T Nation

Smolov Cycle With Box Squats?

Do I have to do it raw, and has anyone ever tried it with boxsquats? also, how do I add in bench/deadlift work. I might try it over the summer when all I have to do is eat and lift and sleep.

I’ve done smolov’s squat cycle. I did normal back squats, without a box. If you do the program correctly, adding deadlifts and bench will be very difficult. You’ll be drained and won’t have much energy left.

In other words, your other muscles will have to be in maintenance mode.

I wouldn’t deadlift in that time, but you can do something like add bench after day one, upper back after day two, shoulders after day three, etc.

But definitely do not deadlift.

The second time I tried it, I tried using reverse bands, gear, etc on some days and it ended up being too much. The heavier weight was just too draining, and I stopped after 2 weeks.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
I wouldn’t deadlift in that time, but you can do something like add bench after day one, upper back after day two, shoulders after day three, etc.

But definitely do not deadlift.

The second time I tried it, I tried using reverse bands, gear, etc on some days and it ended up being too much. The heavier weight was just too draining, and I stopped after 2 weeks.[/quote]

Ok, I can maybe deadlift after the squat sessions if I feel up to it every other week or so. If I can only go to the gym mon-friday is it still possibly to do the routine? I didn’t see any adjustments for not beigng able to lift on saturday/sundays. Maybe I just won’t be able to do it.

On day 1, the 4x9 day, pull 8x1 with 50%, follow it up with some weighted hyper extenstions and hanging leg raises.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
On day 1, the 4x9 day, pull 8x1 with 50%, follow it up with some weighted hyper extenstions and hanging leg raises.[/quote]

so about the weekend thing… should I just do i mon-tues-thurs-fri or what?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
On day 1, the 4x9 day, pull 8x1 with 50%, follow it up with some weighted hyper extenstions and hanging leg raises.

so about the weekend thing… should I just do i mon-tues-thurs-fri or what?[/quote]

Why can’t you go on the weekends to the gym. I went sun, mon, wed, fri. I wouldn’t recommend your schedule.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
On day 1, the 4x9 day, pull 8x1 with 50%, follow it up with some weighted hyper extenstions and hanging leg raises.

so about the weekend thing… should I just do i mon-tues-thurs-fri or what?

Why can’t you go on the weekends to the gym. I went sun, mon, wed, fri. I wouldn’t recommend your schedule. [/quote]

not open.

You’re gonna end up raping it so badly it’s not gonna be smolov anymore.

I certainly wouldn’t try to squeeze it down to 5 days. If anything do it over 8.

Day 1: Wednesday
Day 2: Friday
Day 3: Monday
Day 4: Tuesday
Day 5: Thursday
Day 6: Monday
Day 7: Wednesday
Day 8: Thursday
Day 9: Monday
Day 10: Wednesday
Day 11: Friday
Day 12: Monday

or something like that at least…

[quote]Hanley wrote:
You’re gonna end up raping it so badly it’s not gonna be smolov anymore.

I certainly wouldn’t try to squeeze it down to 5 days. If anything do it over 8.

Day 1: Wednesday
Day 2: Friday
Day 3: Monday
Day 4: Tuesday
Day 5: Thursday
Day 6: Monday
Day 7: Wednesday
Day 8: Thursday
Day 9: Monday
Day 10: Wednesday
Day 11: Friday
Day 12: Monday

or something like that at least…[/quote]

yeah that’s the problem :(. I’m not a fuk with the program kinda guy, but it looks so promising. Ah well, we’ll see what happens/

I can tell from your questions that you have not done Smolov. If you had, you would not ask for deadlifts. If you have the energy left to deadlift, only do it for some medium singles, I would not do it at all. Upper body work you can do as much as you feel you can cope with.

Remember this is a squat specialization routine and treat it as so.

I’ve done Smolov twice for back squats, and twice for Front Squats, and a few times only base meso cycle for Front Squats.

It simply rocks!

