Smolov Question

I recently not too long ago got off a back injury where before I had a 150kg max. I was wondering if re-running the base cycle of smolov would help me get back to 150 with my current max at 130kg, although I think I had about 5kg in me because it was a hard lift but I no sticking points like I normally do with other squat PRs.

So I was thinking I could start with 130 or 135 (preferably 130) and midway through the cycle my cns might jump back in gear and I could endup with a 155/160 pr… what do you guys think ?

It depends on the back injury(severity, how long ago, etc) and if you have run smolov before. If you haven’t run smolov before or your back injury was recent, I would personally advise against it. Squatting 4 days a week breaks down a healthy man’s body. Just my opinion, though.

Well the back injury was grade 2 sprain… lasted for 6 weeks due to re injury horsing around etc. It doesn’t hurt when I squat even on that 130kg, only thing is when I do back hypers its a bit sore but usually comes around after a massage the next day.

Yea I ran smolov base cycle before and the intense cycle like a month later but because I didn’t set it up right I just hit some 4x140kg PR not a 1RM… which in my book was okay.Im 200 at 18yrs btw.

[quote]chadochocinco wrote:
I recently not too long ago got off a back injury [/quote]

I don’t see why you think running Smolov is a good idea if you just injured your back. Smolov takes a MASSIVE toll on your body, and if there is ANYTHING that’s wrong, you are going to get injured.

Believe me. I wanted to try Smolov when I was over-enthusiastic and didn’t know better. Wanted to bring up my laughable 285 olympic squat. I was completely dedicated to my training to the extent that I was taking ice baths in feburary for recovery and taking all showers with as cold water as possible to build mental toughness.

I had my entire week’s worth of eating written out on a template and recorded my “meal compliance.” I was so excited over the idea of adding about 50 pounds to my squat.
Within three weeks I’d injured my hip severely enough to not be able to squat again for a few months.

Smolov is NOT for you.

You just got off a back injury. Fix that before you even THINK about trying Smolov, because if you’re not squatting absolutely perfectly, you’re asking for an even worse injury.

hmmm, just looking to regain my led strength… its tough having a hard time squat cleaning 80kg lol and struggling to power clean 110kg. My back feels fine when squatting I don’t think smolov is as brutal as most people say it is. Atleast for the base mesocycle… you get used to it from the first week, the intensity cycle I think is tough.

[quote]chadochocinco wrote:
My back feels fine when squatting I don’t think smolov is as brutal as most people say it is. [/quote]

No comment…