Smolov Jr and Hepburn Spreadsheets

Been doing 5/3/1 for a while now and felt like I needed a bit of a change to keep things fresh… so after Easter I’m Planning on on running a cycle of Smolov Jr for bench and Squat and and then switch to Hepburn program A. I made some spreadsheets for my self and thought I would post them in case anyone else was interested in a copy. They look a little off in google docs but look ok if you download them as an excel file.

Smolov JR.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApRuEydabQOWdHEtT2hTMWpnaVl4ZkpnekpIV016NXc

Hepburn A
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApRuEydabQOWdE9QUnVhUkhxTndHZmFSN0RnQVBQblE

Thanks for the spreadsheets - I’ve been looking for the Hepburn one for a while.

Little heads up, you put the wrong links underneath each programme haha.

Thanks again.

Quick question, what is Hepburn?

5/3/1 is the best program ever but you can also do smolov jr on monday and hepburn on wednesday, with block periodization on friday. If you have alot of energy you can do bulgarian program on saturday as well.

[quote]daraz wrote:
5/3/1 is the best program ever but you can also do smolov jr on monday and hepburn on wednesday, with block periodization on friday. If you have alot of energy you can do bulgarian program on saturday as well.[/quote]

sounds decent :wink:

[quote]Zerpp wrote:
Quick question, what is Hepburn?[/quote]

Powerlifter from the 50’s.

Here’s a link to the program off powerlifting watch:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/The%20Doug%20Hepburn%20Method.pdf

Great program

Do you live in Calgary there are a few crews around

[quote]daraz wrote:
Do you live in Calgary there are a few crews around[/quote]

No im in Red deer.

Thanks for making these but a quick note on the Hepburn sheet: the “A” program is the singles program as far as I can remember. You have the “B” programmed into the sheets (i.e. working from 8 doubles to 8 triples) but list it as the “A” program. In either case, the starting weight is too low, IMO.

These things vary from lifter to lifter but even the “B” program suggests starting the 8 doubles routine with your 5RM. My 5RM is around 87-88% so 80% isn’t TOO conservative, but 80% for the “A” program is way, way too low. “A” program suggests your 3RM, “B” suggests 5RM and “C” suggests (unofficially) your 8RM.

Thanks for posting!

[quote]KRC wrote:
Thanks for making these but a quick note on the Hepburn sheet: the “A” program is the singles program as far as I can remember. You have the “B” programmed into the sheets (i.e. working from 8 doubles to 8 triples) but list it as the “A” program. In either case, the starting weight is too low, IMO.

These things vary from lifter to lifter but even the “B” program suggests starting the 8 doubles routine with your 5RM. My 5RM is around 87-88% so 80% isn’t TOO conservative, but 80% for the “A” program is way, way too low. “A” program suggests your 3RM, “B” suggests 5RM and “C” suggests (unofficially) your 8RM.

Thanks for posting![/quote]

KRC thanks for your reply, I don’t know much about the hepbern progrmas as i havnt run it as of yet. I got the program off the powerlifting watch website at http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/The%20Doug%20Hepburn%20Method.pdf

It calls the program “A” and uses doubles turning to triples as the month progresses and starting at 80% of your max or 8 rep max. I haven’t looked around to see if there are different variants of it though. I’m going to give this one a run after smolov jr and see how it goes. If you have a link for the other program that your speaking of if you wouldnt mind sending it to me i would like to have a look.

thanks!

He was supposedly the first man to bench 500.

Sure thing. Not sure how to link to individual posts so here’s explanation of the differences between the A, B and C programs from this thread (http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_article/hepburn_solution_for_strength_and_power_1?id=2268213&pageNo=1):

[quote]As far as the pump sets go, he called them the “C” workout, and treated them separately.
At the end of his career he actually split up the two workouts “Power” and “Pump” and used them as I mentioned, one for a few months and the other for a few months.

First 3-4 months:
one set of 5 at 50%
60% x 1
70% x 1
80% x 1
4-10 singles @ 90% (“A Routine”)

when you peak out and cant add any more weight…

Second 3-4 months:
one set of 5 at 50%
60% x 1
70% x 1
80% or thereabouts for 4-10 sets of 3 (“B Routine”)

OR

80% for 3/3/3/3/3 building to 5/5/5/5/5 (“C Routine”)

I know its confusing because most of the online information shows him using the power and pump phases together in the same workout, but he advised me NOT to do that, and mentions the same in his videos.

He simply came to the conclusion that its too much work for most people (and himself once he rounded 50 years old…)

I have Thurston’s bio of him and it also mentions using them together. I can only imagine he used old articles to piece together Doug’s training.

Doug advised me to just focus on using a single rep routine “A” for everything strength related. It worked, and I managed to push my Clean and Jerk up from 140 to 170kg using the “A” routine alone.

For the past few years I have been focusing on cycling the “A” and “B” routines together and managed to push my bench up to 480 starting on the bottom(started at 280 after a layoff)and my squat up to 660 from the bottom up.

I wanted to chime in when I saw this article because Doug helped me all those years ago, and I wanted to “say thanks” in a way. I really hope more of you guys give this a try, it will do wonders for you. [/quote]

I’m pretty sure that Mahler’s article (that that thread is a response to) differentiates between the singles and the doubles to triples routine, though like much that came from from this era of strength training, a lot comes from hearsay, word of mouth, interviews, etc.

Here’s the link to Hepburn’s book:

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Hepburn/Hepburns%20Law/Hepburns%20Law.pdf

Haven’t read it in a while and to be honest I’m not sure the A routine is even mentioned in there, lol.

Anyways thanks again.

I’M BRINGING SEXY BACK. Revitalizing this thread I guess you could say. Not sure if your still around.
Was there an updated spreadsheet somewhere hidden in dungeons?
Is this current spreadsheet even viable?
I am doing Beyond 531 and was considering doing
3 weeks 531, add the 10lbs to lower lifts, 5lbs to upper
then put those numbers in the hepburn spreadsheet, and
use the first month of the spreadsheet.
Then add weights to upper and lower, and do another 3 weeks 531
Back and forth.
Deload in there somewhere.