T Nation

Smolov... An Experiment?

Yeah, that’ll work. I just did some low volume rack jerks at the start of each session to keep things ticking over. Seemed to help get the old CNS fired up a bit too.

Today I’m going for the new 1RM estimation after the base mesocycle.

I did the squats first and after that tried some benching, rowing, pullups. First week it was surprisingly easy, second - pretty hard, and the third I gave up on the other exercises.

My advice is don’t force it. You can throw some basic stuff the first and maybe second week, but if you’re going for the real Smolov (preparation, base mesocycle, new max, intense mesocycle, new max), make yourself a favour and cut the other exercises to “maintaining my current lifts”

Wow… this is almost a year old now!!

You should give it another go some time now you’ve got the 5000 rep sets thing in your system. Those 9s will be a piece of piss.

[quote]ninearms wrote:
You should give it another go some time now you’ve got the 5000 rep sets thing in your system. Those 9s will be a piece of piss.[/quote]

Lol… I was considering it alright. I’ll also be coming off the back of a cut so it might be the prime time to try it, should see some nice growth all over.

Hanely, if you do intend on doing the routine, you better explain how you’re adapting to it again as well as the benefit of the high rep work you’ve been doing lately!

Finished the first two workoouts… anyone else currently doing this?

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
Finished the first two workoouts… anyone else currently doing this?[/quote]

Im still working it… on the last week of the first phase.
It is one of the best things Ive done for myself on a physical and even mental level to help facilitate the proper mindset for results. Unfortunately, I will have to cut the program short ( I do intend to do the full program within the next 1 to 2 years) but the pain, sweat and tears from just doing the first phase has been all worth. Heres some helpful advice, make sure you get plenty of sleep and food to really maximize your results from doing this form of insanity :slight_smile:

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
Finished the first two workoouts… anyone else currently doing this?[/quote]

Yeah I’m doing it for front squat I’m in week two of base, its ridiculously hard for the high reps for front squats. I literally nearly pass out on the long rep days. My younger sister is doing it for back squat, surprisingly gained immense strength within a few weeks-from barley doing 100lbs for 3 reps struggling to 9 reps for 4 sets easily-. Both are going to do the whole thing, base, switching intense. Already did intro, and half way through base. Its very important to pick your actual raw atg squat and don’t cut your depth or your cheating yourself-unless you have too-

I’ve found taking naps before hand helps a lot as well as Spike drinks for the high rep days. Its been hell in a good way, but I’m looking forward to intense meso a lot more then base.

I don’t do much outdoor stuff anymore like basketball since I’ve been too tired and sore, and eating a lot but it should be worth it. I already feel much stronger and only half way through it.

If anyone has the entire spread sheet for this program, I would really appreciate it being forwarded to my email address I messaged Stallion but apparently he’s been busy and hasn’t answered me back yet. I would LOVE to try this program out…I just need the proper template.

Thanks in advance

[quote]Big_Church wrote:
If anyone has the entire spread sheet for this program, I would really appreciate it being forwarded to my email address I messaged Stallion but apparently he’s been busy and hasn’t answered me back yet. I would LOVE to try this program out…I just need the proper template.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

This is a good template, has intro, meso, switching, and intense. Though sicne its excell it messed up in meso for the increase in weight for the following weeks. You supposed to add 10kg to each lift after the first week of base meso, yet it only does 10lbs when should be 20lbs for good roundoff. Same thing for in third week supposed to add 15kg from the first week yet it only does 15 lbs but should be 30.

Everything else is correct though, good luck its not a program you will ‘love’ when doing it but results are great wouldn’t do it that often though.

If I can’t do the coan deadlift cycle due to my messed up shoulder, I might give this a try.

I may start this in the next two weeks and keep a log. If others are currently doing it on the board, it is good for moral and gets a good bit of banter going.

Just about done with the 1st phase (gonna have to stop after that due to well getting a job offer and moving outta my current situation to a new town…) Still got a couple brutal workouts left. 5 sets of 7 with 245-250, 7 sets of 5 with 260, and 10 sets of 3 with 275-280. Sounds like fun :slight_smile: :frowning:

Hi Guys,

I’m thinking of giving the mighty Smolov squat routine a go and after reading all the threads on it here I still have a few questions and if any of you can help that would be great:

1. I’m currently doing the 5/3/1 which means in volume terms I’m only doing 1 top set and then moving on.

I guess I would need to do the two week Introductory microcycle to build up the volume, but I’m not sure how to set it up. Are you supposed to do three days in a row the first week and then every other day in week 2? How do they line up?

