T Nation

Smolov to Start the Offseason

Hey guys,

Seriously thinking about starting the base meso cycle for Smolov next monday to start off the offseason (football, Sam/Mike Linebacker).

The only catch with this is I will do it using my parallel box Squat.

my current box squat to parallel is 355 (PR is 415 w/o)

(current BW is 214, weight was 219 at time of PR box squat)

any thoughts or comments are welcome

Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday
4x9 249 5x7 267 7x5 287 10x3 302

4x9 269 5x7 287 7x5 304 10x3 322

4x9 279 5x7 297 7x5 314 10x3 332

this will be week 1-3
testing will be week 4 on wednesday or friday

diet during this will be eat enough to get through this.

supplements: creatine(5-10G/day) and Beta Alanine (3.5G/day)

I did the base meso cycle a few weeks after I did a russian strength generator program.
Id look into the russian strength gen program as well as a suggestions.

I gained 35 pounds on the russian strength and around 35 on smolov. What I LIKED about the russian strength it was ALOT easier then smolov and increased my strength more then the 5 percent the program said it would. Plus its only 3 times a week so you can do alot more work on other areas of your body.

What I liked about smolov is it forces you to learn work ethic. Every workout is hard and it works. The only thing I looked forward to each session is knowing every session I was making gains. Your legs will grow alot on this program too. Not only that but its a three weeks shorter then russian strength as well if you discount week 4. Id also take a week off before testing.
Be warned its a very very brutal program but since your doin box squats…Im thinking it wont be as bad. If your not used to squatting 4 times a week I wouldnt JUMP right into it tho

is there a smovlov program with all three lifts each day? i remeber seeing a fellow on it and im thinking thatd be useful for my inseason to get everything done at once and fit accessory in on the side during track?

[quote]RiPPing Time wrote:
I did the base meso cycle a few weeks after I did a russian strength generator program.
Id look into the russian strength gen program as well as a suggestions.

I gained 35 pounds on the russian strength and around 35 on smolov. What I LIKED about the russian strength it was ALOT easier then smolov and increased my strength more then the 5 percent the program said it would. Plus its only 3 times a week so you can do alot more work on other areas of your body.

What I liked about smolov is it forces you to learn work ethic. Every workout is hard and it works. The only thing I looked forward to each session is knowing every session I was making gains. Your legs will grow alot on this program too. Not only that but its a three weeks shorter then russian strength as well if you discount week 4. Id also take a week off before testing.
Be warned its a very very brutal program but since your doin box squats…Im thinking it wont be as bad. If your not used to squatting 4 times a week I wouldnt JUMP right into it tho
[/quote]

thanks for the advice, very helpful, will def consider a week deload before testing.

did you do a sparing amount of upper work while on the base cycle ? I was thinking of keeping it to some form of bench and some pull up/chin up work

[quote]bignate wrote:
is there a smovlov program with all three lifts each day? i remeber seeing a fellow on it and im thinking thatd be useful for my inseason to get everything done at once and fit accessory in on the side during track?[/quote]

Smolov with bench, dead, squat in the same days? That’s suicide.

Smolov Jr is what he’s referring to, which is easier than the whole hog.