Smolov Deadlift

Not sure about doing Smolov for deadlifts as the percentages you are required to lift at that volume would likely create problems (at least for me they would) but I can say I’ve been deadlifting four times per week for the past seven weeks and I think it has helped me.

I tore my left distal bicep tendon at a meet on February 16 and had it surgically repaired in early March. When I was starting back I needed a program with submaximal weights for rehab and at the same time was looking for something to improve my major form flaws, which in the deadlift are not engaging my legs enough and not keeping the barbell close enough to my shins.

After some research I came across an article on T-Nation which talked about deadlifting 4 times per week for a twelve week cycle beginning with very low weights and increasing the weight each week, with the first eight weeks calling for snatch grip deads and the final four weeks calling for conventional deads. Seemed like a perfect option for me in that the snatch grip was the preferred grip to avoid retear of the tendon and also would help me address both of my major form flaws in the deadlift. Percentages to be used weren’t really laid out well in the article so I’ve set my own as listed below.

I’m in week eight of the programming now. For reference, I deadlifted 512 at 183 pounds at the meet when I suffered the bicep tendon tear, I’m 46 years old and natural. Week 1 which began April 15 five weeks post surgery for me was 3x5 at 225. Deads have been done on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday each week. Week 2 was 4x5 255. Week 3 was 5x4 275. Week 4 was 3x3 295. Week 5 was 3x4 315. Week 6 was 4x4 335. Week 7 was last week and was 5x3 350. Up until last week all sets were done without straps or a belt. Had to add straps last week but still lifting beltless. This week is 3x2 375 then the final four weeks are conventional deads four times per week ending with 3x1 455.

I haven’t had any issues with my lower back at all with this programming. A little bit of trap soreness last week and was a little bit worn down but not too bad and it may not have had anything to do with the deadlifting. I’ve done some conventional speed pull sets with 405 pds. in addition to the above programming over the past couple of weeks and my form has definitely improved with the added work. I’m convinced I will add significantly to my conventional max at the end of this cycle but won’t know that for sure for another 6 weeks when I retest.

This post isn’t directly on point as the rep and volume scheme I’ve been using are far different from Smolov but I figured some people reading are likely interested in deadlifting multiple times per week.

Sorry for the thread hijack BB.

No prob you’re welcome.

DB, I completely agree that you can DL multiple times in a week, the Russians and Bulgarians do it with extreme success.

I do however, disagree with using a squat peaking cycle on the deadlift. Just like I disagreed with some kid using Smolov for his strict press. I think Smolov is a great program and used it successfully but I do not see the point in using lift specific programs for lifts they were not built around.

anyways, end derail. Hope the programs works well for OP.

It’s just a little experiment. Appreciate any input tough

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
DB, I completely agree that you can DL multiple times in a week, the Russians and Bulgarians do it with extreme success.

I do however, disagree with using a squat peaking cycle on the deadlift. Just like I disagreed with some kid using Smolov for his strict press. I think Smolov is a great program and used it successfully but I do not see the point in using lift specific programs for lifts they were not built around.

anyways, end derail. Hope the programs works well for OP.[/quote]

Achilles. I agree with you Smolov for guys who have actively been powerlifting for any amount of time likely isn’t a good idea. The only reason the OP poster may get by with it is he hasn’t been actively deadlifting very much lately and wasn’t even sure what his one rep max was so if he sets that number low enough he may be able to complete the cycle. Whether or not it is going to be the most effective program for him to make gains on or not, even if he is able to complete it, is another story.

In for results, be they death or supreme strength!

Definitely not a good idea to use Smolov for deadlifts. Have you tried Sheiko? The CMS and MSIC templates have you deadlift 2-3x a week and with plenty of volume but programmed to allow gains and recovery.

Interested to see how it works out. I know Eric Cressey and several guys at his facility tried the program minus one rep from each set a few years back and all of their pulls either stayed the same or regressed.

Given that, in general, improvements in squats carry over into deads wouldn’t it be smarter to run a smolov squat cycle as its written and have both squats and deads increase?

i just finished running smolov for my squat and smolov jr for bench
my deadlift actually decreased
but it is quickly getting back to where it was after only 2 small sessions
i havent tested my bench or squat yet because im currently in the ‘week off’ period

smolov deadlift would be interesting though, however the strain on your lowerback and rest of yoru body would be ridiculous. theres a reason most programs arent structured with back to back or high frequency deadlift days, but squat and bench arent uncommon to see like this. Id honestly be worried for your health while doing this, the strain on your lower back and posterior chain could set you back through alot more than just fatigue. In my opinion, not a good idea. Take it easy and listen to your body. Plzstaysafe

OP is barely deadlifting over 300 lbs it looks like based on previous posts. So he may well be able to finish the program as written because his deadlift just isn’t going to tax him like it would an intermediate or advanced lifter. But he could probably make much better gains using some other approach, and whether or not he completes the cycle won’t really tell us much of anything as to whether smolov would be a good idea for deadlift.

