Smooth Sided or Cut Out Plates?

I’ve got to buy myself an olympic barbell set, because I’ve just found out the bar I loaded up to 500 lbs last night is only rated for 330!! At least I can justify it to my wife on safety grounds, I mean “do you want me to die?”.

I’ve found a couple of sets (only £10 price difference) one smooth sided the other “tri-grip”.

Was going to go for the flat sided, mainly because they look better. Is there any advantage to having grip holes that I’m missing?

Thanks all.

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
I’ve got to buy myself an olympic barbell set, because I’ve just found out the bar I loaded up to 500 lbs last night is only rated for 330!! At least I can justify it to my wife on safety grounds, I mean “do you want me to die?”.

I’ve found a couple of sets (only Ã?£10 price difference) one smooth sided the other “tri-grip”.

Was going to go for the flat sided, mainly because they look better. Is there any advantage to having grip holes that I’m missing?

Thanks all.[/quote]

If the choice is between round and hexagonal plates, do NOT under any circumstnaces get the hex plates. They SUCK for deadlifts if you are doing more than a single rep.

Yeah I will not even consider getting hexagonal plates.

Thanks

I’ve found a couple of sets (only Ã?£10 price difference) one smooth sided the other “tri-grip”.

Thanks all.[/quote]

You mean grip holes in the plates?

[quote]PeteS wrote:

I’ve found a couple of sets (only Ã??Ã?£10 price difference) one smooth sided the other “tri-grip”.

Thanks all.[/quote]

You mean grip holes in the plates?
[/quote]

Yep. I mean apart from making it easier to thread a chain through for dips I cant see any advantage, but I wasn’t sure if I was missing something.

I mean I’ve always managed to pick up plates without grip holes but you know…

I personally don’t like plates with grip holes. The only ones I have seen are either hex or are smaller than standard 45s.

Your bar is really only made for 330? yeah, go get a better bar. If you were stateside I would recommned a bar from Jessup Gym, best bang for your buck out there.

Hex plates are the devil…

[quote]PeteS wrote:
I personally don’t like plates with grip holes. The only ones I have seen are either hex or are smaller than standard 45s.

Your bar is really only made for 330? yeah, go get a better bar. If you were stateside I would recommned a bar from Jessup Gym, best bang for your buck out there. [/quote]

Yeah it’s just a cheap home gym type bar. When I bought it 15 years ago I asked the guy how much it could take and he said “more than you could handle”. I took that to mean it was probably 800lbs or something. Not 330, the cheeky fucker.

The new bar I’m looking at is good for 700lbs which should do me for a while (probably the rest of my life). If I ever get to the stage where I’m lifting over 700 I’d be thrilled to have to get a new bar!

The plates are standard 450mm diameter.

[quote]PeteS wrote:

[/quote]
Yep.

I have grip holes in my plates at the gym, and they are standard sized. I like them for farmers walks.

<3 my gym.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I like them for farmers walks.[/quote]

Now that’s the sort of thing I was thinking about, does having grip holes mean they can be used for other exercises (just involving the plates themselves) thereby making them more versatile?

I can’t see how the holes can be detrimental as long as the plates are the same weight and diameter.

Thanks for that PMPM.

Now that’s the sort of thing I was thinking about, does having grip holes mean they can be used for other exercises (just involving the plates themselves) thereby making them more versatile?

I can’t see how the holes can be detrimental as long as the plates are the same weight and diameter.

Thanks for that PMPM.[/quote]

I misunderstood. My bad.

I like the grip holes for, as you said, running the chain through for dips.

[quote]giterdone wrote:

I misunderstood. My bad.

[/quote]

Really? because I tried doing that for dips and it seemed to be even more unbalancing than normal having them swing like that.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

[quote]giterdone wrote:

I misunderstood. My bad.

[/quote]

Really? because I tried doing that for dips and it seemed to be even more unbalancing than normal having them swing like that. [/quote]

Well, running them through the centre hole would smash me in the nuts. Not a fan. Could be solved with a longer chain though.
I also found it easier to load and unload dips since I didn’t have to bend over as far.
But, I do see your point about greater swing if the weight is farther from the belt.

Oh, I have seen those plates as PMPM posted. I don’t see any downside to those.

But you should be warned that round plates are dangerous. So says my 24 Hour Management.

[quote]giterdone wrote:

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

[quote]giterdone wrote:

I misunderstood. My bad.

[/quote]

Really? because I tried doing that for dips and it seemed to be even more unbalancing than normal having them swing like that. [/quote]

Well, running them through the centre hole would smash me in the nuts. Not a fan. Could be solved with a longer chain though.
I also found it easier to load and unload dips since I didn’t have to bend over as far.
But, I do see your point about greater swing if the weight is farther from the belt. [/quote]

Well yes, there is great nut smashing fear…

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
But you should be warned that round plates are dangerous. So says my 24 Hour Management.[/quote]

Gosh I hadn’t thought about it from a health and safety view point. I will make sure I wear a helmet and elbow and knee pads and will not lift anything over 25kg as recommended by the European Health and Safety Executive.

I like the old fashioned round iron plates without grip holes. Probably because I like the way they fit together and clank when I’m deadlifting with them. No real empirical reason why though.

Also, my gym has kettlebells, so I usually use those with a dip belt. If you are going to do weighted pullups or dips, go for the plates with grip holes if you value your balls.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
But you should be warned that round plates are dangerous. So says my 24 Hour Management.[/quote]

Gosh I hadn’t thought about it from a health and safety view point. I will make sure I wear a helmet and elbow and knee pads and will not lift anything over 25kg as recommended by the European Health and Safety Executive.[/quote]

HA!

round plates–no sided stuff! ones i have at home are Gold’s Gym from walmart–have grips on them but are round–way cool