive.

I sometimes make them at home. I use frozen strawberries, Optimum Nutrition’s chocolate whey protein, a couple packets of Equal, ice, skim milk, and sometimes strawberry yogurt. Turns out quite good IMO.

They’re ok. Jamba juice is better if you want something sweet that’s reasonably healthy not PWO. Their smoothies naturally have fiber in them. You can also get a fiber boost for free and pay for a protein boost. Not a bad snack. It is soy protein, but that’s not going to kill you once in awhile.

A friend of mine raves about Smoothie king, but I’ve never had the opportunity to try it. He tells me that they are expensive.

Expensive, but taste pretty good.