Smoking Pot & Lifting Weights

I am about to blaze up and hit the gym right now.

Who wants in?

THC found in marijuana has been shown to decrease testosterone levels of primates by as much as 65%. Definitely something to consider before using it to “aid” your lifting.

http://www.ukcia.org/research/EndocrineEffects.pdf

WTF! weed and heavy objects=DANGER.NO GOOD.

I smoked a few times before going to work on a block foundation when I was laboring. Holy shit, it took so much effort to even shovel cement into a wheelbarrow. My body felt like mush. The hell with trying to workout stoned.

All I wanted to do was sit and eat.

The one bricklayer would smoke semi-regularly and he said it would just put him in the zone to work.

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
THC found in marijuana has been shown to decrease testosterone levels of primates by as much as 65%. Definitely something to consider before using it to “aid” your lifting.

http://www.ukcia.org/research/EndocrineEffects.pdf[/quote]

Thanks for that.

It looks like the data for humans is less clear-cut, though, with some studies finding decreases in T that others are unable to replicate. I will have to track the sources down and read them more carefully.

Also, doesn’t T tend to drop immediately following a session anyway? Maybe smoking pot beforehand actually increases the hormonal rebound following the session. Then again, maybe not, there doesn’t appear to be consensus regarding the human data.

It’s also worth noting that THC doesn’t act alone, it acts with all of the other cannabinoids found the plant, so studies done on THC alone may not tell the whole story.

I don’t want to come off as a marijuana apologist, I know my lifting would certainly suffer if I were high for every session, I’m just pointing out that things are not always as clear-cut as we might like them to be.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
Rhino Jockey wrote:

http://www.ukcia.org/research/EndocrineEffects.pdf

Thanks for that.

It looks like the data for humans is less clear-cut, though, with some studies finding decreases in T that others are unable to replicate. I will have to track the sources down and read them more carefully.

Also, doesn’t T tend to drop immediately following a session anyway? Maybe smoking pot beforehand actually increases the hormonal rebound following the session. Then again, maybe not, there doesn’t appear to be consensus regarding the human data.

It’s also worth noting that THC doesn’t act alone, it acts with all of the other cannabinoids found the plant, so studies done on THC alone may not tell the whole story.

I don’t want to come off as a marijuana apologist, I know my lifting would certainly suffer if I were high for every session, I’m just pointing out that things are not always as clear-cut as we might like them to be.
[/quote]

Excellently stated. One can apply that philosophy to any number of studies.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
I smoked a few times before going to work on a block foundation when I was laboring. Holy shit, it took so much effort to even shovel cement into a wheelbarrow. My body felt like mush. The hell with trying to workout stoned.

All I wanted to do was sit and eat.

The one bricklayer would smoke semi-regularly and he said it would just put him in the zone to work.
[/quote]

I agree with this. Although I have not smoked in many years, but it depends on the weed. Some motivates you into action like lifting, painting your house, building a block wall, while other types motivate you to sit and eat and laugh.

I think pot would be great for bulking. For certain people, anyway.

Focus in the gym + eating a ton of food after = success

I like to shoot some low grade tar before i work-out. Most people have the idea that it makes you all down but let me tell you its a good pick me up when Im flexing in my speedos infront of the windows that face the parkinglot in my gym.

God, those of us who have been around this site for a while, how many times has this topic come up? At least 3 times a year for the last five years.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
God, those of us who have been around this site for a while, how many times has this topic come up? At least 3 times a year for the last five years.[/quote]

I think you give it too little credit, seems like once every other month at least.

ahhh…weed and leg day…
Being hungry while wanting to vomit.

[quote]Artem wrote:
ahhh…weed and leg day…
Being hungry while wanting to vomit.[/quote]

hmmm…there might be something to this because weed suppresses nausea if i’m not mistaken…leg days without the vomit!? No no no…that’s too much to hope for…

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Artem wrote:
ahhh…weed and leg day…

hmmm…there might be something to this because weed suppresses nausea if i’m not mistaken…leg days without the vomit!? No no no…that’s too much to hope for…[/quote]
No… it didn’t suppress it at all. I would highly not recommend doing legs stoned.

Also take into consideration marijuana affeccts the CNS. I think you need your CNS if your lifting heavy but I my be wrong. I’m guilty too tho, damn you mary jane!

i have no problem doing some isolation lifts for reps when i’m blazed. i think any lifter has done enough curls in their life to have their heads around the movement even when high! i try to avoid compound movements as much as possible because i don’t feel as though i perform them as well.

swimming for your cardio session is pretty awesome when you’re high, i highly recommend it! :slight_smile:

[quote]Artem wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Artem wrote:
ahhh…weed and leg day…

hmmm…there might be something to this because weed suppresses nausea if i’m not mistaken…leg days without the vomit!? No no no…that’s too much to hope for…
No… it didn’t suppress it at all. I would highly not recommend doing legs stoned.

[/quote]

That was funny as hell.

Long ago, I mean LONG AGO!! I loved to get high, go to the gym, and lose myself for a few hours. The isolation it afforded me was bliss. I could move the weights with complete concentration, and steel rigid tempos. Mind you, I couldn’t run three steps without puking. But the weights…Oh the lovely weights…my .02

[quote]VON_Ballack wrote:
swimming for your cardio session is pretty awesome when you’re high, i highly recommend it! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Good call, although you may get distracted and just float and dive around.

Sorry, I know this forum is 8 months old, but I just wanted to add a little.

Unfortunately Pot has the tendency to get my heart rate up and make it harder to relax… but it’s a great match for when I’m in the gym. Personally I get motivated while I’m high; it’s a powerful psycho stimulant to me. I feel less pain and can push through reps more easily.

I do agree that it’s better for isolation workouts because it might throw of some peoples multitasking coordination… but then again I’m far better off getting blazed before a soccer game or competative sport.

Some of the best squats I’ve ever done I was blown out of my gorge… I’m almost uncomfortably high and the only other place I have to channel that energy is into my weight lifting… ex I weigh 150 and I was doing squats with 270 for 7 reps in 2 sets.

It affects everyone differently obviously.

Anyone know where you can get a good vap that isn’t too expensive?

I usually smoke through a bong or a blunt but I’m thinking I should start taking better care of my lungs