Smolov Jr for Bench

I was doing 5/3/1 for about a year or so. But i recently came across the Smolov squat routine and the smolov jr. routine that has been used for squat, bench or deadlift. So i have decided to try it out for bench.

1/6/12-friday
bench-275(starting max)
day 1 (70 percent)
195x6x6

50 pullups
50 dips

comments- was unsure what to do besides the bench workout, i wasn’t sure if you do any assistnace work or not so i decided to just do bodyweight exercises since i can recover quite quickily from them.

[quote]goodfellow90 wrote:
I was doing 5/3/1 for about a year or so. But i recently came across the Smolov squat routine and the smolov jr. routine that has been used for squat, bench or deadlift. So i have decided to try it out for bench.

1/6/12-friday
bench-275(starting max)
day 1 (70 percent)
195x6x6

50 pullups
50 dips

comments- was unsure what to do besides the bench workout, i wasn’t sure if you do any assistnace work or not so i decided to just do bodyweight exercises since i can recover quite quickily from them. [/quote]

im thinking of running a smolov jr in the near future, ill be following this

1/7/12
today’s a day off but just wanted to write on here to say i am pretty dam sore hope i’ll be able to get the required reps/sets tommorrow. Ive been downing protein all day. I just started the paleo diet which mainly is meat, seafood, veggies and fruits, no dairy or grains. the only thing is i am still drinking protein shakes on this diet.

1/8/12
bench
205x5x7(sets)
pullups and dips- a bunch

1/10/12
bench
220x4x8(sets)
pullups-a bunch

comments- was very sore on sunday for the 205 but put it up easy, wasn’t sore at all yesterday but 220 moved quite slow on the last 4 sets and my shoulder didnt feel awesome during it.

i started to do the 4th day a couple days ago and my shoulder felt awful after 3 sets of 235 so i decided the smart thing to do would be not to injure my shoulder by continuing to train that heavy that often so i have given up on the smolov routine for now. i will try it again in the future just not til i am more advanced and my shoulders are stronger.