This is the link to my Smoolov thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1708634&pageNo=0

I might cut out the 75% day and bump the friday one to wednesday and the last day to friday. I know it’s not the same, but I think It’ll be managable for me this way.

so it would look like:
week one
monday:70%x9x4
Wednesday:80%x5x7
Friday:85%x3x10

Week two
monday:(70%+10kg)x9x4
Wednesday:(80%+10kg)x5x7
Friday: (85%+10kg)x3x10

Week three
monday:(70%+15kg)x9x4
Wednesday: (80%+15kg)x5x7
Friday: (85%+15kg)x3x10

Week four
Monday: work up to a max
Friday: work up to a max

It’s the epitome of a bastard program, but the logic behind it is the same, and I haven’t squatted 3x a week in almost a year. If I do box squats, I think I might not need to worry about my deadlift, as they are similar movements.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
You’re gonna end up raping it so badly it’s not gonna be smolov anymore.

I certainly wouldn’t try to squeeze it down to 5 days. If anything do it over 8.

Day 1: Wednesday
Day 2: Friday
Day 3: Monday
Day 4: Tuesday
Day 5: Thursday
Day 6: Monday
Day 7: Wednesday
Day 8: Thursday
Day 9: Monday
Day 10: Wednesday
Day 11: Friday
Day 12: Monday

or something like that at least…[/quote]

I was going to suggest something like this or do a mon-wed-fri, and each week cut out a different day, so week 1 skip the 10x3 day, weei 2 skip the 7x5 day, etc.

Since this is a russian program they right in repsxsets right?

No, any of the calculators I’ve seen have been converted.

It should be 4x9, 5x7, 7x5, 10x3 - setsxreps

Spacing the days further apart would be okay, but dropping days from the program is the same as not doing Smolov.

[quote]stallion wrote:
Spacing the days further apart would be okay, but dropping days from the program is the same as not doing Smolov.[/quote]

Neither one is truly Smolov. So what? What program is so perfect that it can’t take any modifications to fit one’s individual needs?

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
stallion wrote:
Spacing the days further apart would be okay, but dropping days from the program is the same as not doing Smolov.

Neither one is truly Smolov. So what? What program is so perfect that it can’t take any modifications to fit one’s individual needs?[/quote]

ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm
they have it switched around. <<<to Hanley.

This isn’t necesarilly about the actual program anymore, it’s seeing if the theory behins it will help me add more weight to my squat, in the months before next years meets start.

[quote]stallion wrote:
I can tell from your questions that you have not done Smolov. If you had, you would not ask for deadlifts. If you have the energy left to deadlift, only do it for some medium singles, I would not do it at all. Upper body work you can do as much as you feel you can cope with.

Remember this is a squat specialization routine and treat it as so.

I’ve done Smolov twice for back squats, and twice for Front Squats, and a few times only base meso cycle for Front Squats.

It simply rocks!

This is the link to my Smoolov thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1708634&pageNo=0 [/quote]

Ive tried it once (and hurt my back lol) doing it, but have learned since (strengthening the lower back thru heavy ab work/back extensions/plenty of OH squats) so once my ATG is 300 (Currently 285) then Im gonna give it a go:0

I know some of you have done the Smolov, what kinda results did some of you get with it?

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
stallion wrote:
I can tell from your questions that you have not done Smolov. If you had, you would not ask for deadlifts. If you have the energy left to deadlift, only do it for some medium singles, I would not do it at all. Upper body work you can do as much as you feel you can cope with.

Remember this is a squat specialization routine and treat it as so.

I’ve done Smolov twice for back squats, and twice for Front Squats, and a few times only base meso cycle for Front Squats.

It simply rocks!

This is the link to my Smoolov thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1708634&pageNo=0

Ive tried it once (and hurt my back lol) doing it, but have learned since (strengthening the lower back thru heavy ab work/back extensions/plenty of OH squats) so once my ATG is 300 (Currently 285) then Im gonna give it a go:0

I know some of you have done the Smolov, what kinda results did some of you get with it?

[/quote]

300lbs? Honestly smolov is pretty hard, and most fail it I think its more for slightly advanced lifters looking to add some more weight to their squat. So not sure if just 300 lbs in squat would make it great program for you, you might get better results doing what ever you are doing currently.