1. Would you also base the max off a training max rather than an “allout” max. E.g. if my 1rm was 190kg raw should I base it on 172kg (90%) or should I base it on the full 190kg?

Any other info and advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

[quote]dheeel wrote:
Hi Guys,

I’m thinking of giving the mighty Smolov squat routine a go and after reading all the threads on it here I still have a few questions and if any of you can help that would be great:

1. I’m currently doing the 5/3/1 which means in volume terms I’m only doing 1 top set and then moving on.

I guess I would need to do the two week Introductory microcycle to build up the volume, but I’m not sure how to set it up. Are you supposed to do three days in a row the first week and then every other day in week 2? How do they line up?

1. Would you also base the max off a training max rather than an “allout” max. E.g. if my 1rm was 190kg raw should I base it on 172kg (90%) or should I base it on the full 190kg?

Thanks

[/quote]
Here’s a link to a more appropriate thread. There’s some really good advice and experiences in there:

To answer your questions, yes you should do the Introductory Cycle. You Squat 3 days in a row, then Lunge 3 days in a row on the first week, and then Squat every other day on the second week.

You can download a spreadsheet here, and it makes life pretty simple:

I based mine of a contest max. If you want to push yourself and get the most out of it, then I would use your true max, or subtract 10lbs for a buffer, but I think using 90% is far too low, and I don’t think you’ll see the same kind of gains.

[quote]Vz wrote:
I usually only do one max set with my training so i wasn’t doing like the 7 or 10 sets, like it says, so just did the one max set, don’t feel the need to do anymore, then threw in some front squats and assistance stuff,

Plus i wasn’t used to the 4 times a week squatting so i did 2 sessions a week this time so it’ll take 8 weeks to do instead of 4, and when i finish this i’ll try it again with 3 sessions a week
[/quote]

Doesn’t this mean that you didn’t do Smolov at all?

(EDIT: Oops, I see now I was replying to a 2-year old post. I hadn’t noticed that.)

[quote]Modi wrote:
dheeel wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

Here’s a link to a more appropriate thread. There’s some really good advice and experiences in there:

To answer your questions, yes you should do the Introductory Cycle. You Squat 3 days in a row, then Lunge 3 days in a row on the first week, and then Squat every other day on the second week.

You can download a spreadsheet here, and it makes life pretty simple:

I based mine of a contest max. If you want to push yourself and get the most out of it, then I would use your true max, or subtract 10lbs for a buffer, but I think using 90% is far too low, and I don’t think you’ll see the same kind of gains.
[/quote]

Great thanks Dude. There is some great info on there and your base meso results are fantastic!

Before undertaking Smolov were you doing a high work capacity program like Sheiko or something a little less volumous?

Also how long were you resting between sets? Was it 3-5 mins or more?

Thanks again

[quote]dheeel wrote:
Great thanks Dude. There is some great info on there and your base meso results are fantastic!

Before undertaking Smolov were you doing a high work capacity program like Sheiko or something a little less volumous?

Thanks again[/quote]

Modified Westside for 2 years, with a Coan/Philippi DL Cycle in the middle, and then I did the 13 week Sheiko Beginner Cycle. I handled the volume of Sheiko very well, so that’s what led me to try Smolov.

During the Base Meso Cycle, I rested 3-4 minutes between sets for the first two weeks and then 4-5 for the last week. During the Intense I am resting 5 minutes between sets, and more if I need it. Last workout was 5x5, and I rested something like 5,6,8,10 between sets. I basically wait until the voices in my head are drowned out by the demons whispering in my ear.

[quote]Modi wrote:
dheeel wrote:

Thanks again

Modified Westside for 2 years, with a Coan/Philippi DL Cycle in the middle, and then I did the 13 week Sheiko Beginner Cycle. I handled the volume of Sheiko very well, so that’s what led me to try Smolov.

During the Base Meso Cycle, I rested 3-4 minutes between sets for the first two weeks and then 4-5 for the last week. During the Intense I am resting 5 minutes between sets, and more if I need it. Last workout was 5x5, and I rested something like 5,6,8,10 between sets. I basically wait until the voices in my head are drowned out by the demons whispering in my ear.
[/quote]

Thanks mate. Looks like I should build up my ability to handle volume before I try this so I can use my actual max in the calculation.