[quote]Rock978 wrote:
OP is barely deadlifting over 300 lbs it looks like based on previous posts. So he may well be able to finish the program as written because his deadlift just isn’t going to tax him like it would an intermediate or advanced lifter. But he could probably make much better gains using some other approach, and whether or not he completes the cycle won’t really tell us much of anything as to whether smolov would be a good idea for deadlift.[/quote]

Really?

I don’t understand why people are doing such complicated stuff when they are just beginning. An advanced program will not give you more gains than a simpler program.

Based on these charts: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm
You can get by on Starting Strength/Texas method to Intermediate or even advanced. Then you can take it to “elite” on RTS, 5/3/1, or Sheiko. No need to over complicate things. Smolov jr. is Ok at this point too to bring up lagging squats or bench, but I think Smolov squats or any specialization program lasting more than a month isn’t necessary until you’re past elite according to this chart.

[quote]Rock978 wrote:
OP is barely deadlifting over 300 lbs it looks like based on previous posts.[/quote]

lol, if by barely over 300 you mean 405, with a previous 1rm of 440. And that weighing only 155 pounds.

[quote]sechos wrote:
i just finished running smolov for my squat and smolov jr for bench
my deadlift actually decreased
but it is quickly getting back to where it was after only 2 small sessions
i havent tested my bench or squat yet because im currently in the ‘week off’ period

smolov deadlift would be interesting though, however the strain on your lowerback and rest of yoru body would be ridiculous. theres a reason most programs arent structured with back to back or high frequency deadlift days, but squat and bench arent uncommon to see like this. Id honestly be worried for your health while doing this, the strain on your lower back and posterior chain could set you back through alot more than just fatigue. In my opinion, not a good idea. Take it easy and listen to your body. Plzstaysafe[/quote]

I’m betting your DL makes a jump a few weeks from now as you start back to a less intensive training routine.

OP my only advice is don’t max on your bench or squat while doing this. It is a specialization technique so don’t get dumb. go with a maintenance strength mode for the bench please.

Second is I did experiment with this years ago and it was brutal for me but I was also doing much more than I should have been doing and thinking I could hack it. I couldn’t. Still that being said I saw a big jump in performance.

Nothing experimented with nothing gained.

Do a shit load of mobility and recuperation work. Also do your max between base meso and peaking meso without a belt, and use the belt when needed during the actual peaking cycle. This will fudge the numbers lower because you’re not getting the aid of the belt and will also help save your low back some.

[quote]BostjanBavcon wrote:

I find it mind boggling that I can actually deadlift every other day. Before that I was convinced that it’s just not possible.[/quote]

Totally friggin agree.

People get so worked up about it, think it can’t be done. That’s bullshit. If you gear up then maybe not because you’re altering the strength curve and overloading your low back beyond what it can normally handle, but if you’re raw then frequent deadlifting can absolutely be done, and done heavy IF you are prepared. I’ve gone through phases where I pulled 5x a week in some capacity and others where I didn’t at all for a month. Just gotta be prepared for it is all.

If he stayed on track, he should have finished the Base Meso a few days ago, and would be slated to re-test his max in the next couple of days.

How’s it going, Boston?

I like this idea

I got sick after I finished week no 2 (last monday). I was coughing all the time and had a fever. I was forced to take a week off. Sounds like i pussed out I know. :frowning:

I went to the gym again on tuesday it was heavy as fuck. I barely managed to finish 4x9 workout, on thursday i did 5x7 it was still heavy today 7x5 was easy again. On Monday it’s 10x3x150 and then it’s OFF from deadlifting for some time.

I find it amazing that not once during whole training cycle did I experience ANY soreness. Not lower back not upperback not traps no nothing.

I’m going through my log. The days when I felt like shit were 26/5 (10x3x135) and June 11th 4x9x127,5.

That’s it. All other days were fine.

Assistance work was: I ain’t doing jack shit.

BTW I’m doing all pulling from deficit since I’m weak off the floor.

Will report back on 10x3x150 on Monday.

Then it’s on to Smolov Jr. for bench!

10x3x150 kg today. Felt comfortable. Good speed. And that’s it. End of base mesocycle for deadlift.

I’m interested to see what happend to my max. Will it drop due to high volume high frequency or have I gained.

Tomorrow I start Smolov Jr for bench press.