Smolov-Type Program for Deadlifts?

I just finished the Smolov Base Mesocycle for Squat. I am loving the program. And while I have until mid-April before I complete the program, I was thinking ahead and wondered if anyone knew of any smolov-type program (in terms of the frequency, changing parameters, etc.) for the Deadlift?

A lot of guy use the Coan DL program. You could probably search for it and find it. I personally don’t know the specifics.

ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/coanphildead.html

This the one?

[quote]timmcbride00 wrote:

This the one?[/quote]

Hows this work? Do you only do one DL workout per week? So you do total ten workouts?

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
timmcbride00 wrote:

This the one?

Hows this work? Do you only do one DL workout per week? So you do total ten workouts?[/quote]

Pretty much. Look at the volume tho.

The Coan cycle is to DL’s what Smolov is to squats!

Someone mentioned having done smolov for deadlifts with good results in the last smolov thread I think.

I will be doing a Smolov Jr DL program 4 weeks from now… I’ll update this thread at that time to say how it is going and then afterwards how it went.

I will be doing it the exact same as Smolov Jr for the bench press.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Pretty much. Look at the volume tho.

The Coan cycle is to DL’s what Smolov is to squats![/quote]

Great, that sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks Hanley!

And thanks Doubleduce for the initial suggestion.

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
Someone mentioned having done smolov for deadlifts with good results in the last smolov thread I think.[/quote]

As someone who is going through Smolov currently for Squats, I think that is crazy. To each his own, but I personally couldn’t handle the frequency of deadlifts that I can for squats. Smolov has you squatting 3 and 4 times per week. The Coad DL program has you deadlifting 1 time per week. Much more realistic for me considering the deadlift is more taxing on the body.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
I will be doing a Smolov Jr DL program 4 weeks from now… I’ll update this thread at that time to say how it is going and then afterwards how it went.

I will be doing it the exact same as Smolov Jr for the bench press.[/quote]

Good luck, I did Smolov Jr with DB Bench and it worked great. I supposed deadlifting that frequently might work if you limited it to a 3 week program like Smolov Jr. Any longer and it seems like it would just absolutely drain a person’s recovery ability.

I would definitely be interested in hearing about your results.

Thanks Bill.

I’d be interested in your results from the Feduleyev intense mesocycle in your Smolov squat program. To use Pavel T’s description, it sounds inhumane!

Sure thing, I test my squat max in a couple days, then have a 2 week switching cycle, followed by the Intense Mesocycle.

I’ll let you know.

A year ago I applied the Smolov Base cycle to front squats and increased my 1RM by around 10kg. I’ve just finished the base cycle again using deadlifts not skimping on the reps or loading, and tested my 1RM tonight.

An increase of 7.5kg! :smiley:

[quote]Mazdabation wrote:
A year ago I applied the Smolov Base cycle to front squats and increased my 1RM by around 10kg. I’ve just finished the base cycle again using deadlifts not skimping on the reps or loading, and tested my 1RM tonight.

An increase of 7.5kg! :D[/quote]

so you were deadlifting 4 times per week?
doing the 4x9, 5x7, 7x5, 10x3?

if that’s so, holy crap, props to you.

FYI
After the Base cycle, I went from 303 with a belt to 330 beltless and 340 with a belt. A 37 pound PR and hopefully the intense cycle brings it up more.

I will be doing it the exact same as Smolov Jr for the bench press.[/quote]

Bill, you have to tell us how this is ends up. I’m doing the full Smolov for squats and it’s so far going well. I’m toying with the idea of doing what you’re thinking of. Sounds like a good time.

I definitely will: unfortunately I’m going to have a bit of a delay in starting. The previously planned start date won’t work because of having to be a groomsman at a wedding on the 28th. And therefore having to fit the tuxedo properly.

And therefore needing to drop 2" from the waist between now and then.

Not compatible with Smolov at the same time. :frowning:

So will instead have to move the start to right after that.

I’d be interested in your results from the Feduleyev intense mesocycle in your Smolov squat program. To use Pavel T’s description, it sounds inhumane![/quote]

The Intense meso yielded another 50 pound increase!
It was immensely difficult, but sickly enjoyable at the same time. My total increase was 87 pounds, from a measly 303 to a more respectable 390 at a bodyweight of 198.

Just wondering if anyone has applied the Smolove template on upper body such as the OHP before?

Is it applicable?

Well, with you guys’ help I picked Coan/Phillipi Deadlift program. I’m logging my workouts in the Coan/Phillipi thread here;
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/coanphillipi_deadlift_thread

Thanks for help finding this program. I think I’m gonna love it if it doesn’t kill me.