Smolov and Core Work

Do you think that core work is necessary with while doing Smolov? I’m running the full 12 week program. I’m also logging my journey ( Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness )
What do you think about extra core work while doing smolov?

Edit: exercises such as cable crunches, rollouts, situps, maybe some rotation stuff. Just basic stuff.

For the most part I think you should be doing everything you can to de-load your posterior chain during the cycle outside of squatting. I can see maybe some ab work, but Iâ??d avoid total core work. I think youâ??d end up over taxing your lower back. Iâ??d even stay away from things like rows where your chest isnâ??t supported.

I did no core work for 4 months while doing Smolov Jr for squats and then the intro, base, and intense phases. I didn’t find it necessary, because squatting 3-4 times a week beat the heck out of my core. You could try it, but drop it if you start missing reps.

Thanks for the replies.

undesired08, What upper body work did you do on smolov?

I made the mistake of doing seated rows cause I had a great session once. I paid for that for the next 3. Like DD said before, don’t do anything that works your lower back. I benched every once in a while, but not very often. I was putting a lot of effort into the squat sessions and my primary concern was getting my squat to the next level. If you have the energy; supported over-head presses, bench, flies, seated lateral raises, and chest supported rows would all work. The key is to just do the extra work when you have the energy and be conservative with the weights you use (70-80% range). Don’t force yourself to add on to the overly strenuous sessions that you will have just squatting.