Smolov Experience Thread For All

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Good Job Repo. From others I have spoken with you should give 2+months inbetween running such an intense peaking cycle.

I also have read not to run the smolov JR for bench too many times in a year due to stress on shoulders.

There are a few similar programs you can run that go a bit longer such as gavrilo for bench or coans bench program. A lot of people who like smolov also enjoy and profit from programs such as sheiko rather than 531

You could also run the introductory phase for the base-meso to ready your body and add time to prepare for tyhe main cycle.[/quote]

Thanks, I think I will give it atleast 2 months, and I agree with not running Jr bench too often my shoulder feels a bit messed up after only running it once.

I personally think the intense phase gets a bum wrap because it doesnā€™t get you the same 40-50 lbs. increase the base phase gets you, which is an unrealistic expectation. The two phases work together with the switching phase to get the most out of you for a meet.

The base phase is an accumulation phase that jackā€™s both your strength and your work capacity and prepares you for the intense phase. The intense phase consolidates the strength gains from the base phase and wrings out the last 10 to 20 lbs. you are capable of before breaking, which is only possible because of the extra work-capacity created by the base phase. On the margins, the last 10-20 lbs. increase from the intense phase is pretty impressive because the program has already jacked your squat by 40-50 lbs in just 18 days. The intense phase also makes you work with heavier weight and less reps, which gives you more confidence for a meet.

I know when I tested after the base phase, I was intimidated by the weight I was otherwise capable of handling. This disappeared after the intense phase and by the end my mind was prepared for the weight as well as my body. I truly think the program should be run together as written, although I can see the allure of just running the base phase.

^^x2

HEY question RE:Belt useage.

Who uses a belt/how often/which cycle/which sets, etcā€¦

Thanks

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
HEY question RE:Belt useage.

Who uses a belt/how often/which cycle/which sets, etcā€¦

Thanks [/quote]
I missed it out in the lighter weeks but generally used it throughout. This time round I will be trying to minimise usage until the heaviest sets in order to ā€œget more out of itā€ and general look more badass.

For a rule of thumb I use a belt for any sets 500+

I didnā€™t really use it on the 4x9 and 5x7 days but pretty much always used it on the 7x5 and 10x3 days.

BTW

Base-Meso: Complete
Previous 1rm: 585
After Base-Meso: 620x1 , 600x2
Intensive Phase: In Progress (starts 28)

Gain of 35lbs, the 620 was good, felt like I might have a had a few pounds more in me but figured id save it for after the intensive phase, would be stupid to injure a knee testing maxes IMO.

^ Gain any bodyweight? Or atleast anything substantial? Iā€™m sure itā€™s not really possible to not gain bodyweight and complete a smolov program lol.

BTW

Gain of 35lbs, the 620 was good, felt like I might have a had a few pounds more in me but figured id save it for after the intensive phase, would be stupid to injure a knee testing maxes IMO.[/quote]

Good job man those are some solid numbers. 7 plates aside after intense?

[quote]Re.po wrote:

BTW

Gain of 35lbs, the 620 was good, felt like I might have a had a few pounds more in me but figured id save it for after the intensive phase, would be stupid to injure a knee testing maxes IMO.[/quote]

Good job man those are some solid numbers. 7 plates aside after intense? [/quote]
Not if I can help it!

Today I started Smolov for my squat. I entered 160kg(352lbs)as current 1RM at 80kg BW, skipped the introductory cycle and started with the base mesocycle. I really hope I can reach 190-200kg by the end of the Intense which judging from you guys looks pretty doable. My first workout took me about 30 minutes to finish and I didnā€™t include any other exercises. Do you guys think thats ok or should I do some more work when the workout is so short?

@Rangers: I got to the mid-high 250 range. The heaviest I weighed was 258 but I average 252ish. I was surprised by my weight during the program because I felt I had lost fat yet was weighing more.

@Repo: Thanks man, 7 plates would be awesome but I would be more than enthusiastic with just hitting 650.

@Spar: -.- what does that even mean? very provocativeā€¦ btw when are you jumping on the Smolov train.

@Spar: -.- what does that even mean? very provocativeā€¦ btw when are you jumping on the Smolov train.[/quote]
Probably after C/P (assuming I stick with that)

@Pederal: I ran Smolov Jr for bench during the Base-meso, Smolov Jr is also benching 4 days a week so I always just benched first and then did squats. The first week isnā€™t bad but the 2nd and 3rd weeks workouts definitely become time consuming. (in particularly the 7x5 and 10x3 days)

MMkay my turn!

Base status: FIN

Starting 1RM A shitty goodmorning esq 180
Tested today @ A non goodmorning-y 195. Twas actually very easy. Def. had more in me, so I will be very eager to test again after intense phase. Also, with all the rep-age, I kinda forgot how to test my max and just do singles. Totally different ball game for me, i dunno.

So ya I gained 15lbs and a zillion times more confidence under the bar. Probably the most important part/more of a gain than the weight I added as far as Iā€™m concerned.

OH and since I am sure people care, i started at about 131lbs and ended about 133.4, ha!

Smolov Jr stats: FIN
starting 120 xā€™s a chicken shit 2
end: 130 x 2 long pause
10 lbs in 3 weeks ainā€™t too shabby. Especially since when I was on 5/3/1 it took me like 4 months to add that much to my bench, heh.

K, MUCH LOVE MA BROTHA"s! Will report back after intense!

@Pederal: I ran Smolov Jr for bench during the Base-meso, Smolov Jr is also benching 4 days a week so I always just benched first and then did squats. The first week isnā€™t bad but the 2nd and 3rd weeks workouts definitely become time consuming. (in particularly the 7x5 and 10x3 days)[/quote]
I guess Iā€™ll stick to squats. These 7x5 and 10x3 days look intimidating and Iā€™ll need all my strength for them. If I feel I can manage maybe next time I run the cycle Iā€™ll add some benching like you did.

Iā€™m so glad that Smolov is in vogue again, haha. I love this program.

I took my squat from 385 to 435 the last time I ran the base. Itā€™s the real deal. Would love to train that way year round.

Yo bob, where you at in Alberta?

Bob run Sheiko, closest style to it that you can run consistently. My intensive ends June26 so ill just run Sheiko after until my meet in October.

Yesterday I finished Week 2 of the base meso. The last two workouts(7x5 with 137,5kg and 10x3 with 145kg) were pure hell. In those 2 days I didnā€™t sleep and eat as much as before so I guess this was the main reason why I had such a hard time completing the workouts. I also entered a VERY optimistic 160 1RM in the spreadsheet which might be another reason why I nearly failed the cycle in those 2 days. I havenā€™t missed any reps so far.

I felt really great and was looking forward to my workouts during the cycle except for the 10x3 day in week 2. I finished it in 90 minutes and towards the end had 10 minutes breaks between sets and 5-6 seconds pauses between reps. Only the 1st set was relatively easy and the 2nd and 3rd were so hard I didnā€™t think I would be able to finish but I just kept saying to myself that I have to do just 1 more set after every set and not that i have to do 6 or 7 more which can be mindcrushing. Just one more week left and I hope I can reach a 180 kg max after that.