Smoking's Effect?

I’ve had over the last few weeks a little bit of a smoking / chewing relapse for some reasons mostly related to stress I’d assume. I want to quit again and will try my hardest to.

But what exactly would hurt as far as athletic performance?

(Besides the obvious which is Cardio)

I smoke a cigar a day lately and see no negative effects at all in the gym. And it actually helps my diet a bit when im tightetning up.

I read on here that there is an oil. I think its called sesamin thats suppose to conteract some of the effects of smoking but I have not researched it yet.

Im not an athlete I guess I should mention that if I was, I probably would not be smoking.

I have a study (back at home) done on wrestlers who chewed. To paraphrase: there was a significant decrease in leg strength and power in the chewers vs. the non-chewers.

Just google it man. So easy.

Off the top of my head:
Decrease lung power
Decrease heart efficiency
Decrease capillarisation (which will decrease force output)

And it makes you stink, your teeth and fingers go yellow and you end up with the skin of a walking corpse.

Oh and the decrease in capillarisation will mean you could be in line for impotence as well.

I’m not going to list anything you can do to try an reverse the effects as it’s like trying to plug the hole in the titanic with a cork. You are simply doing too much damage by your action. The best way to reverse it is to stop and give yourself 5 years. 5 years for a non-very heavy, long term smoker is the rule of thumb for the lungs to eject the garbage that is being stored in them. It will be longer for a very heavy, long term smoker.

i read that it depletes vitamin E; Antioxidants such as vitamin E act to protect your cells against the effects of free radicals, which are potentially damaging by-products of energy metabolism. Free radicals can damage cells and may contribute to the development of cardiovascular disease and cancer.

Studies are underway to determine whether vitamin E, through its ability to limit production of free radicals, might help prevent or delay the development of those chronic diseases. Vitamin E has also been shown to play a role in immune function, in DNA repair, and other metabolic processes -office of diatery supplements

i smoke it definatetly effects my work outs. i have to take longer rests than i should and if your doing intense workouts by the end of them your end up gettign real flat. quit if you can. jsut remember smoking does nothng for u its all in your head. and no one likes a smoker